ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Trigger warning - at what age do you let your kids use public toilets

By themselves? I was just reading this
    http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/man-wanted...23-gvqomt.html
    A 12 year old boy was grabbed in a shopping centre toilet (thankfully he got away) , i know it's rare but can happen, DS is only 6 so still comes in with me or at restaurants he might go with older cousins but what age did your kids start going to the toilet by themselves?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My kids (6,4,2) have used the public toilets as a group before in our local town. These are toilets where I can stand at the door and see straight in so I feel safe.

Other than that they go with me. And to be honest I'm not sure at what point I'll stop that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    My DS is 10 and I still won't let him go alone at shopping centres. I take him to a parents room or disabled toilet and wait outside.
    I hate that we even have to think like this and just when I think maybe I'm being silly and paranoid, this sort of horrible thing happens.
    That poor boy, I'm glad to hear he wriggled away but still, very frightening.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (24-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I'll also add that I don't know what age I'll stop. Maybe when he's nearly my height??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DS is 10 and I also have 2 younger DDs. Where possible we use a family/parents toilet but sometimes not practical especially if there's a queue and a desperate child. I managed to get him to come into the ladies with me under duress until a year or so ago, now he flat out refuses. He looks younger than his age and I think most ladies are understanding of a mum with a boy in the ladies but he isn't comfortable. Every time he goes in on his own I remind him to scream/run out if something is't right. He rolls his eyes. I guess I fall in the 'alert but not alarmed' category. Go on his own when I have sight of the doorway or am in the adjacent ladies - yes. Let him find and go to the men's on his own if we were in another part of the shops - no. But by and by I'll have to lengthen that rope.

By age 12 he'll be starting high school which may involve public transport and a bus change in town. And if he needs to go while waiting for the bus it would be a public toilet on his own. I want him to be aware of his surroundings (take a friend if possible, check for other people around within earshot) when doing so but not terrified.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have taught my teen that going to a public toilet is like walking to your car at night...when possible, take someone with you (if it's a quiet one...there are some known public toilets that are always busy at certain times). I know some will think my decision is OTT but I don't care. Toilets are enclosed spaces that are hard to get out of. I don't even like going to a quiet public toilet on my own.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    Toilets are enclosed spaces that are hard to get out of. I don't even like going to a quiet public toilet on my own.
    Totally OT but I find public toilets just strange. An enclosed space where you do your business in a cubicle right next to someone else doing their business, separated by a thin wall and segregated by gender. There's just no other 'social situation' quite like it. I wish all toilets were a unisex single room, like disabled toilets. I think if it were socially accepted, most people would prefer to use a disabled toilet over a shared toilet space.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

Mama Mirabelle  (24-04-2017),SookiLala  (24-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS1 is nearly 10 and he will only use the family/disabled loo. Very rarely does he want to go to the males alone and if he does he has rules he has to follow. Go into a cubicle do your business wash your hands and get out or if we are near my work I take him there

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't even given birth to my bubba yet and this is one of many things that worries me already.

I do a lot of travelling for work so need to use public facilities quite often. It's usually very early in the morning when I make my first stop, and I don't mind admitting that I will walk up and down past each cubicle to make sure there are no weirdo's hiding in there waiting to get me.

It's a sad state of affairs that a grown woman should feel that way, and it will affect my decision in regards to whether or not I'll let my child use public toilets alone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We use the parenting room toilet.
    With DSD showing signs of getting her period though it's getting tricky as sh doesn't want DSS there.
    I tell them to go into female toilets together... I don't care what people think of a 9 year old boy in there- it's all cubicles and if he isn't in a cubicle he is at the sinks.