ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My best holiday would be doing the Trans Mongolian Railway. I was talked in to it by a friend and so glad I was. I was in awe of St Petersburg and Moscow, we stayed with an awesome host family in Siberia, slept in a gurt in Mongolia and at the end of the trip, visited the Great Wall of China.

One place that was definitely not my best holiday, but is the one I can't get out of my head is Auschwitz I and II. You see shoes, suitcases with names on them, human hair. I was just numb and felt the life sucked out of me. It was 15 years ago and I still can't stop thinking about it. I brought my camera but didn't take one photo and don't regret it. I had a work colleague go recently and he said people are now taking selfies in front of the exhibits and I just find that horrifying.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wild Rose For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (28-04-2017),Simil  (28-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I love to travel .. no.. i live to travel and hope to travel with my kids.

Everyone has told me my travels will end when i have a baby and i am determined to prove them
    all wrong!!

I plan to do a few shorter flights by age of 2 and Big Europe trip when they are 3-4 with stop overs in Singapore and Japan. On our list is Russia which will be a first for me and a first for my future bub. I cant wait to share a new experience together.

In the last 3 years my husband and I have done around 50 countries and i have no regrets.

I have had the absolute time of my life everywhere i have gone and i cant single it out really..I dont know what was more fun.. private desert safari camp out in Dubai, star gazing and camel riding at night in the desert or strolling down the country sides of France where some of my most favourite films were filmed.. or perhaps a visit to the swiss alps?

It was amazing but was it as amazing as having traditional Italian pasta on the beach in Cinque terre and city hopping across Italy?

Or was it the time we got lost in Tokyo?

Our very first overseas trip to Thailand still stands out for me. I know people think Thailand is lame but i did Thailand in a very special way. We made friends with a villager on phi phi island and we did all the tours privately.. imagine being on maya bay at 5.30 am .. watching the sunset.. having breakfast there and taking a dip.. all alone before all the tour companies would arrive. Snorkelling with sharks and giant turtles .

We arent done but at 30 id like to think we have a good 30 years to see more of the world.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow such interesting places people have been. People that have done 30-40-50 countries and 3 month holidays, how do you do it with work?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmashie View Post
    Wow such interesting places people have been. People that have done 30-40-50 countries and 3 month holidays, how do you do it with work?
    You plan save pay and go. I'm around 30 odd countries so far. I save up my a/l or take long service etc. Since kids I've only been O/S 2 times but no 3 is next month to Fiji. Have done a lot of travel I aust in that time though. You need to know where you want to go firstly and go from there

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Rose View Post
    My best holiday would be doing the Trans Mongolian Railway. I was talked in to it by a friend and so glad I was. I was in awe of St Petersburg and Moscow, we stayed with an awesome host family in Siberia, slept in a gurt in Mongolia and at the end of the trip, visited the Great Wall of China.

One place that was definitely not my best holiday, but is the one I can't get out of my head is Auschwitz I and II. You see shoes, suitcases with names on them, human hair. I was just numb and felt the life sucked out of me. It was 15 years ago and I still can't stop thinking about it. I brought my camera but didn't take one photo and don't regret it. I had a work colleague go recently and he said people are now taking selfies in front of the exhibits and I just find that horrifying.
    The Rwandan genocide memorials were similarly moving. The rural memorials are quite 'primitive' for want of a better word (but lovingly tended) and you literally see rooms of human bones stacked up. They keep it this way as a constant reminder of what occurred to try and prevent it happening again. The local people we spoke to in rural areas in 2012 said they are still finding remains from the genocide. The main memorial in the capital has 250,000 bodies buried there and includes displays of clothing people were wearing with blood stains and damaged remains. It's unfathomable. I'll never forget it and it was a privilege to learn about what happened firsthand. It was very emotional.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Wild Rose  (29-04-2017)