+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think you need to tackle his outlook first.
    You are not a 'kill joy' to be concerned about money- your money (as in you and him).
    Sit down with him and tell him you do not believe that you can afford to stay home, as the house doesn't stick to a budget.

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks everyone! Much appreciated!

We have had a nice chat this morning about budgeting and agreed that i would create an entire budget of all our expenses and incomes, all the expected baby's expenses and plan/budget for the next year. Wow! Last time i tried that it ended up scrunched up in a little ball and I only got grumpiness for my troubles!

This time i brought the subject up at a better moment, stayed 100% calm, had facts and arguments and got him involved in the decision making.... worked way better! hahaha

thanks again!

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Galdoria For This Useful Post:

frankie46  (06-05-2017),nattie84  (06-05-2017),SuperGranny  (22-05-2017),Yogis Mumma  (06-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by rosey82 View Post
    It's not so much the baby that costs us money, but living on one wage. PPL lasts 18 weeks, plus any leave you have from work. Then you're on to savings.
    I BF, use cloth nappies/wipes. The total set up for baby #1 was about 3k and much less for #2.
    This is why I'm returning to work 7m after DS was born. Yes we can survive on one wage but I'm sick of having to justify myself when I want new clothes, kids clothes or a haircut. Plus we are not saving anything.
    I work 2 days a week - enough to cover daycare, groceries, phone bill and a few nice things for me & the kids. Then we can go back to using DH wage for mortgage & savings.
    Also try to agree on a set amount of money you each get to spend per week no questions asked (we each get $50) then the rest is family money.
    I also returned to work before 12m each time for my own sanity. I like my work. I am very fortunate I can work part time and have what I think is the best if both worlds.
    What kind of work do you do? I feel the same way at the moment and contemplating 2 days to cover the same expenses you listed!! Funnily enough on my way right now to get haircut

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kuwtk View Post
    What kind of work do you do? I feel the same way at the moment and contemplating 2 days to cover the same expenses you listed!! Funnily enough on my way right now to get haircut
    I'm a pharmacist - so picking up 1-2 days a week is relatively easy in my area as there is a big shortage right now and I've been here a while so have lots of contacts. The hours suck 8-6 so will be relying on family or after school care next year when DD goes to school.
    Enjoy your haircut!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

kuwtk  (07-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would pick staying home with bub as long as possible and tightening your belt ALWAYS over going back to work early. Babies are only little once and change so fast.
    Have you looked at your general household expenses (mortgage, power, insurances, phone/net etc.) to see if these are the best deals/rate? Also how much are you/DH spending on groceries, eating out, gym/hobbies, miscellaneous spending and can this be lowered at all? Most people would be surprised how much 'extra' money can be found if needed just by a few phone calls and adopting a frugal mindset.
    Also just for budgeting purposes worst case scenario (formula and disposables) I would add about $1800 for the first 12months as costs for bubs. For us as formula and disposable nappy users I have worked out an average $35 per week cost for everything for a healthy bub (healthy meaning only basic baby medicine like baby Panadol and nappy cream required + normal formula and everyday food). Babies really do not need much beyond love, food, a clean bottom and a roof over their head. I second buying some baby gear second hand to save money now.
    Is it possible to try and start living now on one wage and saving the other to give you a buffer? It would also allow you and DH to see if you want to continue living like that once maternity leave/ppl runs out. Also include any family tax/Centrelink etc. into your calculations if eligible.
    Anyway good luck with it all.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Isabellabean For This Useful Post:

Galdoria  (08-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    hum family benefits and Centerlink... that the next headache! Trying to figure out what we're entitled to, when and how to ask for it.... definitely not looking forward to it.
    I suppose the "being in charge of our finance" deal isn't all that sweet sometimes.

I have started going back through our expenses of the past few months over the weekend and i have already have some not so pleasant surprise. We are spending more than i thought on a few things... but we're in the right direction once we'll have that sorted.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Expenses and budget for baby's first year

@Galdoria I'd recommend going to a Centrelink office one morning, as soon as they open (so you're not stuck queuing) and apply for a Centrelink number/get yourself registered in their system. Most of the processes can be done online but I personally found it beneficial to go in person...same with my hubby as he's eligible for father pay for 2 weeks.

If you do go, take decent ID: drivers licence, bank card, passport and marriage certificate if you use your married name

I haven't found Centrelink overwhelming but I think that's because I went early and didn't get stuck in a line and I didn't leave until I felt my qs were answered

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Yogis Mumma For This Useful Post:

Galdoria  (22-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    When you create your budget I would up your power bills by 25%, remember you'll be home more often so more lighting, cooking, heating.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

Galdoria  (22-05-2017),Yogis Mumma  (21-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks, the advice about Centrelink makes a lot of sense. Because i didn't grew up here, some of the departments and services in Australia confuse me a lot still.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie46 View Post
    Babies aren't that expensive in the first year. They're expensive to prepare for! They become more expensive at pre school age I'd say (depending on activities), and more expensive again at school time, obviously a hell of a lot more expensive if you choose private schooling.

A lot of it will depend on your situation and the flexibility your workplace provides, if any. How much maternity leave can you take? What sort of hours will you have to go back to afterwards? If you can have a reasonable amount of time home with bub then I'd be making that happen, you will be very tired even if bub is a good sleeper! Then if you can go back part time and manage day care fees that would be ideal.

Maybe write a list / make an Excel spreadsheet of all your expenses as they are right now. Then do another one for if you didn't work. Point out to DH exactly what you'd be giving up. Maybe then he might understand a little better?
    I'd just like to point out that my 5 year old is at a low fee paying private school, $1800 a year, and that is far less than I paid in childcare the year she was in kindy. She had 4 days a week between Kindy and childcare, and still cost me $7500 per year after rebates. When she wasn't at Kindy, the childcare was more expensive.

I agree with the others, the main cost for a baby is the initial set up. Budget some money for new clothes every two months or so, because that's how often they go up a size sometimes. But hopefully you'll get baby clothes as gifts in a few sizes, so this won't be a huge issue. After about 2, they tend to only go up a size once or twice a year, but you'll find yourself shopping for clothes in summer and again in winter each year. The main expense is clothes, really. They don't eat much more as young children than just the two of you. The biggest cost of having kids in the beginning is if you have them in childcare.