+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Studying with a young baby - completely nuts, or totally doable?!

I'm sure this has been asked before but I've had a scroll back through the threads and can't find one that is quite what I want to ask...
    I am due with number 3 in September. I work 3 days a week in a medical profession. I will likely have at least a year off - possibly a little more - with this bub. I want to slightly change career direction and I'm considering studying in that year.
    Has anyone done study with a young baby + other kids, whilst not working? The older 2 will continue in childcare around 2 days a week, but I'll likely have the little one home with me. Am I crazy??
    If you did study, how many hours did you do and was it on or off campus? What level of study did you do? I think I would look at starting a masters.
    Thanks in advance for any help!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mambo For This Useful Post:

Simil  (28-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No idea. I dont have any kids but i like your ambition ! I'll be subscribing to this thread

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Simil For This Useful Post:

Mambo  (28-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I studied part time with a new born. It was not easy but I did it. It was an online course so I could do it whenever o had a free moment which helped a lot. I wouldn't do it again though. Thankfully my DD was a good sleeper but if she hadn't been I don't know what I'd have done. Also, I felt bad and sad missing out on precious time with her cos I had to study.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleDove For This Useful Post:

Mambo  (28-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sorry I didn't answer ur questions... I did about 3 hrs a day and it was a post grad qualification.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleDove For This Useful Post:

Mambo  (28-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was a full time student when DS was born. I found it very manageable having a full time uni workload with a newborn (I don't have older kids as well though). For the first 6 months I studied externally and he would sit in his bouncer/ be asleep when I was on Skype tutorials.

Some days my inlaws would come over if I had an assignment due and needed a couple of hours to concentrate!

You need good time management skills and you need dedication, but it is doable! Good luck ☺

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Curby For This Useful Post:

Mambo  (28-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I have 5 kids- almost 10, almost 7, almost 5, almost 3 and 10 months. I started studying this term.

I have classes on campus 3 days a week. Juggling the kids was hard with that. A friend was looking after the 3 younger ones while I went to classes but she couldn't do it any more so I had to look for childcare. Trying to find somewhere close to either where we live or close to the uni that had vacancies for all 3 on the days I need was hard but we found one eventually. I also had to put the older ones in OSHC.

Thursdays and Fridays almost 5 year old is at kindy and almost 3 year old is at daycare anyway so I just have Bub home with me. They are my bulk study days at home. I also do most of it at night after they are in bed.

At the moment I am only doing a bridging program to get into my Bachelor of Nursing but I am treating it as I would a degree in regards to getting into a routine and prioritising study.

It can be tricky juggling the kids and study but I found routine is key. And organisation!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

Mambo  (29-04-2017)