+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Khan is an amazing resource. We use it with our DD all the time. It's amazing bc you pick and choose when main****** is ok. When it suits to supplement, it's more than ok. But main****** is damaging isn't it?

And IMO it is arrogance. I don't have a look at a textbook on throat surgery then operate on my child. Why? Bc I'm not trained in it. So why ido people with no formal training think it's okay to mess with their kids future bc they think teaching is easy? There is a reason teaching is 4 years at uni.
    Yes, and that reason is because you are being taught to manage and teach a large group of children you don't know. It's apples and oranges to meeting your own child's needs.

I'm not sure why some people feel threatened or upset by homeschooling. Legitimate, registered homeschooling that matches the standards of the national syllabus and is governed by a home education body and monitored by the education minister. What's the issue?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (07-05-2017),Winter Is Coming  (07-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Is Coming View Post
    What sort of maths do you use every day?
    All sorts. Algebra. Geometry. Basic calculus. Down to addition, subtraction, telling time, measuring. The first 3 I'd struggle with teaching a high school student and I'm uni educated (just not in a maths based field lol)

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Gentoo  (07-05-2017),Tiny Dancer  (07-05-2017),Winter Is Coming  (07-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BornToBe View Post

I'm not sure why some people feel threatened or upset by homeschooling. Legitimate, registered homeschooling that matches the standards of the national syllabus and is governed by a home education body and monitored by the education minister. What's the issue?
    Honestly, homeschooling isn't my cup of tea. But I don't have a huge issue with following a curriculum. It's unschooling I have the big issue with. And I think 99% of those in the thread are the same. I believe done well, homeschooling can work. Unschooling? nope. It just smacks of lazy parenting dressed up as new aged 'I'm child centred' excuses.

Home schooling is maybe the best of both worlds. Unschooling is not the same.

6. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (08-05-2017),BettyV  (07-05-2017),BornToBe  (07-05-2017),Chippa  (07-05-2017),Full House  (07-05-2017),Gentoo  (07-05-2017),gingermillie  (07-05-2017),Happymum2  (07-05-2017),HollyGolightly81  (07-05-2017),Mama Mirabelle  (10-05-2017),SSecret Squirrel  (07-05-2017),TheGooch  (07-05-2017),Tiny Dancer  (07-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    But what about conflicts? I'm not talking about bullying...but hanging out with similar peer groups is not the same as attending a school with a few hundred kids from all walks of life day in and day out. Playground politics aren't always easy to navigate (and the schools my kids go to accommodate the kids who struggle to fit in socially), but important social skills are learnt through that imo, and I just can't see how you can mimic that in a home school environment. A few hours once a week is not the same as 6hrs per day 5 days a week. It's just not.

As for uni, I got in to uni via alternate pathways...can't say it was easy though. Lots of independent formal education, sitting down listening to someone give you information, lots of worksheets (tut prep), and lots of structured testing. Hours and hours and hours of that stuff. At the end of it the degree I got in to was based on my formal marks. Not once did I go on a field trip. During my degree I did lots of prac...formal setting, uniform required, required to conform to the standards of the place I was.doing prac at, and having to deal with all walks of life. Not everyone was friendly either. How do kids who have been homeschooled cope in such an environment?
    I am genuinely curious, which is why I would love to hear from an adult who was homeschooled. No one I know or work with was homeschooled.
    I would too. But I don't often ask people where did you go to school? So who knows if they were homeschooled. With all the preconceptions and ignorance about the subject, I'd not be surprised if people don't mention the fact they were home educated.

I don't think playground politics are healthy or necessary to a developing person. I think they can be downright damaging. So many adults were bullied as children and continue to be bullied as adults, in the workplace. I don't find myself involved in any situation that is anything like school was. If you meet jerks in life, you avoid them, you don't have to tolerate them like you did in school. I'm fine with my kids only spending time around other people who respect them, that's ok with me.

Conflict management? Happens about 45 times a day in this house of three children and 2 adults.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (07-05-2017),Winter Is Coming  (07-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Is Coming View Post
    "A personalized learning resource for all ages

Khan Academy offers practice exercises, instructional videos, and a personalized learning dashboard that empower learners to study at their own pace in and outside of the classroom. We tackle math, science, computer programming, history, art history, economics, and more. Our math missions guide learners from kindergarten to calculus using state-of-the-art, adaptive technology that identifies strengths and learning gaps. We've also partnered with institutions like NASA, The Museum of Modern Art, The California Academy of Sciences, and MIT to offer specialized content."

https://www.khanacademy.org/about

How is it fascinating that Khan Academy is being cited as a resource?

It's not arrogance, it's wisdom.
    Khan academy is recommended by Qld State Schools for extra homework. I think the fascination comes from the fact that you are rejecting facets of main****** schooling while utilising resources used by main****** schools.

I would also like to add that after watching my DD use it at home, Khan academy appears to me to be a resource best used for testing of and consolidating knowledge and understanding. It does not appear to be a resource to go to learn the base concepts.

I would like to know how unschooled highschool age children can access university level courses. Can you please clarify exactly what those courses are and how they are accessed in the absence of formal schooling results? Are you accessing content from Australian universities or something overseas? For example, I am aware that some American universities have content online that can be accessed for free by anyone in the world, but you then need to pay to sit their exams. Is that what you are referring to? Or something else?
    Last edited by SSecret Squirrel; 07-05-2017 at 15:02.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default WWYD? Trouble settling into big school

This thread has really taken off and I still need to catch up, but I just wanted to point out that there's a pretty big difference between 'homeschooling' and 'unschooling.' I don't think they should be lumped together.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 07-05-2017 at 15:07.

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

amyd  (07-05-2017),atomicmama  (08-05-2017),binnielici  (07-05-2017),Little Miss Sunshine  (07-05-2017),Tiny Dancer  (07-05-2017),Winter Is Coming  (07-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    At my children's local public school there are 42 different nationalities/languages. You can not match that kind of diversity anywhere else no matter how hard you try.

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

amyd  (07-05-2017),Elijahs Mum  (07-05-2017),Full House  (07-05-2017),Gentoo  (07-05-2017),magicmashie  (07-05-2017),Tiny Dancer  (07-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    This thread is really taken off and I still need to catch up, but I just wanted to point out that there's a pretty big difference between 'homeschooling' and 'unschooling.' I don't think they should be lumped together.
    You're totally right and I like to chime in to these discussions as a more structured homeschooler, as there are always plenty of opinions from unschoolers in these threads.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (07-05-2017),binnielici  (07-05-2017),HollyGolightly81  (07-05-2017),Tiny Dancer  (07-05-2017),Winter Is Coming  (07-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes the issue is the unschooling. Totally sounds like it in airy fairy whatever goes. If we want to "learn" at the beach today let's go. Ha really? So people seem to view this "education" as free and open. In my opinion it's completely the opposite. Only having a parent as a teacher and siblings as your classmates is so limiting. I actually feel really sorry for these kids because it's going to be a tough battle for them fitting into society and trying to get a job in so many fields.

I also think the issue is the fact the unschooling crew make it out like all our kids are getting brainwashed as they are getting a formal education. Like the government is out to get us or something

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BornToBe View Post
    You're totally right and I like to chime in to these discussions as a more structured homeschooler, as there are always plenty of opinions from unschoolers in these threads.
    I'm interested in your experiences as a homeschooler. As others have noted though, it is very different to child led unschooling.

What ages are your children? Will you be homeschooling them throughout highschool? Can homeschooled children obtain a university entrance score in their state? What do you do when the curriculum exceeds your knowledge of a subject? Or your child wants to study a subject at a senior level that you have no aptitude for so cannot teach?