Best thing I've read on here in ages.
    Agreed!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hulahoop For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (27-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    Absolutely I'll help my dd. I figure she'll get everything we have when we die anyway so why not help her sooner.
    I'd rather have her set up and stable, know how to manage money (not just debt) while I'm here to guide her. The opposite - having not much and a negative outlook, then inheriting a considerable amount of money - then there is potential to blow it all in a million different ways.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hulahoop For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (27-04-2017),Little Miss Sunshine  (27-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    Best thing I've read on here in ages.
    Thank you that's very kind!
    I think you can see from my post I feel quite strongly about it. Amongst people I've spoken to IRL it's not a popular opinion though. I've been told my daughter will be spoilt, entitled, lazy and won't have a work ethic or motivation to achieve goals I fail to see how providing housing (a basic human right) for someone equals all of that. I'm sure there are plenty of 'entitled spoilt brats' out there who haven't been given a house
    I can just see the absolutely life-changing and massive impact it would have on my life so why wouldn't I want that for her? It's not like I'm giving her a limitless credit card to just p!ss up against the wall it's a place to live

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (28-04-2017),Hulahoop  (27-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We will help our children too, but won't tell them growing up that they're getting a house deposit and won't give it to them until they have full time jobs. When I was growing up I was always told I'd get an inheritance, it made me a bad saver.

Have to be careful though. Dad had a friend who bought his daughter a house and she won't speak to him, thinks he's annoying. She won't even spend Christmas with him and he has no one else. If I raised my kids as well as I could and they were like that, I'd be very careful. I'd like to think I'll raise better people than that though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Just to clarify on my post earlier about already having deposits... I have no intention of telling them

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    Thank you that's very kind!
    I think you can see from my post I feel quite strongly about it. Amongst people I've spoken to IRL it's not a popular opinion though. I've been told my daughter will be spoilt, entitled, lazy and won't have a work ethic or motivation to achieve goals I fail to see how providing housing (a basic human right) for someone equals all of that. I'm sure there are plenty of 'entitled spoilt brats' out there who haven't been given a house
    I can just see the absolutely life-changing and massive impact it would have on my life so why wouldn't I want that for her? It's not like I'm giving her a limitless credit card to just p!ss up against the wall it's a place to live
    My parents helped us with a house deposit, twice. Due to the rising house prices the difference in the amount they helped with both times was significantly different. They have been paid back, but the pressure that was on us to try and rent, save for a deposit, and raise a family was huge. Getting back in to the market (as we sadly got hit very badly in the GFC in 2008 and lost everything we had worked hard for), was huge, and house prices just kept jumping. My parents loaned us a deposit, and we bought a modest house in a great area. It helped us hugely. It allowed me to go to university and get a career (otherwise I would have had to go and get a job to save the years I spent at uni instead), and allowed us to achieve things we couldn't have achieved had we had to make a house deposit the number one priority.
    The house deposit opened up so many opportunities for us. Your daughter won't be a brat because of it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (27-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    nt they helped with both times was significantly different. They have been paid back, but the pressure that was on us to try and rent, save for a deposit, and raise a family was huge.
    This is our issue. By the time we raise a family, pay rent AND save for a deposit it's taking forever, and housing prices just keep rising. We save more, prices go up and we go around and around I know it sounds whiny, but I'm so jealous of those whose parents helped them. We will get there, but I just feel so frustrated that it's taking so long.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (27-04-2017),Little Miss Sunshine  (28-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Both boys already have an investment account up by my folks. They both got the same amount at birth and it's invested in trust under my name and also offsets my mortgage lol. I also put $10 a week into each of their accounts so one day they will have money to buy a small car. We'll help them out as much as possible. DS1 has already set he's never moving out as a section of our house is self contained so he'll have that part with his future partner if he wants to and because the boys have a 9 yr gap there will be no fighting. But our aim is to buy them each a house have it rented out and when/if they want to move in they can but they will continue to pay a "rent" on it still making it theirs then when we "pop" off they get the house. Then they'll get what we leave them aswell.

My folks have helped me out massively when i became a solo mum before DS1 was born. I had a $300k mortgage to deal with a very nasty divorce and a lawyer that was $300/hr and is now $580/hr. I own them around $40k maybe more I've lost track. They still help occasionally now but not as as dp pays all the bills while I'm not working

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are aiming buy kids a house each plus there savings

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    This is our issue. By the time we raise a family, pay rent AND save for a deposit it's taking forever, and housing prices just keep rising. We save more, prices go up and we go around and around I know it sounds whiny, but I'm so jealous of those whose parents helped them. We will get there, but I just feel so frustrated that it's taking so long.
    It's awful. I am thankful every day my parents could help us get our feet on the ground again.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

delirium  (27-04-2017)