+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Private health insurance vs extras

Hi I am hoping to seek some advice, I am looking at joining Bupa Private Health Insurance. I am just wanting to know what everyone's thoughts are on the extras side of things. I am currently thinking it is not worth it but then I don't want to them wish we had it, having never had private health insurance before and not having anyone I can ask for advice your assistance would be much appreciated

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We are with Bupa and use the extras quite a bit. DH uses it for optical - he gets something like 2 free pairs of glasses a year (or at least they're much cheaper than they would be), dental (I use a Bupa recommended dentist and there's no out of pocket cost), I have also used the physio and currently able to claim for my acupuncture and remedial massage that I've been using throughout my pregnancy. I will use the optical aspect once I'm no longer pregnant as there's no point getting my eyes tested during pregnancy and it's been too many years since I last had them checked.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it depends on your needs and lifestyle. We definitely use our extras alot - I claimed back $1000 of physio last year, along with optical for DH, dental for both of us and the kids, weekly pilates classes (only get a small proportion of this back), OT and speech for my daughter. Others I know don't use any of their extras and it wouldn't be worth it for them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm with Bupa and have top Hospital and silver extras. I like having extras for the unsuspecting issues like physio, Chiro and dentist. I also try to make the most of it - found out I could claim remedial massage so I was going once a month as a treat to relax but it did wonders for my back

You need to be savvy with using extras...that's the main reason we have PHI.

Thanks
    Reviews

We use our extras more than our hospital and have recently lowered our hospital cover. We don't maximise our extras like we could as I don't use a Bupa dentist or Bupa optical due to health conditions and continuity of care so don't get all my benefits but DH uses the chiro, DS uses psychology and orthodontists. I also use podiatrist and prescription benefits

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for the advice, I am thinking about getting top hospital with Mabey silver extras

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerBaker View Post
    Thank you for the advice, I am thinking about getting top hospital with Mabey silver extras
    That's what we had but when it went to $205 a fortnight I lowered to basic hospital and silver extras for $150 a fortnight

Thanks
    Reviews
    In all honesty we had put off getting it due to the sheer cost but due to the way the current hospitals are in and the waiting times associated with even the most simple things I feel we don't really have a choice

Thanks
    Reviews

We have bupa, top hospital with gold extras. Things we claim:
    DH - optical (his HUGE need), dentists, occasionally physiotherapy
    Me- optical (2 new pairs of glasses each year), dentists, physiotherapy &hydrotherapy (my huge ones), podiatrists, pharmaceutical, psychology
    DS - dental

Edit to add, we have a high excess, which we pay for only dh and I. But I have a history of going to hospital at least 1-3 times a year.
    Some surgeons have additional out of pocket fees for surgeries as well. And some anthesthists also charge a gap fee above Medicare and bupa.
    Last edited by Loveablebubbles; 28-04-2017 at 02:36.