+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shebes View Post
    At the end of the day the RE agent shouldn't have advertised them as rooms, but it will cost us more in legal fees to fight it (even though we would probably win), so she gets away with it. Makes me angry.
    Sounds like you are doing all the right things and asking all the right questions.
    Make a complaint about the RE to your state Dept of Fair Trading, and/or the body that regulates REs in your state. REs have licenses to worry about. Complaining like this is free, and you never know where it might get you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post
    Make a complaint about the RE to your state Dept of Fair Trading, and/or the body that regulates REs in your state. REs have licenses to worry about. Complaining like this is free, and you never know where it might get you.
    We tried the office of fair trading, but because 3 years had lapsed they won't do anything. I think REIQ charge around $250 to put in a complaint. There seems to be little protection for buyers.

Are there any renovations done on the property? Question that they are all done to code and certified.
    At the end of the day just make sure you know what you are buying. No house is perfect (especially older ones), but if you are aware of the issues and are comfortable taking them on then it's not a problem.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Buying a house.

Quote Originally Posted by DesperatelySeekingSleep View Post
    Geez @JR03 that's rough! I thought sagging beams would class as major. Far out..

OK..

So I guess a list of questions for a building inspection is in order?

What sort of questions should be asked?

Do you have indemnity insurance?

Listing specific areas to focus on. Both us to them and them to us.

That's it. That's all I got so far..
    All inspectors have to have insurance- but- it really is a basic report that you are paying for.

The biggest problem you want to avoid is structural damage (rotten timber, sagging roof, crumbling footings and floors, pest problems , major leaks and damp problems) as they will cost you the most to fix so just make sure you ask those questions, also ask your solicitor to recommend a building company as they deal with them the most so would know who the better ones are!

It takes usually less than an hour and it's more a spot check just by looking , they are supposed to spot obvious problems like water leaks (most showers in older houses leak) they check the roof for tile damage, sagging or broken timbers, they check the kitchen and bathrooms, then under the house for structural problems , you literally cannot check every single thing in a house properly unless you do a proper structural engineering report, thermal imaging ect , and that costs thousands and thousands, the council is also the only one that can do a building report to check the house is up to code, again this costs $$ and takes ages to book in - as housing codes change and update regularly, unless the house is fairly new there will always be something that is not up to current standards (like height limits, balcony heights, safety glass etc) ,
    in Sydney we sell houses built over 100 years old so obviously are not at current building standards but they are still allowed to be sold and lived in they just don't meet the new requirements

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was told Elijah Mum that if we used our below legal height rooms as a bedroom we would not be covered by insurance if something was to happen. That scared us enough to get it certified. Was worth the $$$

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I was told Elijah Mum that if we used our below legal height rooms as a bedroom we would not be covered by insurance if something was to happen. That scared us enough to get it certified. Was worth the $$$
    Yep and that's definitely worth it, it's such a hard thing to work out with older houses as none are up to current standards and yes insurance companies are very strict on what they will and won't insure

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Buying a house.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The only people that can confirm extensions being approved is the local council , you can call or go see them to check what's on their file (building inspectors won't do it) or most solicitors get a vendor disclosure form asking if the vendor had extensions done , if they say no and lie then there is action you can take

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    The only people that can confirm extensions being approved is the local council , you can call or go see them to check what's on their file (building inspectors won't do it) or most solicitors get a vendor disclosure form asking if the vendor had extensions done , if they say no and lie then there is action you can take
    There are definite extensions which is what prompted us to add the building inspector clause. There appears to be nothing in any of our paperwork so far that i can see that says anything about there being extensions or the legality of extensions, except to say the contract is subject to building inspector and structural checks.

Good point, I shall give council a call too.

OK so I should mention there is also a pool, a bore and solar panels.

The council has to check the legal requirements of the pool and fencing, I know that. We were also going to ask to meet with the owner on how to work the pool pump, solar panels and bore and to see them working.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Another good point. Could even be worth calling insurance company to ask some of these questions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If there's a pool, maybe pool inspector too? If it's leaking, i bet it can be eyewateringly expensive to fix.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep  (06-05-2017)