+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks monnie24 were you categorised high risk immediately cause of your mental health issues or was it for other reasons

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have done both. I had my first children in a private hospital In Adelaide with a private OB who let me have an epidural before contractions even started, it was a completely pain free birth and lovely, and the food was good, the scones were amazing and the daytime staff were pleasant. Night time staff, not so nice. For my second child I even stayed an extra 3 days (at my own expense approx $300 a day back then, it was a while ago now). I had my own room the whole time. There was the option of putting the baby in the nursery overnight if you wanted to sleep and only be woken for feeds.

My last children I had under the public system in country Victoria and an epidural wasnt even an option (which was a HUGE shock) the staff were all angry and over worked and pain relief for anything, even panadol seemed to be an enormous drama. I had my own room once and then shared with a first time mum for the other time. Sharing sucked, I swear I could recite her freaking birth story word for word to this day I heard it so many times and her visitors NEVER freaking left.

So on one hand, private was 'nicer' but the HUGE bills for gaps didnt do my mental health any good afterwards! Gaps for the OB, gaps for the epidural, gaps for the physio, gaps for the extra days... thousands of dollars in "gaps".

Public wasnt as pleasant, much shorter stay, felt like I was being rushed out even after a c-section, but had I not known private I would have been none the wiser and the fact I paid absolutely nothing was nice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I went public with both of mine. First went horribly wrong but the hospital was amazing, very supportive in terms of mental health care as well. I got a private room and my hubby stayed with me for the entire stay. Second Bub is due next Friday. Same public hospital again. Been very pleased with the level of perinatal mental health and how well I've been looked after. I really struggled with the long waiting time of my last OB appointment and for the one today she just told me to turn up first thing and got me in straight away before anyone else.
    I think it really depends on the hospital but I couldn't fault the public system or the care I've received so far for either pregnancy. I will wait and see if I get a private room again this time (as requested by my psychologist at the hospital) as that is the only thing that could change my opinion at this stage.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good luck I hope everything goes well for you and thank you for sharing, I already know that public hospitals here won't allow my husband to stay

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerBaker View Post
    Good luck I hope everything goes well for you and thank you for sharing, I already know that public hospitals here won't allow my husband to stay
    Then I'd go private if you can't have a support person stay with you. I've had both public & private experience & have an ongoing mental illness. The 2 issues I had with public is continuity of care (which you will avoid due to private ob) & overnight support (I had post birth complications).. for me, the sleep deprivation took its toll on my mental health & tipped me to near breaking point- as a new mum dealing with a brand new bub, declining physical health & a mental illness, having no overnight support made me feel helpless.