+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Wow I saw the doctor alone and consented to and organised to have a mole cut out of my toe the following week at 17.. my parents knew I was going to get it checked etc.. but did trust me and the dr to make the right decision..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think it's perfectly fine, at 16 years old you want her to start thinking for herself, I think agreeing to a flu vac is a great choice for her to be making if she is asthmatic.
    She is growing up and you need to take a step back with certain things.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mokeybear For This Useful Post:

amyd  (25-04-2017),Happymum2  (25-04-2017),HollyGolightly81  (25-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    In some cases, i would go so far as to say a GP would be a little derelict in their duty if they *didn't * ask a 16 year old if there was anything they wanted to discuss without their parent there.

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

amyd  (25-04-2017),Happymum2  (25-04-2017),HillDweller  (25-04-2017),HollyGolightly81  (25-04-2017),Little Miss Sunshine  (25-04-2017),smallpotatoes  (25-04-2017),TheGooch  (25-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sparklebug View Post
    That's exactly right she asked, and as a parent the OP probably knows her child's medical history best, therefore since she was right there in the room, therefore could have easily been advised.

As far as sexual health goes, generally it is not something your going to have a reaction to, or that will impact you general well being, and legally you are able to consent at 16, so there are no grey areas there, legally a gp can prescribe the pill or whatever.

My 13 year old is mature, (well mostly), and while I would happily have her attend a therapy session for a mental health issue, there is no way I would allow a gp to make decisions regarding her medical health without consulting me.
    That's right I do know my daughters medical history and she has had reactions to immunisation before that have required trips to a&e. We were going to a party out bush that night and my daughter was doing a show as she plays guitar and sings. So I would have preferred we did it the following week In case of a reaction that could have happend in the middle of nowhere and prevented her from playing.

I am ok with her talking privately with the GP but I need to know about medications as my dd has suffered some brain damage and forgets a lot of things.

The age of consent for sex is 17 in Tasmania. I have taken my daughter to the GP before for the birth control pill or the implant. we decided that we would trail the mini pill as she suffers from a typical migrains and the pill could affect them. Anyway she is happy to talk to me about that kind of stuff so I

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skye Baby For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (25-04-2017),sparklebug  (25-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BH-KatiesMum View Post
    Maybe the GP ask you to leave so that he/she could ask about sexual health/contraception etc ... and then the flu shot went on from after that conversation as an incidental "oh and while you are here, seeing as you have asthma you should have a flu shot"

It certainly seems unlikely that the flu shot itself would be something that you would not be included in, but I totally get a GP wanting to speak privately to a 16 yr old without her parents attending.
    The whole practice is currently pushing the flu needle ATM.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, giving a young person information letting them go off and process given information is letting the young person make their own decisions.
    Taking a few minutes to tell them whatever you can cram in a short dr's appointment to me is not allowing them to make their own informed decision. Not to mention it is a grey area legally.

I'm just surprised that people would so blindly trust a gp, and be so sure they're aren't pushing their own pharmaceutical agenda.
    I feel I have gone off on a tangent, and totally derailed- so I'm agreeing to disagree with everyone, I personally will not allow a gp to make decisions for my children, on any medical procedure no matter how minor, without my consent, until they are 18, and responsible for their own medical health.
    And I'm leaving it at that.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this a bit more time to process things is always a good thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HillDweller View Post
    You would be upset if your 16 year old went to the GP for sexual health issues, because you expect they would come to you about those things, but you freaked out about them making their own decision over a flu jab?

If you are a self confessed 'control freak' when it comes to your child's health, I think you might be surprised about how willing they'll be to discuss those type of issues with you going forward.

I would have been mortified if my mum had even come in to the doctor with me at 16, not about if she started trying to make medical decisions on my behalf - especially very minor ones. If I wanted her there, and wanted her input, I would have asked.

I doubt the dr asked you to leave the room to do a flu shot. He asked you to leave so he could see if there was anything your daughter wanted to discuss that she wasn't comfortable discussing in front of you. Maybe he had sensed you were a bit of a 'control freak' and thought your daughter should be given the opportunity to speak for herself?
    I think you are talking about two different people here I never said I was a 'control freak' and the Doctor wanted to talk to her alone about her eating disorder I don't know where the sex things came into it. I am ok with her talking alone, this is not the first health professional we have seen in relation to this it has been going on for years.
    Anyway I have spoken with my dd and she likes this GP and feels she has made a connection with her, she will often not reveal the truth as to what is going on. She has an eating disorder and she has lied to doctors and health professionals in the past when she is not comfortable, she is good at telling them what they want to hear or completely avoiding certain topics.
    I have told dd if she wants me to stay when I am asked to to speak up and I will stay. I also discussed making informed decisions.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Skye Baby For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (25-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Skye Baby View Post
    The whole practice is currently pushing the flu needle ATM.
    That is because we are entering in to flu season.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mokeybear For This Useful Post:

amyd  (25-04-2017),Hopeful37  (25-04-2017),JustJaq  (25-04-2017),LaDiDah  (25-04-2017),smallpotatoes  (25-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    So I've been up in ed with ds2 and there was a young girl in the paed department waiting area by herself so obviously from a stand point they can go there to be treated by a doctor without their parents to. I was 16 when I got my own Medicare card according to my mum and would go to the doctors without her and dad

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokeybear View Post
    That is because we are entering in to flu season.
    This

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Hopeful37 For This Useful Post:

Mokeybear  (25-04-2017)