+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default ADHD & trichotillomania

Hi,

Just hoping anyone may be able to offer any advice or have experience with this.

After years of trying diet and psychological strategies for my 11yr old DD and her ADHD, we have recently started trialling stimulants. (About 2 months ago)

It seemed that she settled into them quite well and her teacher reported an immediate massive improvement in the classroom. We are still tweaking the right one and she is currently taking Vyvanse 30mg.

But.. it seems that she has developed trichotillomania ☹️ I have observed her plucking at her eyebrows and eyelashes to the point she now has half an eyebrow missing. She has plucked out most of her pubic hair. And admits that she also goes for her leg hair. I have only noticed the eyebrow plucking in the past week which is how I realised what she's been doing to her private parts. (I had noticed for the last couple of months she had her hands down her pants a lot just before bedtime or other times when lounging on her bed or in front of the Tv. I didn't realise what she was doing). She doesn't appear stressed or anxious when she's doing this.

I can't rule out she never did this prior to stimulants but I'm pretty sure it has at the least appeared to have intensified. My gut instinct is to just stop them, but then all the other issues she had that drove us to trial medication are there for her.

Her psych doesn't seem to think it would be the right thing to stop the stimulants and to seek psychological support for the Trich.

Anyways, hoping for any advice please. Just feel so sorry for my baby

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default ADHD & trichotillomania

@maddysmama I have no experience with ADHD or anything but your post made my heart break a little for your dd that must be so tough for you both.
    Just another thing to investigate - my dd started pulling her hair out around her temples and forehead (to the point it was stubble) a year or so ago (she's almost 2) and her Paediatrician put her on iron supplement (ferroliquid). She had had a history of severe anaemia from about 7 months old which we got on top of and stopped the iron supplements and then thr hair pulling started. Anyway the paed said that behavioral issues like hair pulling can be associated with iron deficiency and put her back on ferroliquid and the hair pulling did settle a lot. My dd was only doing it at bedtime mainly almost like a distracting soothing thing. Iron might be worth a shot for your daughter you never know.
    The other thing you might try is getting her to wear mittens or gloves if she's happy to do so. It's an unconscious habit so really hard to stop. Big hugs to you both I hope you can find a solution that works xo
    Last edited by gingermillie; 02-05-2017 at 19:51. Reason: Typo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    @maddysmama I have no experience with ADHD or anything but your post made my heart break a little for your dd that must be so tough for you both.
    Just another thing to investigate - my dd started pulling her hair out around her temples and forehead (to the point it was stubble) a year or so ago (she's almost 2) and her Paediatrician put her on iron supplement (ferroliquid). She had had a history of severe anaemia from about 7 months old which we got on top of and stopped the iron supplements and then thr hair pulling started. Anyway the paed said that behavioral issues like hair pulling can be associated with iron deficiency and put her back on ferroliquid and the hair pulling did settle a lot. My dd was only doing it at bedtime mainly almost like a distracting soothing thing. Iron might be worth a shot for your daughter you never know.
    The other thing you might try is getting her to wear mittens or gloves if she's happy to do so. It's an unconscious habit so really hard to stop. Big hugs to you both I hope you can find a solution that works xo
    Thank you so much for your post. That's very interesting in regard to the iron deficiency.

She has a history of anxiety and we have had to seek psychological treatment when she was younger for a particularly bad episode so it is probably more likely to be anxiety related. But will definitely explore an organic cause!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    Thank you so much for your post. That's very interesting in regard to the iron deficiency.

She has a history of anxiety and we have had to seek psychological treatment when she was younger for a particularly bad episode so it is probably more likely to be anxiety related. But will definitely explore an organic cause!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to maddysmama For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (02-05-2017)