+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Roller blinds advice

I had someone in today to do a measure & quote on some new roller blinds (our current timber venetians are getting a bit worn, and they're hopeless at keeping heat in!)

The guy doing the quote asked if I wanted them front or back rolled - obviously if they're front rolled there's more of a gap, so I'd really prefer them to be back rolled to minimise heat loss as much as possible. However, he said that obviously means you'll see the white backing on the top as they're rolled up (the blinds themselves will be dark grey).

This doesn't bother me so much, our walls and architraves are neutral coloured, I'd rather keep the heat in - but DP says this will look 'unfinished' and 'ruin the whole look'

Does anyone have back rolled blinds they might like to share a pic of? Or offer any advice? Surely it won't look terrible. They're not in any main living areas.

BH-KatiesMum is online now Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    mine are back rolled - and the heat loss / saving is still really substantial.

I would do back rolled. It might look funny if they are dark blinds and backed with white and you see it

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

frankie46  (29-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BH-KatiesMum View Post
    mine are back rolled - and the heat loss / saving is still really substantial.

I would do back rolled. It might look funny if they are dark blinds and backed with white and you see it
    Are yours a light colour?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The ones that I have for our sliding doors are back rolled but covered with a matching slim pelmet. Sounds yuck but covers them up nicely as they had to be mounted on top of the doorframe so they don't mess with the sliding doors so the pelmet hides the whole thing.
    I think if they are mounted within the window frame the back roll is less noticeable. Also if you have any curtains on the window it's less noticeable.
    In our bedrooms we have forward roll darker coloured blinds they are set back in the frame as far as possible and it's really not that much difference - they sit forward maybe an inch further than if they were back-rolled.

BH-KatiesMum is online now Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie46 View Post
    Are yours a light colour?
    yeah they are pretty light

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

frankie46  (29-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Roller blinds advice

Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    The ones that I have for our sliding doors are back rolled but covered with a matching slim pelmet. Sounds yuck but covers them up nicely as they had to be mounted on top of the doorframe so they don't mess with the sliding doors so the pelmet hides the whole thing.
    I think if they are mounted within the window frame the back roll is less noticeable. Also if you have any curtains on the window it's less noticeable.
    In our bedrooms we have forward roll darker coloured blinds they are set back in the frame as far as possible and it's really not that much difference - they sit forward maybe an inch further than if they were back-rolled.
    Thanks so much!

I think we'll have to get pelmets - you can get some nice ones nowadays, DP could probably knock some up quite easily so I'm certainly not against that idea

Our blinds will have to be face mounted - with big timber sash windows there's no hope of fitting them inside the frame. So front-rolled would leave quite a large gap.

We're planning on putting the measurements into Blinds Online, so if we choose that option we may be able to get pelmets with the money we save!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks so much!

I think we'll have to get pelmets - you can get some nice ones nowadays, DP could probably knock some up quite easily so I'm certainly not against that idea

Our blinds will have to be face mounted - with big timber sash windows there's no hope of fitting them inside the frame. So front-rolled would leave quite a large gap.

We're planning on putting the measurements into Blinds Online, so if we choose that option we may be able to get pelmets with the money we save!
    This is what mine look like with the matching pelmet. Sorry not the best photos second photo is looking up underneath pelmet. It is same fabric as the blinds. You can do timber to match the windows too. These are on sliding doors as I wanted something I could put up completely out of the way unlike panel blinds.
    IMG_1493470224.737375.jpg
    IMG_1493470241.383960.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh, love them! They look great. I'm thinking something similar would be perfect for us

11. The Following User Says Thank You to frankie46 For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (30-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh, love them! They look great. I'm thinking something similar would be perfect for us
    To give an idea of cost. There is 5 blinds in total across 2 sliding doors so 2 pelmets. Each blind is 90cm wide x 200cm long and all up cost $1200 installed including pelmets the pelmets were really cheap less than $100 each from memory.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ours are front rolled in most of the rooms. They let the light in way too much for my liking... it's fine in living areas but in our bedroom is sucks. I'm also conscious that at night the neighbours may also be able to see in. They are back rolled in DD's room (I think the previous owners also had a baby!) and it cuts down on the light penetration heaps. It looks a bit funny seeing the white bit at the top but the blinds are light coloured and in a kids room so I don't really care.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

frankie46  (30-04-2017)