ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Every year I take the kids to either the dawn service or Anzac Parade. This year we are going to the parade as I feel my 5yo gets more out of it. It's important to me that my children are aware of the sacrifices Australians before them had to make, and how different and hard life was for our forebears.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes, we attend the dawn service every year with our 4 daughters. We haven't been to the March every year just the dawn service but this year the girls are marching we their school after the dawn service.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I come from a long line of military history, on both my dads and mums sides of the family. My grandfather was a very prominent military figure, when he passed away 2 years ago his funeral was full of army personnel and the separate service was held to honor his contribution. He fought in 2 wars, one as a pilot and one on the ground, and was badly injured during an ambush.

My other grandfather came back from WWII a very disturbed and angry man, he was incredibly abusive and my grandmother never speaks of him or the war, and doesn't like anything to do with the military.

My dad is still serving, he will likely be deployed to active service in a conflict zone later this year.

Having said all that, no I am not attending a service. I would like to, but the kids are too young and DS isn't well at the moment. I went to the ANZAC dawn service at Gallipoli for the 90th anniversary and it was something I'll never forget. I also attended the Lone Pine service which was also very moving.

For me, the day actually has nothing to do with the military or politics or any of that. It's about the people themselves, about the incredible personal sacrifice, their experiences - the fear, the endurance, the camaraderie, the trauma - and recognizing what they went through.

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (24-04-2017),BH-KatiesMum  (24-04-2017),Chippa  (24-04-2017),Elijahs Mum  (24-04-2017),HearMeRoar  (25-04-2017),Mod-Uniquey  (24-04-2017),Phony  (25-04-2017),SuperGranny  (26-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    @LoveLivesHere how did explain (and at what age) to your kids about your dad being in Vietnam?
    We have always spoken about it, so from day dot. Answer any questions with a age appropriate answer. Dad has bad pstd. So my kids have seen some strange behavior that needed to be explained. We dont tell them everything about his time over there as some stuff we didnt learn about until we were adults when dad felt comfortable enough telling dh as he was in the army at the time. He was attached to the us int3lligence for a while and seen things no man should see. So we talk about the regular army stuff and comradeship etc... we mainly answer questions rather than volunteering too much information.

Myself and some children have deformities from him being sprayed with agent orange repeatedly. So the hear about that in medical appointments.

Ds2 (8) is obsessed with all things army.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (24-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My two eldest sons will be marching in the local 11am parade for their school, and Hubby and I are going with the ambulance, in uniform, in line behind them with our two younger kids.
    My husband will probably also go to the dawn service. I usually skip that as I stay home with the kids. They are still young and don't understand and I don't want them disrupting others.
    We don't have the grandfathers that served in the war and or anything that ties us to it (My dad was navy and a few uncles as well but that was more recent history and I'm estranged from them), it's just something we both think is important and important to show our kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No. I'm a British immigrant so it's not something we've grown up with. I also have anxiety issues/OCD and can't leave the house until I've been up for at least 2 hours so I'd have to get up at 3:30am!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post

For me, the day actually has nothing to do with the military or politics or any of that. It's about the people themselves, about the incredible personal sacrifice, their experiences - the fear, the endurance, the camaraderie, the trauma - and recognizing what they went through.
    This...This is what ANZAC day is about for me absolutely...

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

Happymum2  (25-04-2017),HearMeRoar  (25-04-2017),Mod-Uniquey  (25-04-2017),SuperGranny  (26-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Dd is presenting a wreath with her girl guides group and we are attending a service after but not the dawn one

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    My dad was in Vietnam too but unfortunately he won't march (never has, never will)

Mum and I and my sister and older niece go to the local Dawn service, she used to take us into the city every year when we were younger, I haven't taken DS to a Dawn service yet but did take him to the march last year

mum and dad and my sister and her family are coming here for breakfast in the morning, dad doesn't like talking about it , especially around the kids, DS knows he went to war but honestly I don't really like talking to him about it yet as he's too young to understand (dad was conscripted )
    It takes a lot for them to start talking. Dad would only go to a service in the early days with no medals he just to watch. Then as a joke he said let's go to Vietnam on a holiday so without him knowing my mum booked them in plus myself and my sister and our exh and paid for it all. It was a very moving trip esp for dad as we saw places he went to in 68/69 when he was there. We where in Nha Trang for the celebrations. It was after this trip he started talking and since ds was born in 07 he's opened up more mainly because ds asks questions all the time. They had dawn service in their cruise yesterday as they docked today and the weird thing he met a guy that knows one of friends hubby's here in SA and he was in 9 RAR same as my dad but my dad was A company & other guy was B company. During the war their gun bunkers where next to each other but they never met

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We went to the local service. The kids March with the school and lay a wreath.

As a kid we didn't always do to Anzac Day because dad (Vietnam vet) didn't want to. When I was a teen he started going again and tracked down some old mates.

We have quite a big family history of service and I still have a number of cousins serving. We had POW relatives and a Gallipoli veteran so it's always been something we've known about.

Dad still doesn't talk much, and I don't think he ever will but I think I'm going to ask him for some photos for the kids. DS1 is almost 7 and he is just starting to understand. He didn't want to go today (apparently it's boring) but I told him that because pa did things he didn't want to then occasionally he could do the same and that it would please Pa.