+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Finances as a couple

Good evening everyone, I am hoping to get some insight from you wise and experienced ladies. My husband and I have a joint account, which all wages and bills come out of. My husband still has his own account which up until a couple of months ago his pay was going into and he then would transfer the money to the joint.

By the money being in the joint my husband can't waste it as much so my question if you have a similar set up how much do you put in fortnightly and how much do you have in there as a buffer

Thanks
    Reviews
    Both our pays go into a joint account. From there, we pay the mortgage, savings (which go into the mortgage too), a set amount into an account for bills, and the personal loan. We budget $150 a week for groceries, the rest is our spending money. This covers our petrol, lunches, coffees etc. Anything bigger than that we generally check with each other before spending. DP spent up big at Bunnings this week but that's fine as it was all stuff to fix up the house. Next week I'm getting my hair cut. We used to just split whatever was leftover after grocery money into a separate account for each of us but this way it makes our money go further. If DP has an amount that's just his he tends to waste it just because he can. Then I end up having to be the one to pay for everything It's better if we decide on things together.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi frank or, thanks for that it is much appreciated reason I ask is because my husband just wants his play money in his account so that is why I asked how much you have as a buffer

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RangerBaker For This Useful Post:

frankie46  (29-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerBaker View Post
    Hi frank or, thanks for that it is much appreciated reason I ask is because my husband just wants his play money in his account so that is why I asked how much you have as a buffer
    I guess it depends on how much you have leftover after everything is paid. We have about $1000 leftover each week. Rather than splitting it into $500 each, its better for us if we leave it in there so there's no arguments over who pays for what when it comes to stuff for DD, eating out, family activities etc. Luckily for us we have enough leftover to easily cover lunches, coffees, small individual purchases without having to check with each other. Could you maybe leave half in the joint account for family expenses and split the other half between you, if he insists on having an amount of his own?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    All money goes into the joint account. No one has set play money. We buy what we need. If DH wants extra money for something he asks me if it's doable that week/month. If we can do it than I give him the ok. I run the finances in our house as part of being a sahm. Dh has no individual accounts. I do only because getting him into a bank to set up a account is like pulling teeth.
    This system has worked great for us for the last 24 years. He handed over all his bank accounts etc a few weeks before we got married.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lol that sounds like my husband, we have been together for 5 years and married 3. I do all the banking, bill paying, chasing up of stuff in all honesty I can not remember when the last time my husband actually looked over the budget. Reason I ask this question is because he is scared he forget to check with me and use it and he is not meant to hence the reason for my question. So he would rather just have a set amount but in all honesty I don't know what I should put in there. Before I met my husband he was like once bills are paid and if there is extra money is sitting there I will spend it. So in all honesty what would you transfer per fortnight

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I would sit and go through the budget with him. Make him take some responsibility for it as well as you.

show him - this is our income, this is our expenses .... this is what we have left over, and we need to put some aside for unexpected stuff, savings etc.

Talk about what he wants to spend his money on and see if you can come up with an amount for him to spend (and for you) as discretionary spending.

It is hard though

Thanks
    Reviews
    Everything into a joint account with automatic transfer of our set amount of spending money into our own accounts. No questions asked about what we do with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am thinking I will just transfer a set amount, I know what he buys so that is not s issue I just don't know what other people think is reasonsble

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's what you guys as a couple think is reasonable. What are your plans for the future? Do you need to focus on saving, paying down your mortgage, want to save for a holiday. Depends on how much surplus cash you have.