ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I dont have kids yet but i dont think homework is important for year 1s. Id want my year one kid to come home , to read interesting books, to spend time with family and being a kid. There will be plenty of time for homework but character develops by the age of 7 and in grade 1, its still being formed. Reading and writing is important but communication , play time and family time at that age in my opinion is more important. Id rather have time with my kid after school where we talk about things, talk about school and life and hear about their thoughts then have them do home work every night. There are other skills just as important that they can learn outside of school.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simil For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (28-04-2017),Elijahs Mum  (28-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My Preppie get sight words and a reader. We refer to it as homework. The teacher refers to it as homework. I thought that was a given that thats what homework was at this age?

I can understand parents wanting it. I imagine to many working parents in particular it feels like the only way to keep track of what they're actually doing. I've been back at work a month or so now and I am really missing seeing her classroom every day and checking out what's happening. My DD is not doing that well at school from an academic standpoint and I kind of wish we had some form of homework that related to the stuff they are working on because honestly, I'm struggling to find ways to offer support.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to zelda For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (28-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    As a former teacher I should say yes, to teach good time management skills, to extend the learning into the home, to prepare for higher levels of school where studying will be necessary, to set good foundations and develop good habits....

As a SAHM I say, hell no, it is a giant giant pain in the bum, interferes with after school activities, causes unnecessary stress, the kids spend all day learning and just want to relax and unwind once home, but mostly the 'it is a pain in the bum' thing for parents, usually for the mum....

So I'm a bit torn on the issue!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rachel3072 For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (28-04-2017),sparklebug  (28-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am a teacher and I say no to homework as such but things like reading and sight words are a must!

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jackie2 For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (28-04-2017),Gentoo  (28-04-2017),Mama Mirabelle  (28-04-2017),sparklebug  (28-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD had readers, sight words/spelling words, maths, mathletics and show & tell in Year 1. It was a pain in the backside but I liked that I could see where she was up to with her school work, in terms of what the class work was, how she was able to handle it both academically and in terms of concentration etc.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bezzy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Nope, not a fan of homework whatsoever bar reading every night. Which in our house is enjoyment not a chore lol

Research shows there is little to no benefit until they hit around yr 10 and even then, it's more about revision and rote learning for exams.

DD is in yr 7 in a gifted program and does an insane amount of homework 2+ hours a night. I've already raised the issue in writing but I doubt it will change. DD is so into her program and doing well she whinges but does it but surely a not quite 13 year old shouldn't be doing so much???

12. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by zelda View Post
    My Preppie get sight words and a reader. We refer to it as homework. The teacher refers to it as homework. I thought that was a given that thats what homework was at this age?

I can understand parents wanting it. I imagine to many working parents in particular it feels like the only way to keep track of what they're actually doing. I've been back at work a month or so now and I am really missing seeing her classroom every day and checking out what's happening. My DD is not doing that well at school from an academic standpoint and I kind of wish we had some form of homework that related to the stuff they are working on because honestly, I'm struggling to find ways to offer support.
    My school age child is older now so I've forgotten that I used to look forward to seeing what she was doing in school! At 13, she's self sufficient, and talks about what she's up to so it's very different, and it's not so visual I guess, so it's easy to stay informed via email with her teachers. Now homework is just something that is time consuming, and ruins our plans
    Reading your post reminded me how exciting it was to see her work, geez they grow up quickly!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    And off topic - but omg show and tell/news day. DD stopped in yr 2 but DS1 still did it in yr 3. Thank god this yr they aren't doing it. Such a PITA to come up with something every week. I get the purpose - to develop public speaking, confidence as well as getting to know your class mates. But last year in yr 3 the teacher told parents toys were banned entirely and every week "must be super interesting". Kill.Me.Now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have one in year 5 and one in year 7.

I don't think homework is necessary but I do think daily reading is absolutely necessary.

Homework causes so many issues in our house. I am over homework and have previously written to the school that my children won't be doing the homework.

But, I do think in year 6 they should do some homework to get into the routine and adjust to the idea that their time is not always their own. DD12 who is in year 7 has anywhere from no homework to 1-2 hours a night.

As for parents wanting homework I think they overestimate the value of homework and make it harder for the rest of us. Our primary school used to only give homework because they were asked to by many parents.

Both my DDs go to tutoring for either maths or english and I find that hour one on one more valuable than a week worth of homework. Their tutor doesn't give either of them homework due to their school homework load. I would actually rather then have homework given by their tutor than the homework set by the school as it would actually be focused on their weakness and not homework for the class.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to PomPoms For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I was talking to a teacher a few years ago she said she hated giving homework but parents asked for it. When I asked why, she told me in a very polite, PC way that these parents were the ones that really pushed and hot-housed their kids to perform. They believed homework completed = an edge.. Which is, to put it bluntly, absolute crap.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (28-04-2017),Elijahs Mum  (28-04-2017)