+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Correct way to prepare eggplant

I really love eggplant but I always find it bitter after salting it putting it in a colander with a pot of water on top of it, after leaving it I usually wash salt off and then bake, grill or egg and bread crumb. If anyone has any suggestions for me it would be much appreciated

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Correct way to prepare eggplant

I find the fresher the eggplant the less bitter it is, do you get yours from a fruit shop or supermarket? Also don't Salt for longer than 20 mins and I use sea salt or pink salt

I make eggplant pizzas (use the eggplant as a base- cut it into rounds , bake it for 20 mins, top with tomato pizza sauce, mozzarella and basil and bake again until cheese is melted)

I add to pasta with a tomato sauce or make eggplant parmigiana, we love schnitzel eggplant as well !

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

wobbleyhorse  (28-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I always salt it and lay out on a paper towel for about 15 mins...it draws some of the moisture out. And then panfry with tons of olive oil and some lemon juice. It's not healthy but it is delicious!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When I make moussaka or eggplant parmigiana I don't salt the eggplant I just cook it using some olive oil in a griddle pan and then add to the dish. I've never found them bitter in this way
    Found this to be quite an interesting read! https://food52.com/blog/17634-do-you...a-candid-guide

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi gingermillie, thanks for the article I have just finished reading it and I have to say each view point was very interesting but different. I might try the paper towel method and see how I go as I really want to make moussaka on the weekend so I guess I will see how I go

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't know if it's correct but my Italian Grandmother always sliced and salted her eggplant for about 10-20 minutes on a board - never weighted them - and then rinsed and cooked in whatever way she liked.

I LOVE them and use them in pasta sauces, oven roasted in veggie lasagna and salads, in ratatouille, and I pickle them in different ways.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    OMG now I'm hungry. I love eggplant!! I'm growing some at the moment so just need to wait util they are ready