+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Vacectomy reversal

Hi

My partner has had a vacectomy 8-9 years ago. We have no children together and wanting to have a child together. Our age is a big problem, he is 39 and i am 40 but want the bond of our own child.

Any advice is appreicated. We dont have private health insurance. Ive read a good surgeon is important to get a better success rate, anyone have experience in drs in newcastle? Or central coast, sydney. Willing to travel if necessary. And costs, ect.

Thanks

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Plj77 For This Useful Post:

amypond  (23-06-2017)

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Hi and welcome to bubhub

just wanting to wish you the best for your journey. Its never easy.

I have not been in this situation - but from what I understand the odds of success are much better for IVF than for a vasectomy reversal so many people in these circumstances just do IVF.

Perhaps go and have a look through the IVF section on here - and post your question there. You may get more responses from people.

Also check out the over 40 and IVF

IVF - here

over 40 - here

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Vacectomy reversal

Hi Plj77

I'm in a TTC after VR thread and I know A LOT of people that have gone through the process will agree with me that IVF is the way to go hands down. The majority of us that have had the procedure only to need ivf after a year or more of ttc is the bigger percentage of the group. With age against you, you don't have time and money to waste on a reversal. (I'm sorry if that sounds frank, I'm just being totally honest as I wish someone was with me).

We had our procedure done in 2013. Though, like many, it was a technical success with return of semen to ejaculate, the number were never going to be enough to fall pregnant naturally. Out surgeon was the leading one on the GC, trained by the surgeon that pioneered the micro surgical operation itself. But he is not god. We wasted a whole year trying naturally with sperm counts increasing and peaking at 65 million per ml (but nearly all abnormal) and then decreasing. We then moved to ivf. It took 5 rounds and a further 2 years. We only just have our beautiful baby now. I was only 25 when all this started and it didn't work for us and many others. With your age already being a factor, if a surgeon told you you have a real chance with this route, then they are a criminal. I would be looking into extraction (TESA or MTESE) and going the ivf route. There are a lot of low cost around although many won't be able to do the extraction.

I wish you the very best. It's emotionally the hardest thing you will ever do, but it's worth it x

5. The Following User Says Thank You to StillHopeful For This Useful Post:

amypond  (23-06-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have just bumped an old thread for you to read. I tagged your name but I don't think BH works like that x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks, i suggested to hubby ivf and lower costs and waits, etc. Unfortunately he considers this not natural and isnt interested in discussing it. I thought ivf might have been better as it has a medicare rebate, less waiting times, cause of my age and we only want 1 child. Im kinda lost how to approach it again considering his beliefs

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've responded via the Over 40's IVF thread