+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Childcare sign in/out regulation - who can sign in?

Can I ask op what makes you uncomfortable about carers signing your child in?
    We now have an electronic one and only i can do it, it's a pita when juggling the 2 kids at the entrance (we are required to do before dropping them off and after we have picked them up). Any missed ones I have to correct the next time I'm in.
    If a carer was able to, and offered to help, I don't see the issue?
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 28-04-2017 at 13:39.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (28-04-2017)

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Found this government factsheet. I guess I take my responsbilities quite seriously. I'll elaborate in the next post. https://docs.education.gov.au/node/3204
    Attached Images

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    Why would you complain to the centre about it? If you dont want then to sign your kids in for you, I wouls just say 'I'd prefer to sign in my own kids'. I worked in child care, and we would have to double check the sign in book because parents would forget to sign, so we would sign them in. It's about acknowledging the transfer of care from you to the centre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    Can I ask op what makes you uncomfortable about carers signing your child in?
    We now have an electronic one and only i can do it, it's a pita when juggling the 2 kids at the entrance (we are required to do before dropping them off and after we have picked them up). Any missed ones I have to correct the next time I'm in.
    If a carer was able to, and offered to help, I don't see the issue?
    Yes @cheeeeesecake, that's what I said. I'd complain if it was against regulations but I'm not sure whether it is. Your last sentence is spot on...signing in (or out) is a record of transfer of care. What if the carer forgots and there's a emergency? The carer was even busier than me at the time. I know the risk is likely low, but if something happens it could be bad. Eg. kids not accounted for in an emergency, picked up by a stranger (and no drop off recorded). As ds is in my care prior to drop off, I believe I have a duty of care to ensure he is signed in appropriately and I know the transfer of care has occurred officially.

Aside from the potential risk in an emergency etc, it seems like it may be against the CCB rules based on the fact sheet above but I'm not sure on that.
    Last edited by AdornedWithCats; 28-04-2017 at 16:04.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    Ok I spoke to a developer of a sign in service who owns a childcare. There's a grey area that allows educators to sign children in.
    This is interesting. So what are the actual rules around this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AdornedWithCats View Post
    Yes

Aside from the potential risk in an emergency etc, it seems like it may be against the CCB/CCR rules based on the fact sheet above but I'm not sure on that.
    I think that's reading too much into things. It would mean that people wouldn't be able to get CCR / CCB on the days they did not personally drop their child off. The CCR is in my name but DF and my mum do drop offs / pickups all the time.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (28-04-2017),Little Miss Sunshine  (28-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    I think that's reading too much into things. It would mean that people wouldn't be able to get CCR / CCB on the days they did not personally drop their child off. The CCR is in my name but DF and my mum do drop offs / pickups all the time.
    Oops meant to quote. I wouldn't say that is so. I do have a list of approved people who can drop off/pick up ds. It (factsheet above) clearly states that you (I assume parent/guardian or approved person) have a responbility to sign your child in and out. I'd be interested to hear from what @Mamasupial found out about it in more detail.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AdornedWithCats View Post
    Oops meant to quote. I wouldn't say that is so. I do have a list of approved people who can drop off/pick up ds. It (factsheet above) clearly states that you (I assume parent/guardian or approved person) have a responbility to sign your child in and out. I'd be interested to hear from what @Mamasupial found out about it in more detail.
    Seriously if it's that big an issue for you then just wait until they have sheets ready and sign in yourself

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    That's pretty much what I did @Hopeful37

Before this week I was under the impression that the sign in/out system was a requirement of their registration/approval as a childcare. So I found it quite shocking. But apparently there is a grey area.
    Last edited by AdornedWithCats; 28-04-2017 at 17:15.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I guess there's a grey area because that's life, people are going to forget, be in a rush call up and tell the staff. There then has to be the ability of the staff to do it

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hopeful37 For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (28-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Yeah I get people forget. And I liked the pp where the childcare gets the parents to initial it later. We've never had this happen at ds' childcare so I'm not sure if they do a similar thing...I suspect not only as I've never seen it done in 2 years.

I'd like to know what the actual grey area is in the regulations though (what does the regulation say).