+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 65
  1. #51
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,025
    Thanks
    242
    Thanked
    391
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by M'LadyEm View Post
    Wow 3am to announce retirement. He obviously wanted to go out with a bang

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    5,161
    Thanks
    1,767
    Thanked
    3,751
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by sparklebug View Post
    Wow 3am to announce retirement. He obviously wanted to go out with a bang
    That's what I said to DH. Maybe he'd been up all night fretting about it so they called the meeting before he lost his nerve or changed his mind haha. But the speculation towards the end was about his retirement and they were all saying it would be no surprise given his age. Which makes the 3am meeting call even more bizarre. Why couldn't they just make the call during business hours?

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

    HearMeRoar  (04-05-2017),sparklebug  (04-05-2017)

  4. #53
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    5,339
    Thanks
    5,293
    Thanked
    5,091
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Prince Phillip is retiring in August
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39802636

  5. #54
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    5,339
    Thanks
    5,293
    Thanked
    5,091
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by M'LadyEm View Post
    That's what I said to DH. Maybe he'd been up all night fretting about it so they called the meeting before he lost his nerve or changed his mind haha. But the speculation towards the end was about his retirement and they were all saying it would be no surprise given his age. Which makes the 3am meeting call even more bizarre. Why couldn't they just make the call during business hours?
    Maybe so they had enough time to make the proper media announcement at 10am? Probably heaps of people to properly notify, things to be done, etc before they can formally let the media know. Also maybe thought a middle of the night call would hopefully dodge media speculation?

  6. #55
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    5,161
    Thanks
    1,767
    Thanked
    3,751
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think all the middle of the night meeting call did was draw the attention of the media haha. DH was saying that apparently the BBC had cleared its programming expecting major news that they would have a rolling coverage of all day. Doubt they'll be able to stretch this out all day.

  7. #56
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    5,339
    Thanks
    5,293
    Thanked
    5,091
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by M'LadyEm View Post
    I think all the middle of the night meeting call did was draw the attention of the media haha. DH was saying that apparently the BBC had cleared its programming expecting major news that they would have a rolling coverage of all day. Doubt they'll be able to stretch this out all day.
    I agree it only drew attention but I assume that was their reason behind it. He's not retiring until August, so still attending all events already scheduled so it's not like it's an emergency retirement.

  8. #57
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    2,003
    Thanks
    2,548
    Thanked
    1,791
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Snore.

    I was hoping for something about Harry's paternity! Lol!

  9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

    BabyG4  (05-05-2017),HollyGolightly81  (04-05-2017),Tinachris  (04-05-2017),Wild Rose  (04-05-2017),Wise Enough  (04-05-2017),YeahYeahYeah  (04-05-2017)

  10. #58
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,111
    Thanks
    4,685
    Thanked
    2,000
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by sparklebug View Post
    Wow 3am to announce retirement. He obviously wanted to go out with a bang
    Sounds like a right dummy spit, doesn't it.

    Let's see if he DOES show up to any events between now and his retirement.
    Sounds to me like they were trying to get a story straight.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Phony For This Useful Post:

    sparklebug  (04-05-2017)

  12. #59
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Country WA
    Posts
    7,735
    Thanks
    4,707
    Thanked
    4,099
    Reviews
    13
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Were they actually summoned at 3am though? I can't remember which news site it was, but it didn't read like they were called that early. And I read the meeting of the staff was at 10am. I think somewhere along the line, someone jumped the shark. I blame the French saying he was dead! That started the snowball with everyone expecting a huge announcement!

    Either way, it's an odd way of doing it. You'd think they would have just put a meeting in the books next week. It's not like it's effective immediately.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

    Wild Rose  (04-05-2017)

  14. #60
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    5,339
    Thanks
    5,293
    Thanked
    5,091
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    Were they actually summoned at 3am though? I can't remember which news site it was, but it didn't read like they were called that early. And I read the meeting of the staff was at 10am. I think somewhere along the line, someone jumped the shark. I blame the French saying he was dead! That started the snowball with everyone expecting a huge announcement!

    Either way, it's an odd way of doing it. You'd think they would have just put a meeting in the books next week. It's not like it's effective immediately.
    It probably was all prearranged amongst the staff and the media has just blown it out of proportion.

  15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

    Californication  (04-05-2017),sparklebug  (04-05-2017),TheGooch  (04-05-2017),Wild Rose  (04-05-2017)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 45
    Last Post: 18-06-2011, 13:32
  2. Emergency!! how 2 cook porkchops!!!
    By MeeG in forum General Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-07-2006, 15:55
  3. Emergency Calls From Mobile Without Sim Card - A Lesson From An 8 Year Old!
    By Maghan in forum Pregnancy & Birth General Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 25-04-2006, 00:02
  4. How well do you handle emergencies?
    By Puk in forum General Chat
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 24-11-2005, 12:48

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
TreeHutVillageWe offer a secure, quick and easy way to hire and lend baby equipment. It directly connects families across Australia ...
REVIEWS
"Made bed time less anxious"
by Meld85
My Little Heart Whisbear - the Humming Bear reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›