+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Donor sperm?

Hi ladies I am wondering if anyone would care to share regarding their experience with donor sperm from anonymous donor - which clinic, how long did you have to wait to reach the top of the list, and did it work?
    DP and I are looking at using Donor sperm for next cycle as our current cycle is likely a failure due to poor sperm quality
    I feel like I've already been waiting so long to be pregnant and now will be waiting even longer.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Donor sperm?

Hi hun, I went to Life Fertility in Brisbane, and there was no waiting list as they use American donors, so there's always a selection of around 10-15 donors to choose from for immediate use. Unfortunately legislation varies from state to state though. For example WA is still in the dark ages, there are only local donors available and back in my IVF days it was a 2 year waiting list.

Oh and yes it did work, eventually. I had egg quality issues too, but we got our son from our 5th stim cycle (6th transfer). We went on to have twin girls last year through donor embryos in Czech Republic.
    Last edited by Sariele; 24-04-2017 at 17:38.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sariele For This Useful Post:

nettz84  (24-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am from WA and due to the long wait in WA went to QFG in Brisbane to see Wazza due to his great reputation. There was no wait for sperm as they ship in from Xytex in the US. I had over 20 to choose from. Imported sperm is generally of a higher quality as for every 100 donations., they may only use 20 as they are greatly concerned with quality. We were successful first time with DD using own eggs. My DD now has many (over 30) half siblings.. All over the world.. So I know quality was good. When it came to number 2.. Same sperm was available so bought more.. For 3 more ivf cycles in Oz.. But it eventually took 3 trip to Cape Town and donor eggs to get pregnant with number 2. I am currently 25 weeks pregnant with another girl. I was also able to ship the same sperm from Xytex in the US to Cape Town as all donations in SA are anonymous. My Bubs will be half siblings. The fact that the donor would be available in the future was a major consideration.. Unlike local donations. Good luck

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kylie764 For This Useful Post:

nettz84  (24-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am from WA and due to the long wait in WA went to QFG in Brisbane to see Wazza due to his great reputation. There was no wait for sperm as they ship in from Xytex in the US. I had over 20 to choose from. Imported sperm is generally of a higher quality as for every 100 donations., they may only use 20 as they are greatly concerned with quality. We were successful first time with DD using own eggs. My DD now has many (over 30) half siblings.. All over the world.. So I know quality was good. When it came to number 2.. Same sperm was available so bought more.. For 3 more ivf cycles in Oz.. But it eventually took 3 trip to Cape Town and donor eggs to get pregnant with number 2. I am currently 25 weeks pregnant with another girl. I was also able to ship the same sperm from Xytex in the US to Cape Town as all donations in SA are anonymous. My Bubs will be half siblings. The fact that the donor would be available in the future was a major consideration.. Unlike local donations. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Sariele thanks for sharing, wow 2 years is such a long time to wait! Crazy that it varies so much from state to state I will have to look it up. I'm with IVF Australia and I believe they have access to both local and US donors.
    Congratulations on your DS and twin DDs

Thanks
    Reviews
    @kylie764 thanks for your story, no wait at all sounds excellent. How wonderful that your babies will be half siblings!
    Future access is something I hadn't thought of, but as we are only planning on one may not be as big of an issue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Where are you located @nettz84? I'm in Sydney and we went through Fertility First in Hurstville. They have Aussie and US donors and no waiting list which is why we went there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @KarmaJane we are in ACT so choice is limited - we have IVF Australia and Genea and one other that I don't know much about but don't think it's a chain. However with family in Sydney we could potentially access clinics there. I will have to look up Fertility First...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Like PPs have said, whether there is a wait and how long it is varies from state to state. We used donor sperm in Brisbane (local donor) and had no wait list. WA has a looong wait.

Quote Originally Posted by kylie764 View Post
    The fact that the donor would be available in the future was a major consideration.. Unlike local donations. Good luck
    FWIW, it's not necessarily the case that local donors won't be available in the future. If they have hit their family limit, but the clinic still has straws available, they can be used for siblings in the same family. We are currently pregnant with number 2 from the same local anon donor!
    Last edited by JustJaq; 24-04-2017 at 20:45.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

nettz84  (24-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had only planned on having one.. But here I am with number 2 on board. ... So you never know. My donor had hit his family limit, but I was able to access more as there was some left in both oz and US for me to buy. I wouldn't have been able to ship a local donor to South Africa though.,... But it depends a lot of the time on the clinic you chose. Some states may having a cooling off period.. Have you factored in this also. WA has a 6 month cooling off period.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kylie764 For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (24-04-2017),nettz84  (24-04-2017)