+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Winner 2016 BubHubs DIVA Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I lived at home until 19. My dad paid for all living expenses with me responsible for personal items.
    Dad also gave me a loan for $1500 when the engine died in my car.
    Other than that, I've taken care of financial things myself.
    Dad wasn't mean. He just had a single income household after mum died. And also believed that once you earn money, you pay for yourself. That was pretty interesting, earning $24 a week in my first job!
    If I desperately needed money for something, and he had it available, he would lend it of course. But it was a loan.
    I used HECS for uni, had a part time job that paid for books and living expenses.
    I got a Uni scholarship of cash that paid for my first car - 1975 Toyota Corolla!
    That 10 year period between 20-30 was tough financially. Then the $30,000 FHOG came along which gave me the deposit to build a new house. And a few promotions that made life easier.
    I'm not sure there's a right or wrong way. But I do value the time
    I really struggled financially and got through it.
    Now I'd be more likely to help my dad financially!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahalfdozen View Post
    I never wished my parents would gift money, but I wish they had been more understanding.
    We lived in a house that they owned, DH worked in real estate and finance at the time and helped them acquire it cheap, and with good rates. It got nearly 100k increase in valuation a year after they owned it. So DH worked his **** off getting them this amazing deal. We rented it off them at market price (~$500 p/w) , and our rent included a landscaper every fortnight. They canned the landscaping after a while but didn't drop that amount off the rent. Nearly a year later, hubby lost his job. We did what we could while he desperately searched for a new job. Went really far into debt as we struggled to pay anything. Kept on top of rent and buying food and that's about it. Got to the point one week where we had a choice of rent OR food (had 3 small kids and one due in a few weeks). We chose to feed our children, stuck to plain rice and sausages, so nothing extravagant. And got the rent in nearly a week late. They evicted us.
    gob on floor. sorry but what a-holes.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Mama Mirabelle  (29-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    we all lived at home rent/board free too. my parents never believed in taking money off us but we were expected to pull our weight around the house. which we did.

all up i'd say my parents have been pretty fair supporting us financially. we've had help but never taken the pis$ and have all turned into capable independent adults.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My parents charged my siblings board when they started working full time, then when they were starting to get serious about buying a house, mum and dad told them they'd been saving their board for them and would give it to them towards their deposit. I bought my first house while still at uni and working part time so they weren't charging me board then and they didn't charge me board when I got a FT job. Without a doubt, we wouldn't be in the relatively comfortable position we are in now without their financial support as well as the financial education they gave hubby and I.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default *Spin off* How much financial help have your parents/IL's given you?

Dad helped us out a lot after he inherited. He bought himself a place outright, then he paid my HELP debt off ($30k) and gave us money for a house deposit ($170k).

He was very generous and we plan on doing the same thing for our children.

My mother has given me nothing but headaches lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    For those of you whose parents have given them hundreds of thousands of dollars - are your parents now self funded or retired on the pension?
    My parents paid for boarding school, bought me a car, supported me at uni until I qualified for youth allowance and got a part-time job, let me live rent free in their unit for uni, put 5k towards our wedding and have helped me out here and there in my 20's for unexpected bills etc I'm sure if I was in dire straits they would help me out
    But they have their money set aside for their retirement. If there is anything left when they pass we will inherit. Where do people find $100k to give their child? Surely your parents are not all millionaires? It can't be a good idea to give away all your money late in life these days if there's a possibility you could live till 100 and the gov't is going to struggle to pay everyone a pension as the baby boomers retire.
    I don't know I guess my family just works on the assumption the pension is not guaranteed so we need to make sure we're set up for retirement.
    DH's parents have no money to give, but DH & siblings will inherit the farm and properties eventually.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rosey82 View Post
    For those of you whose parents have given them hundreds of thousands of dollars - are your parents now self funded or retired on the pension?
    My parents paid for boarding school, bought me a car, supported me at uni until I qualified for youth allowance and got a part-time job, let me live rent free in their unit for uni, put 5k towards our wedding and have helped me out here and there in my 20's for unexpected bills etc I'm sure if I was in dire straits they would help me out
    But they have their money set aside for their retirement. If there is anything left when they pass we will inherit. Where do people find $100k to give their child? Surely your parents are not all millionaires? It can't be a good idea to give away all your money late in life these days if there's a possibility you could live till 100 and the gov't is going to struggle to pay everyone a pension as the baby boomers retire.
    I don't know I guess my family just works on the assumption the pension is not guaranteed so we need to make sure we're set up for retirement.
    DH's parents have no money to give, but DH & siblings will inherit the farm and properties eventually.
    The amount my dad gave me towards my house deposit, legal fees and stamp duty was about $100k. He's very wealthy, has a huge property portfolio, money in shares, self managed super fund and sold off his accounting business (still works there a couple of days a week, I imagine he's under contract to do so, so that their clients don't all walk). He's set up a family trust of which I'm a signatory (only for legal reasons, I don't access any funds from that). He's done all this himself. He started with very little 40 years ago, and has built it all up over that time. He's pretty sh_tty at holding down relationships with women, but he's a gun at making money

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

rosey82  (29-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Both sets of parents are self funded. Mum and Dad both came from working class families, and both worked very hard to be in the position they are. Mum is also very clever with money and while we were comfortable growing up, we never had fancy holidays or anything like that. They made some good investments and had a business that did well, and set them up when they retired. I would say my parents are quite wealthy knowing what I do now, but I never thought that as a kid!

IL's are also self funded. But the family has been wealthy for a long time. There's been a lot of paying it forward with the great grandparents and grand parents, but not as much from the current generation. They receive a massive inheritance a few months ago, but have made it clear they aren't sharing it with the kids/grandkids. Even though even 1/4 divided between DH and his siblings would be life changing for all of us.

Like I said, we've had a lot of help, but the main difference is anything my parents have helped us with has been an unexpected gift. Anything from the IL's though has definitely been a loan with the exception of some money towards our wedding and paying for DH's degree. I think the main reason is my folks remember how hard it is to struggle to get ahead. The IL's have never had to struggle and have no idea what it's like to live from pay to pay.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

rosey82  (29-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My parents are self funded. They aren't insanely rich but are well off. They said the money was my inheritance come early (while I was young and would make better use of the money) and they planned to spend every remaining cent before they die they are on their mid 60s so I guess if they live u til they are 110 they might run out of money in which case I'd be happy to support them (if I can when the one comes).

13. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

rosey82  (29-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    my parents are comfortable. compared to some maybe you could say they're wealthy but they're not worth like $20m or anything. they could comfortably afford to gift us all $100k cash each and still have plenty left over to live on. we will get our inheritance when the time is right however.