+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mambo View Post
    4 year old kinder.. We're trying to work out what will suit our dd better.. 2 x 8 hour days per week, vs 3 x 5 hour sessions per week.. Does anyone have any experience with either and opinions on what worked or didn't work?? Our dd hasn't been in any long daycare, but is pretty adaptable. 2 long days will be easier for work etc, but not sure if that will be the best preparation for school...
    We do 3 x 5 hour days. Really happy with it.

I think 5 hour days are long enough. My DD loves going off to kinder in the morning (getting ready with her older sis who goes off to school)

I find the three days 'fills' the week a bit more for her, she's not as tired because the days are manageable and keeps her busier/happier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mmm so torn! The two long days would suit us a lot better overall. I will have another baby and the long days mean DH could do drop off and pick up, plus the days of the week work better with other activities, but I suppose those can be changed. I had heard that on the long days that the last couple of hours are a bit of a write off because the kids are all so tired.. Argh seems like it should be a simple decision!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mmm so torn! The two long days would suit us a lot better overall. I will have another baby and the long days mean DH could do drop off and pick up, plus the days of the week work better with other activities, but I suppose those can be changed. I had heard that on the long days that the last couple of hours are a bit of a write off because the kids are all so tired.. Argh seems like it should be a simple decision!
    It's never easy is it?! So many things to take into consideration. Only you know how your DD will go with two long days. I know if it were my DD, had she not been in care beforehand, it would have made her way too tired and she would have needed a very slow day afterwards to recover. As far as activities go, they will need to be moved around next year anyway won't they, when she's in full time school? We haven't done any activities so far this year, while DD gets used to her 3 days (although I work on her off days as well so there's not a lot of time, but hopefully we'll start after school swimming this year).

Just some more thoughts to consider

4. The Following User Says Thank You to frankie46 For This Useful Post:

Mambo  (25-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes this is something to consider. I know at our kindergarten the children have nap/ rest time (for one hour) on the long days. This really put me off tbh

6. The Following User Says Thank You to yadot For This Useful Post:

Mambo  (25-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by yadot View Post
    Yes this is something to consider. I know at our kindergarten the children have nap/ rest time (for one hour) on the long days. This really put me off tbh
    Yes. I really can't imagine my dd having a rest at kinder.. She dropped her day nap ages ago. So this kind of puts me off too.. I'd rather she have the shorter days and get more out of it. But then I think of all the kids doing long daycare and figure they survive just fine 😂 SO INDECISIVE!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did 3 x 5hr days with mine. I felt the long days were just too much. I was a SAHM though, so had the luxury of choice. I understand that the long days are better for families where both parents work.