+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Private or public hospital better for people mental health when having a baby

Good Morning, as a lot of you's will know I asked a question last week about private health insurance, feedback was great thank you. I have just received the policy in the mail and wanted to ask the following.

I have some mental health problems stemming from growing up in a abusive family, just wanting to know if it would be better to have a baby in private or public i should mention either way we intend to have private ob due to continuity for care. If anyone has experience with this would love to hear your advice

We cannot start ttc for another 6 months but want to make sure I have the policy write before 14 day cooling off period ends
    Last edited by RangerBaker; 04-05-2017 at 09:01.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think both are fine the only real difference from my experience in private over public is you may get a private room after delivery not always a guarantee depending where you deliver and the food maybe better and in private I do believe you partner can stay afterwards... Some public offer this as well but depends where you go... I went public for my last baby and they were wonderful I had a preterm baby and had a social worker visit me everyday as I was in hospital from 16 weeks till when she was born at 27 weeks. I felt supported and cared for. The midwives were wonderful and I had the one ob look after me and saw me daily as well as the hospital ran by an team that you were put into and a private ob was assigned and he really did come every day and often stayed to chat and see how I was going. I ended up having a private room too but maybe because I had to stay so long... I think with private you can stay a little longer after the birth too if you choose. I think if I was to have another I would go public again it was lovely. The only down side I think from others stories is that with public you maybe assigned an appointment at 10am but not seen till 12 due to high demand so you can't be as choosy about your appointments. Hope this helps

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for that, I am really hoping others might also reply to give me a better perspective

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've only had both my kids in private as that is what I prefer. Same OB for every appt mostly ontime 99% of the time for appts. I was never rushed for the next person to come through for their appt. Hospital wise I had them in 2 diff private hospitals. DS1 I had the same midwife with me the entire time with my OB towards the end I was then moved to my own private double room. Nothing was ever an issue if I wanted something. Ds was a c-sec again I had the same midwifes throughout my entire stay. The care was amazing even better then my first. Had my own private room again this time there was even built in baby baths on the room as each hospital is different. With my first the private & public where next to each other, with ds2 the hospital is stand alone private only so no public patients at all.

I think as you have said you have some mental issues I think if you went public you could become just a number I'm not saying you will but it always a possibility. Where as if you go private all the way you'll have the same care from the same people the entire time.

With your phi you could also just have your own policy covering obstetrics as your dh doesn't need it only you to and this can Bring down the cost a bit

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think it depends on where you live. My local public hospital has heaps of services available as part of their antenatal service for people with mental health problems, whereas my friends who have birthed at the local private aren't even asked if they have any mental health problems.
    Contact your local hospitals and have a chat to them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    In my experience, public vs private didn't affect my mental health during pregnancy / birth.

Factors that did result in my developing PND and antenatal anxiety had more to do with a trauma experienced during pregnancy, childbirth and life afterwards. My caregivers and the hospital I gave birth in didn't really factor into it for me. I had two public and two private. If anything the bills we had to pay from going private increased my stress levels.

However, if you believe that continuity of care will give you peace of mind and alleviate some stress, then going private with an ob may be for you. It is important to keep in mind though that there is no guarantee that your ob will be available to attend the birth eg he/she could be on holidays or the baby may arrive on their weekend off and you their partner attends instead.

Lots of public hospitals offer midwife led care and birth centres which is are options in the public system for continuity of care.

ETA I've just reread your post and realised that you will be having an ob regardless and are just asking about the hospital. I would suggest a public hospital with a NICU. That way if anything does go wrong and you deliver early or if the baby experiences problems soon after birth, your baby will still be in the same hospital as you.
    Last edited by SSecret Squirrel; 04-05-2017 at 16:43.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think it may depend on the hospital and ob. I had both my babies in a private hospital. I have anxiety/depression and I was able to see a psych who had his office at the hospital and he also visited patients in hospital after birth too. My ob was fantastic in helping with referrals etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for the responses, secret squirrel not to be rude if you had your time over what specifically about the birth would you change. I suffer from bipolar, manic depression, borderline personality disorder and post traumatic stress so I guess for me when the time comes I want it to be a good experience, if I went public it would be Liverpool public if I went private it would be st George private.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Twinkly what state are you in and where did you deliver

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm in Brisbane. Had both babies ar North West hospital.