ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Wdyt- creepy postie

So I get a lot of deliveries as I like to shop online.
    The contractor is an older guy, a bit rough around the edges and very friendly.

I thought not much of it but he started asking questions about where I work, where the kids go to daycare etc just general conversations that were brought up as he caught me a few times walking back home or in answering uniform. I started to feel more uncomfortable the more he knew about me.

Anyway, this morning he turns up in his van, really unusual for a Saturday and it was early. He didn't ring the bell and I saw him get back in his van so opened the front door to see what he left (I wasn't expecting anything?).

He sees me go out and comes and asks what time I drop my eldest off at daycare on Monday. Alarm bells are ringing but I was put on the spot and answered. He then gets a package out of the car for the preschool and asks if I mind dropping it in for them as it's currently closed. I said no problem.

I mean maybe he forgot to deliver it and was trying not to get into trouble. Maybe he panicked and thought to ask me but changed his mind but when I came out he decided to ask anyway. But the whole thing was really weird and now I feel VERY uncomfortable.

Wdyt? Odd? Creepy? Or reading to much into it?

ETA: just a normal parcel post package and doesn't look urgent
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 29-04-2017 at 07:57.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

And he's just turned up again saying he drove past the childcare and the director is there so he took the package back to go drop off now.

I honestly think he just panicked but I feel really yuck about him, I'm on my own this weekend

ETA: just doubled checked the door is locked now, I feel really vulnerable but also silly.
    Think I'm looking for reassurance!
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 29-04-2017 at 11:29.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Trust your instinct. That sounds really dodgy to me. It's as if he was trying to get information and saw the parcel as an excuse to get that information. then conveniently came back to get the parcel so no one would know about the encounter but you. I would report it if I was you. It might be innocent and maybe he's just starved for conversation, or it could be sinister. I'd rather be safe than sorry. You have a right to feel comfortable and that your children are safe.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Proteaceae For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (29-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That is so strange! And creepy! And I'm pretty sure it's totally illegal/or at least completely against the guidelines for a postal contractor to knowingly give someone's mail to another person (not of that address etc) to deliver.

What a ****e situation - Except for putting in a complaint, or never answering your door again what do you?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to wobbleyhorse For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    And he just turned up again saying he drove past the childcare and the director is there so he took the package back to go drop off now.

I honestly think he just panicked but I feel really yuck about him, I'm on my own this weekend

ETA: just doubled checked the door is locked now, I feel really vulnerable but also silly.
    Think I'm looking for reassurance!
    Call Australia Post about it. That's not ok at all.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    oh yuck, i'd feel yucky too. don't answer any more personal questions, esp nothing concerning the kids and daycare. that's instant alarm bells for me. even if it's innocent, there's stuff you just don't ask people as it's too personal and other people's kids are off limits.

i'd just try and be a bit more closed off from now on. you don't owe him anything and if you injure his feelings, well who really cares. what's he to you anyway? listen to your gut here.
    next time he starts asking questions i'd just redirect the convo and say you're really busy and haven't time to chat. too bad if he gets his nose out of joint. he should focus on doing his job and not creeping mums out xx

10. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    agree with the others, pretty sure it's illegal for him to leave a parcel intended for another addressee with someone else. i'd contact AP about it. it's not on.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

I'd feel more confident contacting Aust post if he didn't come back and collect it.... maybe he realised it was a really dumb thing to do and he could lose his job over it? Especially as how could I explain why I had the package- I might be ok about it but someone in the office probably wouldn't? And that's why he went back to his van to begin with, because he decided it was a silly thing to ask, but had to justify why he was at my house with no package at 8am on a Saturday so I wouldn't get freaked out? He's always flustered and absent minded forgetting parcels and coming back later with something else.

Maybe I'm too nice?

ETA: I feel a bit calmer now. I definitely will let dh know about it. He is a good postie in the fact that if he knows I'll be out he'll come back later.... but that's a double edged sword as well
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 29-04-2017 at 08:50.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    I'd feel more confident contacting Aust post if he didn't come back and collect it.... maybe he realised it was a really dumb thing to do and he could lose his job over it? Especially as how could I explain why I had the package- I might be ok about it but someone in the office probably wouldn't? And that's why he went back to his van to begin with, because he decided it was a silly thing to ask, but had to justify why he was at my house with no package at 8am on a Saturday so I wouldn't get freaked out? He's always flustered and absent minded forgetting parcels and coming back later with something else.

Maybe I'm too nice?

ETA: I feel a bit calmer now. I definitely will let dh know about it. He is a good postie in the fact that if he knows I'll be out he'll come back later.... but that's a double edged sword as well
    I think you have probably hit the nail on the head with what happened here. I'd probably give online shopping a miss for a while to tbh and just put a bit of space there. But you can always report it if you are still feeling uncomfortable about it

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Hopeful37 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful37 View Post
    I think you have probably hit the nail on the head with what happened here. I'd probably give online shopping a miss for a while to tbh and just put a bit of space there. But you can always report it if you are still feeling uncomfortable about it
    Yep I'd be getting shopping delivered to work instead

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

Hopeful37  (29-04-2017),Little Miss Sunshine  (29-04-2017)