ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default How do you sterilise and store dummies?

Second time parent but I seem to have lost along of memories of what I did last time. Also when my daughter was born, dummies had covers - now they don't! So far I've been washing them in hot soapy water each day then running them under boiling water immediately before I use them. But how do I store a spare in the nappy bag? If i sterilise them by boiling them for 5 minutes, they're wet, so I can't put them in a sealed container straight away because I feel like they'll get that damp smell (and maybe taste) and potentially encourage bacteria to grow, being damn and warm. But if I leave them to dry, they won't be sterile anymore...

Please Help!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Avent dummy's all have covers

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Avent here. Well we did but he doesn't like them now

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Umm second time around I never bothered sterilising anything and kept dummies in a zip lock bag, seriously dd1 kept picking them up off the ground/dirt/carpet etc and pushing them into dd2's mouth anyway 😂

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

babybeeno1  (02-05-2017),Mod-Wise Enough  (02-05-2017),SSecret Squirrel  (01-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We used avent with covers. I used to put them in a cup of boiling water for 5 mins then shake as much water out of them and put them on a paper towel to dry for a few mins. Then pop the cover on and put it in the nappy bag.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We're.....We're meant to sterilise dummies? Oops. (I kid. sort of)

I've never sterilised a dummy for my second. II think the closest I have come is once I ripped a packet open in the shop and stuck into my mouth for a second before giving it to him lol.

With my first (Back when I sterilised) I would keep a container of Miltons on the go and I remember chucking dummies in there on occasion but I think that was just if she'd been somewhere with them and dropped them on the ground in a particularly icky place - basically if it was too gross for me to stick in my mouth to clean, it would go in the miltons.

ETA - I store dummies under the cot. I thought that's where everyone kept them. If we were going out we had a little dummy attachment to the nappy bag that they slipped into. Now he's older, they're usually just in my pocket.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am having my second and never sterilised dummies for my first bub. I only ever washed in hot water and air dry. Put in a zip lock or small plastic container when going out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I never sterilized, just washed in hot soapy water, then rinsed and air dried...same as for bottles. For transport, I had a little Tupperware container (until I got too lazy and just threw them in nappy bag). I didn't think sterilization was the recommendation anymore?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Never sterilized either. Hot soapy water, air dry, then (sometimes) in a container. As above

Thanks
    Reviews
    I pop them in the steriliser once a day...but my LO puts that much in his mouth anyway I'm not too worried