ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Finding the time for fitness

This is more about my dh than myself. He's always struggled with his weight to a degree (tummy/gut mainly, he has normal sized everything else) and has always been someone who needs to exercise to maintain his physical wellbeing and mental wellbeing too. for him, exercise has a huge mind-body connection and he doesn't feel good unless he's doing something exercise-wise. before ds, this was easy. he's found since we've had ds, his ability to find the time to exercise has greatly diminished. it's a juggle, between work, spending time with family, getting things done around the house etc. our main roadblock seems to be our lack of evenings. we all get home around 7 so it's straight into dinner as ds is starving by that time, then the bath and bed routine. by the time we sit down of an evening, it's usually 8:30-9pm so we either scroll through our phones or watch something on netflix then head to bed.

we live in melbourne so it's now getting darker earlier and it's pretty cool in the evenings. he's a runner but running in the cold/wet/dark obviously has limited appeal.

he's quite down and out about it all, doesn't actively complain about it but when pressed, will admit it's getting him down. i wish he was a bit more open about it all as it makes me feel sad to hear he's struggling in silence. but that's men for you!

anyway, i guess the point of this post is to try and hear what others/others partners do to get around this time juggle. i don't know why but we really seem to struggle to fit things in.

the most logical thing i can think of is that he joins a gym (i'd prefer to not spend money on gym memberships but i'm thinking we may have to) and devotes 3 nights a week to training. maybe a monday/tuesday night, friday in the day (he has fridays off) then maybe a sunday day/late arvo. i just feel like we are so busy and i feel he's hesitant to commit to an exercise regime for my benefit; i'm almost certain he feels bad because he'd be off doing gym stuff and i'd be stuck with ds. i guess maybe this is a legitimate roadblock as i probably round feel a bit like this if i'm honest. i guess we just need to commit to an arrangement whereby i get similar time "off" to do stuff for myself too, so it's even.

anyway, keen to hear from others.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Could he run in the morning before work?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hey - we have 2 kids so I totally get it. DH likes to run but doesn't get to do it much. He's recently started playing soccer on the weekend which is working well, a few or our friends play in the same team so all the wives & kids go along and chat/play and watch the game. Would that be an option?

Otherwise, is a morning run possible? Or lunch time at work once or twice a week?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    thanks guys. yes he's mentioned a morning run/work out. he'd prob be looking at getting up pretty early to get it done though. my alarm goes off at 5:30 and i head into the shower right away. the mornings are a rush too, we need to be out the house by 7:30am so again, it always feels like a squeeze. i don't know if we are just slow or really inefficient with time? we all leave together and arrive home together, maybe this is our issue?

i've suggested team sports (he used to play cricket) but he feels too unfit to commit to a team sport plus i think the team commitment puts him off in case he can't make it to training etc.

i do think utilizing at least one early morning though to fit this in will be needed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Buy a treadmill?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Ya it's a tough one.
    I started doing quick 'at home' exercises wherever I can- I do a lot at the playground and find other mums join in haha.
    Things like running on the spot and making sure my knees go to hip height, running on the spot so my toes hit my bum, stretching exercises.

It's not the same but it's enough to keep me sane. I run on Sat arvo while the kids watch tv, bub sleeps, and H plays fb games. Only for 15-20 mins as bub wakes up about 40 after going down.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can he get into work earlier and go for a run / the gym at lunchtime?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DH gets up at 6am and goes for a 30 min run, he gets home and has a quick shower, quick brekky and he's off to work by 7:10am. He's organised so manages to do this easily. Then on the weekends he goes for longer runs, usually in the mornings. He was very unfit last year after a few years not running at all. He started off really small, setting himself a goal just to go for a 15 min run every second day. Tell your hubby to set small goals and adjust them as he reaches them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you guys are getting up that early I think he should be able to get a run in. When I was working we'd all be up at 6:15 and out the door around 7. If he gets up at 5:30 as well, maybe he can get a 30min run in twice a week and go from there. One of those days could be Friday if he's home that day.

My exercise is walking, I mostly do it with DS in the pram and 2 dogs in tow! And there are a lot of steep hills around me so it's quite a workout.

DH is by no means fit at the moment and frankly he's pretty terrible at soccer! But most of the guys on the team are the same, they all do it for fun and exercise, and they have a few extras so it's not a big deal if he misses a game. Training is optional. Something like that or indoor sport once a week might work for your DH.

Ultimately if you or your DH want to add something to your routine (like exercise) you just need to re-jig things a bit. Otherwise you'll never find time!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can you do something as a family on weekends go for a walk, do some boxing in the park ( while your ds plays nearby). If you do something both days it would take the pressure off during the week and if he could fit in 2 sessions of some form of exercise that would go a long way.
    What does he do for work, can he go to gym in his lunch break?