ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I find it really interesting that lots of PP don't define readers as 'homework' - as in 'we don't have any homework. We just do take home readers'. I am a teacher & would say homework is valuable, but I think I might be defining homework differently to others! I would call readers 'homework'. So here is my opinion/ definition -
    I think homework in grades 1-2 should just be reading only. Readers and maybe some sight words or sounds. It should be something you can snuggle up with your child at bed time and do together, not something that involves sitting up at the table and writing.
    In the older primary years, homework should be minimal. IME most kids love the occassional project, & some kids will really happily spend hours on it at home. I still remember cutting pictures out of travel brochures for a project on China in grade 4, lol, and gluing them on a poster with passion 😁

Homework (including reading) should never consist of a parent having to 'teach' a child. It should be practicing something the child has already learnt at school. If the parent is 'teaching', the homework is too difficult.

Sometimes my DD loves her homework, sometimes we don't do it. I never make it a stress to complete, it isnt fair on her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I mean homework as in maths work sheets, spelling lists anything where you need to sit and write - that's what a few parents want at school but our teacher says it's not needed as reading (home readers or library books) is more important to encourage (we stopped sight words in kindy)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    I find it really interesting that lots of PP don't define readers as 'homework' - as in 'we don't have any homework. We just do take home readers'. I am a teacher & would say homework is valuable, but I think I might be defining homework differently to others! I would call readers 'homework'. So here is my opinion/ definition -
    I think homework in grades 1-2 should just be reading only. Readers and maybe some sight words or sounds. It should be something you can snuggle up with your child at bed time and do together, not something that involves sitting up at the table and writing.
    In the older primary years, homework should be minimal. IME most kids love the occassional project, & some kids will really happily spend hours on it at home. I still remember cutting pictures out of travel brochures for a project on China in grade 4, lol, and gluing them on a poster with passion ������

Homework (including reading) should never consist of a parent having to 'teach' a child. It should be practicing something the child has already learnt at school. If the parent is 'teaching', the homework is too difficult.

Sometimes my DD loves her homework, sometimes we don't do it. I never make it a stress to complete, it isnt fair on her.
    I agree with most of what you say

The problem I have with homework is that it is the same worksheet (or whatever) given to the entire class. I have one child that struggles and was a bit behind which meant that I was having to go over and over the concept with her. If she really had no idea it meant me teaching her how to do it, and of course I teach a different approach to her teacher this lead to her being confused.

She didn't want to go to school without the homework done as she would get kept in at lunch.

Anyway she is out of primary school now (thank goodness) and her high school takes a much more mature approach and the teachers respond to emails from her (or me) if she doesn't understand a concept.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son is in Prep and he has a reader, sight words and phonics sent home nightly.
    We don't do them.
    I read to him. I get him to cook with me, feed the pets, engage in play with his siblings, talk about topics. Home time is just that. Time for home, not school. When he is older this will change but right now he's 4 and he gets to be a kid.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't do readers...initially (as in kindy), yes we do...but as they get past those first few readers we move on to books. Readers are sooooo boring and do nothing to create a love for reading, so we move on to reading small chapter books hat they enjoy and they might have read every sentence at the beginning of a paragraph at first, and then moved up to reading more and more on each page as they gained confidence.
    As for spelling words...I would get the list, do a spelling bee with them once, find out what words they couldn't spell and they only had to learn them. Took 5 minutes.