+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DF served overseas for a while and has organised a BBQ with some old mates. I'm happy he's catching up with mates as he rarely does and has been through some $hite beyond belief. Anyway, so I'll be going to that. Not sure about the dawn service yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I've never been to an ANZAC service apart from the ones I've attended at school as a student and then later as a teacher. It was never something my parents introduced us to being immigrants but as I've gotten older and I identify as Australian more than my parents did it means more to me so I teach my children about the history. Maybe when they're older I will take them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I do the dawn service with my scout group and then we go to a march later on in the morning.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Are you going to an ANZAC service tomorrow?

I took the kids last year as they were marching past the shop where hubby was working. Before that I don't recall having been to a service, my grandfather served in ww2 but I don't think he ever marched.

This year we probably won't as we have visitors from Germany coming to visit so I will be getting everything ready.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've never been. As much as I respect the sacrifices made by service men and women and their families, I think I'm too conflicted about my feelings on the armed forces in general to attend. It's feel to me like attending a particularly somber church service as an atheist.

Both of my grandfathers served in WWII, as did one of my grandmothers (as a nurse). We have plenty of other service people in the family, but I grew up with my entire family being quite critical of the military. My parents would probably have taken us to a service if we'd asked, but not of their own volition. That said, I think that ANZAC day has become a much bigger deal in general since I was a kid.

Maybe one day I'll go along.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (24-04-2017),PomPoms  (24-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes.
    My FIL served in Vietnam and is now the president of one of the largest RSLs in the country.
    It is a very hard day for him so we go to show our support and help him through the day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babybeeno1 View Post
    I've every year for the past 20 odd years with my dad who is a Vietnam vet. It took him a long time to go and watch then 12 yrs ago he started marching this was 2005 and actually in vietnam when we went there for the 30 year celebration of the war ending. This year will be my first that I don't as my folks are on a cruise and I don't want to take ds down when he has been a sick bubba the last 2.5 weeks but dp & DS1 will go to dawn service at Brighton
    My dad was in Vietnam too but unfortunately he won't march (never has, never will)

Mum and I and my sister and older niece go to the local Dawn service, she used to take us into the city every year when we were younger, I haven't taken DS to a Dawn service yet but did take him to the march last year

mum and dad and my sister and her family are coming here for breakfast in the morning, dad doesn't like talking about it , especially around the kids, DS knows he went to war but honestly I don't really like talking to him about it yet as he's too young to understand (dad was conscripted )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Week ended 24/7/2014100 Posts in a week

Default Are you going to an ANZAC service tomorrow?

We are going to our local early morning service. DS1 is laying a wreath on behalf of his school, as well as marching, and DS2 and DD are marching with their school.

I haven't been to a dawn service for years. The one they have here in town is so beautiful. I'd love to take the kids one day but it'd mean missing our local service.

I love ANZAC Day. Well, I don't know if love is the right word, but it holds a very special place in my heart and I get quite emotional.

DS1 will be wearing my Great Uncle's medals and DS2 will be wearing my Granny's medals.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    My family organizes and runs a service about a hours drive from our place. Dh is bugle/trumpet player for the service. Most of our family play some roll in the day.

Dad is a Vietnam veteran. Dh is a ex serviceman.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveLivesHere View Post
    My family organizes and runs a service about a hours drive from our place. Dh is bugle/trumpet player for the service. Most of our family play some roll in the day.

Dad is a Vietnam veteran. Dh is a ex serviceman.
    @LoveLivesHere how did explain (and at what age) to your kids about your dad being in Vietnam?

Mum was innocently telling DH a few weeks ago how she used to get upset when she never got a letter from dad when he was in Vietnam , how she and my nan (she lived with dad's parents when he was away) would wait patiently for the postie and how upset they both got when she didn't get a letter, a few days later when putting DS to bed he started crying saying "I don't want to go to war when I'm older" I said oh darling you won't have too why would you say that and he said he didn't want me and nanny to cry like nanny did when poppy went away , he was obviously listening to their conversation, I had to stop myself from crying and just said that was a long time ago and not to worry about it - (dad was conscripted so I definitely don't want to tell him he was forced to go to war) he's only 6 but seems to think about things a lot so I'm trying to just avoid/make light of it as if I tell him too much he will dwell/worry about it