+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Vegetarian recipes for those with low iron

So my 14yo DD has decided she wants to go vegetarian (I'm hoping it's a phase to be honest!!). She's a huge animal lover and has decided she no longer wants to eat them...

My concern is that she has incredibly low iron reserves (ferritin) and is already fatigued. She does take iron supplements and will more than likely need an iron infusion at some point. She is also very physically active

The rest of the household will remain omnivores 😉 but I have told her it's not sufficient to just omit meat...she needs to find a replacement source of protein and iron and I will happily cook veg meals 2-3 times a week.

So any vegetarian meal suggestions that are high in iron and protein, that myself and her two younger brothers will enjoy too? Kidney style beans are not well loved but I do add lentils and chick peas to some meals...

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    I love Quorn - it comes in mince, strips etc. So you can use it in stir fries, pasta etc.

Tofu is great in stir fries. I love red thai curry. I like vegie sausages and burgers too...you can also get meat-free deli "meats". The Aldi vegie sausages are really nice.

You can add spinach, broccoli and other high iron vegies to stir fries, pasta, risotto, curries...pretty much any dish - toasted sandwiches with spinach is yum.

I was low iron as a teenager and found once I moved out of home that eating lots of vegies actually helped. High vit C intake is important too so make sure you include high vit c ingredients with high iron ingredients.

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    You could also try mexican - bean burritos or similar. I usually use kidney beans but you might be able to use a different type. Quorn would work too.
    Last edited by AdornedWithCats; 28-04-2017 at 23:26.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I stopped eating meat at 14 (over 30 years ago!) I eat seafood now but not meat or chicken (see if she will eat fish twice a week! Especially octopus or mussels as they have more b12 than red meat !) but I make plenty of vegetarian option meals as DH eats meat and my mum and sister don't so I have tons of meals that you can add to a normal carnivore meal to included everyone!

Firstly make sure she eats eggs for breakfast (protein/iron) eats nuts for snacks (protein/iron) goji berries for snacks and put chia seeds, sesame seeds and poppy seeds in literally everything (all high in iron) buy some black strap molasses (health food shop) which is the best source of iron and brush on her baked veggies and put in soups plus try get her to eat capsicum daily (or any other high vitamin c food to help iron absorption)

Dinner ideas:
    Burgers - make chickpea patties (Jamie Oliver has a great one) everyone else can have meat or fish burgers

Pizza - spinach and feta or goats cheese and capsicum (add chia seeds)

Soup - lentil and veggie soup (make sure you add the molasses)

Tacos - make a "bean" chili con carne mix or I do avocado and haloumi tacos for my sister

Pasta - roasted cherry tomato,basil pasta and stir through baby spinach or kale in the end or ricotta and spinach lasagna

Eggplant moussaka or parmigiana

Lebanese wraps or kebabs but make falafel (chickpeas)

Chinese or Thai - stir fry veggies (always add spinach and kale at the end) and add cashews or nuts and seeds and egg in the rice

Frittata or quiche - add goats cheese, spinach and chia seeds

BBQ - haloumi and veggie kebabs

There are tons of salads with seeds, quinoa and cheese and egg , learn to make a great hummus and put it on everything , you can buy iron fortified milk and cereals and start using quinoa instead of rice - just make sure her vegetable intake is huge, teenagers often carb overload when they go vego as pasta and bread are easy and full them up so just watch that, her body will adjust and learn to take the iron from whatever source it gets , I've never had a iron problem
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 29-04-2017 at 06:59.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (29-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone. Unfortunately she won't eat tofu, and hasn't eaten fish or seafood for 5yrs! I will try the quorn. I think i will have to encourage the eggs a bit more. She loves her veggies, I add spinach to everything, and we already add lots of seeds to things. The black strap molasses is a great idea...never used it....
    I'm a single mum and very time poor (but a capable cook ☺) so need to be able to whip up quick, nutritious and inexpensive meals. @Elijahsmum - do you used tinned or dried chickpeas/lentils etc?
    Unfortunately she's had iron issues from the time she got her period (11.5) and even with red meat/vit C her body can't catch up....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I do have organic tinned ones for chick pea emergencies but honestly hummus made with dried tastes soooo much better (the trick is boiling them with baking soda) my sister lived in Israel for 4 years and has always used the Yotem Ottolenghi recipe, plus canned food does lose nutrients in the process so dried should be better

Hummus:
    1 1/2 cups/250 g dried chickpeas
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    6 1/2 cups water
    1 cup plus 2 tablespoons tahini paste
    4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
    4 cloves garlic, crushed
    6 1/2 tablespoons/100 ml ice-cold water
    salt

The night before, put the chickpeas in a large bowl and cover them with cold water at least twice their volume. Leave to soak overnight.

The next day, drain the chickpeas. Place a medium saucepan over high heat and add the drained chickpeas and baking soda. Cook for about 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the water and bring to a boil. Cook, skimming off any foam and any skins that float to the surface. The chickpeas will need to cook between 20 and 40 minutes, depending on the type and freshness, sometimes even longer. Once done, they should be very tender, breaking up easily when pressed between your thumb and finger, almost but not quite mushy.
    Drain the chickpeas. You should have roughly 3 2/3 cups/600 g now. Place the chickpeas in a food processor and process until you get a stiff paste. Then, with the machine still running, add the tahini paste, lemon juice, garlic, and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt. Finally, slowly drizzle in the iced water and allow it to mix for about 5 minutes, until you get a very smooth and creamy paste.

Transfer the hummus to a bowl, cover the surface with plastic wrap, and let it rest for at least 30 minutes. If not using straightaway, refrigerate until needed. Make sure to take it out of the fridge at least 30 minutes before serving. Drizzle olive oil and squeeze lemon juice over before serving

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD went through that phase in grade 9 and is still going 3 yeas later.

My DD happily ate lentils, chickpeas and kidney beans until I made the mistake of buying her some quorn and now it is hard to convince her to eat other vegetarian sources of protein. Quorn contains fibre and protein but not really much else. Certainly no iron. It is also quite expensive ($6 for most packets) but is often on sale for around the $4 mark.

I took my DD to see a dietician and some ideas she gave us:

Iron fortified breakfast cereal eg weetbix

Double the eggs in muffins and pancakes

Snack on Hommus and vege sticks

Puree kidney beans and add them anything tomato based eg spag bol, pizza sauce

Add a layer of hommus to pizza in addition to the tomato / kidney bean puree (I did this once and DD hated it)

Nuts - eat a good mix of different varieties both as snacks and added to baking for extra nutrition. From memory she recommended walnuts as having a good amount of iron. She also pushed getting DD to lather everything in nut butters - eg toast, pancakes etc

Ditto for seeds - eg sunflower, pepitas (pumpkin seeds)

Add small tins of mixed beans to salads.

She also recommended adding flax seeds to baking to make up lack of omega 3s in DD's diet.

I've heard (but not actually bought one) that cooking in a cast iron pan will increase the iron content of a meal.

Having said that, DD has pretty well ignored the dieticians advice and her diet is shocking.

Some things I make her that she will eat:

Spag bol - saute diced carrots, onions and garlic. I add quorn mince (but it could easily be omitted). Tin of tomatoes, tomato paste, (I add the pureed kidney beans if she isn't watching), herbs - generally basil, oregano, rosemary, about half to one cup of red lentils (exact quantity depends on whether or not she is watching me). Let simmer on the stove for an hour / hour and half. Freezes ok.

Lasagne - I use the above as a base for lasagne. OR she before she discovered quorn, she happily ate a recipe I had which contains - leeks, carrots, mushrooms, tomatoes, brown lentils, soy sauce. If you are interested, I can post the exact recipe.

My vegetarian sauce for Tacos / Nachos - Saute onions and garlic, add tin of tomatoes, cumin, tumeric, about half a tin of kidney beans, water, simmer until it looks done. *sigh* she wants always quorn added as well.

DD quite liked these recipes:
    http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/spic...8-bd2841de12ce (freezes quite well).

She doesn't mind this either
    http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/pump...1-b9bac307b125

ETA another snack idea is roast chick peas. Use either a couple of tins of chickpeas OR soaked and boiled dried beans. Lay out on a tray on baking paper. Spray a bit olive oil on them, sprinkle a bit of salt and bake in the oven (I can't remember the temp I used, will check the recipe if you like) until cooked.
    Last edited by SSecret Squirrel; 29-04-2017 at 08:00.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Having grown up in a family that was semi vegetarian I feel your pain, one of the big things is to ensure she has orange juice, strawberries, kiwi Fruit or even rock melon at all meals as they all contain vitamin C, which will asit in maximising the absorption.

Ensure she is taking a multivitamin, also in terms of iron supplements some are better then others. Floridex and spatone are quite good, I myself have used them and have found my body absorbed them better then the tablets, if you are using tablets make sure you are buying the ones that say added vitamin C.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also I have a good pile of family freindly and budget freindly recipe if you are interested just on pm me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    My DD went through that phase in grade 9 and is still going 3 yeas later.

My DD happily ate lentils, chickpeas and kidney beans until I made the mistake of buying her some quorn and now it is hard to convince her to eat other vegetarian sources of protein. Quorn contains fibre and protein but not really much else. Certainly no iron. It is also quite expensive ($6 for most packets) but is often on sale for around the $4 mark.

I took my DD to see a dietician and some ideas she gave us:

Iron fortified breakfast cereal eg weetbix

Double the eggs in muffins and pancakes

Snack on Hommus and vege sticks

Puree kidney beans and add them anything tomato based eg spag bol, pizza sauce

Add a layer of hommus to pizza in addition to the tomato / kidney bean puree (I did this once and DD hated it)

Nuts - eat a good mix of different varieties both as snacks and added to baking for extra nutrition. From memory she recommended walnuts as having a good amount of iron. She also pushed getting DD to lather everything in nut butters - eg toast, pancakes etc

Ditto for seeds - eg sunflower, pepitas (pumpkin seeds)

Add small tins of mixed beans to salads.

She also recommended adding flax seeds to baking to make up lack of omega 3s in DD's diet.

I've heard (but not actually bought one) that cooking in a cast iron pan will increase the iron content of a meal.

Having said that, DD has pretty well ignored the dieticians advice and her diet is shocking.

Some things I make her that she will eat:

Spag bol - saute diced carrots, onions and garlic. I add quorn mince (but it could easily be omitted). Tin of tomatoes, tomato paste, (I add the pureed kidney beans if she isn't watching), herbs - generally basil, oregano, rosemary, about half to one cup of red lentils (exact quantity depends on whether or not she is watching me). Let simmer on the stove for an hour / hour and half. Freezes ok.

Lasagne - I use the above as a base for lasagne. OR she before she discovered quorn, she happily ate a recipe I had which contains - leeks, carrots, mushrooms, tomatoes, brown lentils, soy sauce. If you are interested, I can post the exact recipe.

My vegetarian sauce for Tacos / Nachos - Saute onions and garlic, add tin of tomatoes, cumin, tumeric, about half a tin of kidney beans, water, simmer until it looks done. *sigh* she wants always quorn added as well.

DD quite liked these recipes:
    http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/spic...8-bd2841de12ce (freezes quite well).

She doesn't mind this either
    http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/pump...1-b9bac307b125

ETA another snack idea is roast chick peas. Use either a couple of tins of chickpeas OR soaked and boiled dried beans. Lay out on a tray on baking paper. Spray a bit olive oil on them, sprinkle a bit of salt and bake in the oven (I can't remember the temp I used, will check the recipe if you like) until cooked.
    Thanks...These all look pretty good. I think I will just start experimenting with different things to see what she/we like. I happy to eat vego, but I might have anarchy from my boys so I think I will be doing lots of alternative substitutions. Like make some veggie burgers to have in the freezer for her when we have beef burgers etc. We already love spinach/ricotta anything, and veggie lasagne. Will need to get into using legumes more (bought some dried chick peas today!). I think I will avoid the "fake" meat for now, it's not really in my budget anyway...