ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Things your pets have eaten and shouldn't have

WARNING TMI

So, not really a parenting issue. Parenting to dogs perhaps.

Bit of background story. DP and I live in an apartment with DD and our dog. We don't use a nappy bin as there's a garbage chute right outside our unit entrance. So when the nappy bags are needing to be disposed of, we take them out individually. Well, this time I added a sanitary item to the nappy bag as I knew we were about to go out for a few hours and we'd throw out the nappy bag on the way to the car....

We forgot to throw it.

We get home 3 hours later and the nappy bag has been dug opened. I see toilet paper all outside the bathroom door. Our dog walks up to us, her tail down and ears back - telling us she'd done something she shouldn't. I knew instantly that the contents of the toilet paper were missing. We search the apartment, hoping to find it - and find it before someone else did. Search failed.

I knew the dog had eaten it. DP didn't believe me.

I looked up what happens when dogs eat tampons. Yep, apparently this is a common delicacy to dogs. They said to look out for signs of your dog being unwell. Not eating, not pooping. She was fine! Wanting to eat/drink/play. We thought we'd just monitor her before rushing to a vet on a Saturday.

So now it's Sunday. We get home from our morning walk. Put the baby down for a sleep and then hear that all too familiar dog vomiting noise. Run upstairs to see the dog doing the biggest vomit she's ever done. DP grabs a napkin and picks up the vomit, inspects it to find a white mass complete with a green cotton string.

Officially mortified. But thankful we're not up for a $1000 vet bill for a bowel obstruction.

So, what have your pets eaten that they shouldn't have!?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TandR For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (30-04-2017),InterestedWoman  (03-05-2017),Yogis Mumma  (30-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Omg. Gross!

My dog used to eat used cat litter. Barf!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

TandR  (30-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Haha! At least the dog saved you from an awkward trip to the vet...I remember an episode of Bondi Vet a dog had eaten the owner's g-string and got a bowel obstruction!
    My dog eats everything...cherry tomatoes, broccoli, carrot, cucumber...he loves a good salad but he won't touch lettuce or spinach leaves.
    I have a friend who's dog got in to the pantry and ate the entire contents of the bottom shelf, wrapping and all 😂

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    Haha! At least the dog saved you from an awkward trip to the vet...I remember an episode of Bondi Vet a dog had eaten the owner's g-string and got a bowel obstruction!
    My dog eats everything...cherry tomatoes, broccoli, carrot, cucumber...he loves a good salad but he won't touch lettuce or spinach leaves.
    I have a friend who's dog got in to the pantry and ate the entire contents of the bottom shelf, wrapping and all
    I saw that episode too and thought that we would be going in just like that dog!

I can imagine your friends dog felt sorry for them self after eating all of that in the pantry!

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    A couple of months ago one of my cats ate the leaves of a lily. Luckily a realitively non-toxic variety. My other cat eats vegan red thai curry. I don't know why...I think she's getting senile.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

TandR  (30-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    A pin cushion complete with pins. The vet gave advice to get her to eat cotton wool and hope it passes and take her in if she started looking unwell. Apparently the acid in her stomach would cause the pins to rust quickly and the needles will catch on the cotton wool and pass easily enough. It appeared to work and she has had xrays since and no pins visible.

Flies from neighboring yards (assuming that's how she got it) contaminated with parvo. That was expensive.

Knickers, dog toys, easter chocolate while we were out. She once had to have an enema and they found traces of cement, rocks and asbestos (presumably from our back fence).

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DesperatelySeekingSleep For This Useful Post:

TandR  (30-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our dog will do anything to get her paws on used tissues - yuck!

The worst/most expensive things she's eaten was a huge amount of dark chocolate. I had purchased it and left in my handbag on the bed only to find her having eaten it all, about 100g! That was a trip to the vet to induce vomiting and lots of medication. She was pretty sick but we caught it early.

2 weeks later she had a feast of macadamia nuts from our tree(she cracks them open with her teeth) normally she would only eat a couple but we found her the next day partially paralysed, very high temp and lethargic. This was a very expensive admission to the vet for 2 days. Macadamia toxicity is extremely dangerous.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dog eats straight out of the kitty litter every time

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MinnieMouse81 For This Useful Post:

Hetty  (30-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DesperatelySeekingSleep View Post
    A pin cushion complete with pins. The vet gave advice to get her to eat cotton wool and hope it passes and take her in if she started looking unwell. Apparently the acid in her stomach would cause the pins to rust quickly and the needles will catch on the cotton wool and pass easily enough. It appeared to work and she has had xrays since and no pins visible.

Flies from neighboring yards (assuming that's how she got it) contaminated with parvo. That was expensive.

Knickers, dog toys, easter chocolate while we were out. She once had to have an enema and they found traces of cement, rocks and asbestos (presumably from our back fence).
    pins!!!! scary!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by bezzy View Post
    pins!!!! scary!!
    Yep you'd think she'd back off on once she got pricked but nope.