ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DS has been doing homework since kindergarten (public school) I hate it! It's such a stress, we end up helping/coaching him with it and he works so better independently at school!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Lil M For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (28-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    And off topic - but omg show and tell/news day. DD stopped in yr 2 but DS1 still did it in yr 3. Thank god this yr they aren't doing it. Such a PITA to come up with something every week. I get the purpose - to develop public speaking, confidence as well as getting to know your class mates. But last year in yr 3 the teacher told parents toys were banned entirely and every week "must be super interesting". Kill.Me.Now.
    That's interesting, with our news they give you topics for the term , this term it's sharing the planet so they have to do 3 talks on: what's your favourite animal , what does it need to survive in the wild and what country does it come from , last term was my favourite as it was on food!

Thanks
    Reviews
    No homework at our primary school. The kids get projects in the primary years, but they're not hard and there is a big time frame for it, rather than giving them sheets of repitition. Reading is expected, of course...and spelling words.
    As for news/show and tell, we got weekly topics in infants school, we weren't expected to come up with something on our own. Then in primary years it became about giving a 1 minute speech on any topic they liked.
    What I've found with my kids is that no homework in the earlier years of schooling meant homework hasn't been seen as a negative thing because we haven't spent years fighting over it unnecessarily with no benefit.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    That's interesting, with our news they give you topics for the term , this term it's sharing the planet so they have to do 3 talks on: what's your favourite animal , what does it need to survive in the wild and what country does it come from , last term was my favourite as it was on food!
    See this is a good idea. Even having a broad topic or the units they are covering at the time to tie in.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Nope. I don't think homework is needed in the early years. Reading yes, homework no. I have PP and Year 2 age kids and they both have reading and DS has had sight words in Year 1 and 2. I think that's more than enough. Kids that age need to be running and playing after sitting and learning all day which is pretty much what our year 2 teacher said at the start of the year!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (29-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can ask to see the schools homework policy. We have one and it states homework is not compulsory. I teach year one and I do give out homework but as a grid that the child can choose and tick off. So one job might be put the bin out. Help mum with a chore. Read a book. Go outside and play. Play a game using spelling words. I have 22 in my class and I tell my students it's up to them if they want to do homework and I have about 19 return it each week. The other three are not punished or anything it's totally their choice. I have had parents praise the homework that our year one team give because their child enjoys it and wants to do it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jackie2 For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (29-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No. Nope. No way. Yuck. Get rid of it!

Homework should not exsit. Kids are in school all day they need down time. They need to relax, chill out, play, spend time with family. They dont need to be forced to do busy work (which is what homework is most of the time). Let them be kids! If a child is happy to do it that's fine but if there is stress and anxiety let it go. Children can and do learn through play. They can learn to do things while living real life not sitting down writing out their spelling words or times tables 10 times!

F@ck homework off!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My kids are not in school anymore but when they were they got homework from grade 1. If it was not completed they had to stay in at recess so no time for playing. One of the many reasons I now unschool.
    Last edited by Unschooling4; 29-04-2017 at 11:43.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Homework - is it necessary?

I think a small amount that reinforces and consolidates important concepts that they are working on in class is fine. I quite like being involved in my son's learning and filling in any gaps in his learning where necessary. Large projects unrelated to what they are doing that are unachievable for kids to do unassisted in a short amount of time I think is unnecessary. Our school has homework. A couple of things like reading aloud for 10mins and a spelling list is compulsory and there are a few additional tasks for those who want to are optional

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Traditionally in our 1/2 composites we do home readers, sight words and spelling homework. This year I out out a newsletter stating homework was opt in, citing reasons that had already been mentioned here, and that we would rather have students spend that time engaged in family oriented activities. A week or so later at parent teacher interviews, I asked every parent if they would like homework for their child, they all said yes.
    Fast forward to term two week two and I have had 6 sheets out of twenty four handed in.
    It's a waste of my time to create the sheets every week, and as a parent I didn't force my boys to complete it in gr 1/2 because the arguments were not worth it.