+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm afraid I have to disagree, I would be livid.
    Were you discussing vaccines when he asked you to leave? If you weren't and just he asked you to leave, it seems very odd and inappropriate.
    As far as I know this would not constitute an appropriate assessment of maturity, I was under the impression that a dr would consult with a colleague to assess the maturity of a minor.

Asking a parent to leave the room then advising a minor to a medical procedure in my opinion is inappropriate.

Livid does not even begin to explain what I would be.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sparklebug For This Useful Post:

misho  (26-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The age of medical consent varies state to state and regardless is a grey area with teens. If a teen is mature enough, is informed and has consented then that will often override parental consent. If a teen refuses vaccination, they generally cannot be forced, even with parental consent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaybaby View Post
    The age of medical consent varies state to state and regardless is a grey area with teens. If a teen is mature enough, is informed and has consented then that will often override parental consent. If a teen refuses vaccination, they generally cannot be forced, even with parental consent.
    DD12 had her school vaccinations at school this week and it said somewhere in the information that the child would not be forced to have the needle even if the form was signed.

I think 16 years old is old enough for medical consent. I went and got the morning after pill at 16 I'm glad they didn't have to run that past my mother!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sparklebug View Post
    I'm afraid I have to disagree, I would be livid.
    Were you discussing vaccines when he asked you to leave? If you weren't and just he asked you to leave, it seems very odd and inappropriate.
    As far as I know this would not constitute an appropriate assessment of maturity, I was under the impression that a dr would consult with a colleague to assess the maturity of a minor.

Asking a parent to leave the room then advising a minor to a medical procedure in my opinion is inappropriate.

Livid does not even begin to explain what I would be.
    We were not discussing immunisation at all. I was asked to leave as my DD has some mental issues related to an eating disorder. I asked the GP about prescribing a preventative for asthma as I was leaving the room, as the last time we were there this was overlooked as I was also asked to leave the room and not invited back in. I guess it's a matter of opinion if she is mature enough to make that desision. In some ways she is very mature and other ways she is very immature and extremely impressionable.

I have to say I was a bit livid as I had to forced dd to go to the appointment. She was refusing to go due to an anxiety attack and wanted me to go in with her. I think I might change her GP as I felt she should have consulted me, this is only the second time we have seen her. My daughter also see's a paediatrician who always gets me to come back in after they have a private talk so I know what's going on. I am not nieave, as my dd has lied a lot to me with her eating disorder, but so much has come out in the open about the serverity of things and I am the one who continues to push for the help she needs. My dd and I have a very open an honest relationship, she discusses a lot of what other kids would not dream of telling their parents. I might ask dd how she feels about me leaving the room in future and tell her that if she wants me to stay with her to say so and I will.
    I feel like the GP is trying to put distance between us as at the last appointment she was like saying my daughter needed to start taking responsibility for her own health and should come to her appointments on her own. One of my worry's with this is if she has another anxiety attack and misses the appointment, and I am not around then I will have to pay, they bulk bill children at the practice but they bill you for missed appointments.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'd would say reminding the GP about your DD's asthma is no doubt why the flu shot came up. People with asthma, if they get the flu, are highly likely to suffer worse than someone without.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

Gentoo  (25-04-2017),HollyGolightly81  (25-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The fluvax would have been recommended as she asthmatic..it's free for those with respiratory disorder and highly recommended as of course flu can be catastrophic in those with a compromised respiratory system.
    WRT not being in the room, psych issues, Dr's and teens are a whole differ ball game. My 13yo DD was seeing a psych at Headspace last year, parents were certainly not invited in, and no information would be given to the parent without the express consent of the teen - unless they felt there was life threatening behavior. My DD was happy to have her psych give me an overview of what was going on...but I would have been completely ok if she was not ok with it.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (25-04-2017),Happymum2  (25-04-2017),HollyGolightly81  (25-04-2017),Little Miss Sunshine  (25-04-2017),Tiny Dancer  (25-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default What age can teenagers consent to flu needles?

It sounds like the GP was actually following your wishes in regards to the flu vaccine since you had asked for something regarding her asthma.

As far as how much the GP should have to inform you? If you're there for mental health reasons for a 16 year old, I think it's fair to assume that you are not really entitled to know what they have spoken about. If you're daughter wants to discuss with you that is fine but I don't think the GP owes you any sort of explanation in regards to what they have discussed.

From your last post it sounds a bit like you are taking this GP's actions or comments personally, I highly doubt she is trying to put distance between you and your daughter. I think she's just trying to be respectful and professional in terms of your daughter's age and what is required of her.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 25-04-2017 at 05:54.

11. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

amyd  (25-04-2017),BH-KatiesMum  (25-04-2017),Gentoo  (25-04-2017),gingermillie  (25-04-2017),Happymum2  (25-04-2017),JustJaq  (25-04-2017),LaDiDah  (25-04-2017),Little Miss Sunshine  (25-04-2017),Mokeybear  (25-04-2017),Renn  (25-04-2017),Wonderer89  (25-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default What age can teenagers consent to flu needles?

I agree that that the gp does not need to disclose everything that is discussed regarding a mental health issue, however, considering the OP had expressed concern regarding her DD's asthma I see no reason why she couldn't be informed about the vaccine.

Of course sexual health is another thing a gp most certainly does not need to tell parents about, age of consent is 16, so it shouldn't even be an issue, this is something very different though.

OP you obviously know best what is going on in this situation, if it doesn't feel right find someone better, can I suggest if your DD is having mental health issues try to find a psychiatrist that deals with adolescents, I think you'll find it more beneficial than a gp. You said she has panic attacks so a psychiatrist is probably better than a psychologist, as they are able to prescribe medication if it becomes necessary.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaybaby View Post
    The fluvax would have been recommended as she asthmatic..it's free for those with respiratory disorder and highly recommended as of course flu can be catastrophic in those with a compromised respiratory system.
    WRT not being in the room, psych issues, Dr's and teens are a whole differ ball game. My 13yo DD was seeing a psych at Headspace last year, parents were certainly not invited in, and no information would be given to the parent without the express consent of the teen - unless they felt there was life threatening behavior. My DD was happy to have her psych give me an overview of what was going on...but I would have been completely ok if she was not ok with it.
    I completely agree that a mental health issue does not need to be disclosed, or discussed with parents, I totally agree that the parents shouldn't be in the room while a session is taking place, although a good health professional will advise parents how to best support their child.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by sparklebug View Post
    I agree that that the gp does not need to disclose everything that is discussed regarding a mental health issue, however, considering the OP had expressed concern regarding her DD's asthma I see no reason why she couldn't be informed about the vaccine.

Of course sexual health is another thing a gp most certainly does not need to tell parents about, age of consent is 16, so it shouldn't even be an issue, this is something very different though.

OP you obviously know best what is going on in this situation, if it doesn't feel right find someone better, can I suggest if your DD is having mental health issues try to find a psychiatrist that deals with adolescents, I think you'll find it more beneficial than a gp. You said she has panic attacks so a psychiatrist is probably better than a psychologist, as they are able to prescribe medication if it becomes necessary.
    But she asked for something preventative for the asthma, the GP didn't just do the flu vax for no reason.

It's a bit odd that we will say the age of consent is 16 and parents don't have to be informed regarding their 16 year old's s3xual history but we'll take issue with them not being informed about a flu jab?

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (25-04-2017),Gentoo  (25-04-2017),JustJaq  (25-04-2017)