+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What age can teenagers consent to flu needles?

Ok so I took my daughter to the GP and I was in the waiting room as doctor wanted to talk to my 16 year old alone. My daughter comes out and said she just had a flu needle. I felt really annoyed that the doctor did not ask me if this was ok.
    So I was wondering if anyone knows what age minors can consent to needles without parents consent?
    Do you think that I should have been asked?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Essentially, it is a matter of whether the young person is considered mature enough to decide for themselves. This will depend on the individual young person, and how significant/serious the decision is.

Without knowing more about your daughter, i would think that most 16 year olds would be considered mature enough to decide on a flu vax for themselves without parental consent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    16. They can also be considered a 'mature minor' younger than that, and have all sorts of procedures done without parental consent if considered responsible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post
    Essentially, it is a matter of whether the young person is considered mature enough to decide for themselves. This will depend on the individual young person, and how significant/serious the decision is.

Without knowing more about your daughter, i would think that most 16 year olds would be considered mature enough to decide on a flu vax for themselves without parental consent.
    Agreed. The only reason I'd be annoyed about it is if it incurred an extra charge and I hadn't agreed to paying the extra. If it was done for free, then I'd have no issues. For what it's worth, this flu season is expected to be particularly bad so hopefully she'll avoid the worst of it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not sure how consent works legally in this situation, but I would think that 16 is generally old enough to consent to a flu shot.

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Winner 2016 BubHubs DIVA Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    A quick google tells me that in Tasmania the age of consent for medical procedures is 18.
    However there are certain circumstances, vaccines being one of them, where a younger person may have sufficient maturity to consent. There's ways to determine this.
    Why are you annoyed?
    What did your daughter want to do? Does she feel she was given enough information to make her own decision?

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's 16 for medical consent; they can make their own doctor's appointments, request to start the OCP, see a psychologist etc. without you being informed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all your replies sounds like I just need to get used to the fact that she is growing up. I guess because they ask us to sign consent forms at school to give needles I thought I should have been consulted.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGooch View Post
    A quick google tells me that in Tasmania the age of consent for medical procedures is 18.
    However there are certain circumstances, vaccines being one of them, where a younger person may have sufficient maturity to consent. There's ways to determine this.
    Why are you annoyed?
    What did your daughter want to do? Does she feel she was given enough information to make her own decision?
    I guess I was probably more shocked than annoyed as she was there in relation to something completely different. I am also in two minds about the flu needle as I have read a few articles about it that are not too positive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Skye Baby View Post
    Thanks for all your replies sounds like I just need to get used to the fact that she is growing up. I guess because they ask us to sign consent forms at school to give needles I thought I should have been consulted.

I guess I was probably more shocked than annoyed as she was there in relation to something completely different. I am also in two minds about the flu needle as I have read a few articles about it that are not too positive.
    I would suggest you read some peer reviewed scientific studies rather than "articles" about the flu vaccine - hopefully will put your mind at ease

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lil M For This Useful Post:

amyd  (25-04-2017)

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Winner 2016 BubHubs DIVA Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Skye Baby View Post

That might be a really good place to start a conversation with your daughter.
    About how we make choices about our bodies and medical treatment and that there's some fairly straightforward questions she can ask a Dr before consenting to any procedure.

Others might be able to help but off the top of my head:
    a) what does x treatment/vaccine do?
    b) are there potential side effects? What are they? (Then she can consider if it's a risk she's willing to take)
    c) are there any other options?
    d) what are the benefits?
    e) is there any other reading I can do to help me decide if it's something I want to do?

Ok that may sound OTT for a flu vaccine but it might be a good place to start. To help her decide as she gets older, which treatments/vaccinations she wants to proceed with.

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

amyd  (25-04-2017),bezzy  (25-04-2017),DT75  (26-04-2017),JR03  (24-04-2017),Mod-Uniquey  (26-04-2017),PomPoms  (24-04-2017),Wise Enough  (25-04-2017),Yogis Mumma  (24-04-2017)