+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Had 'Curry Mee Laksa' tonight... made the laksa paste in the Thermomix using a Skinnymixers recipe... OMG delicious! It made 4 portions of paste so the rest is in the freezer for another night!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am using Hello Fresh and sometimes Marley Spoon and it's changed my life. Something different every night, always have the right ingredients and recipes are easy to follow. Really recommend it, the 2 person meals almost always have enough for 2 adults and a kid - I am able to take some for lunch the next day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I find the best way we mix up our meals is I write a meal plan that's a month long (well 4 weeks worth).

For the dinner, I write down 28 different meals and then place them somewhere in the month. That's 4 whole weeks then, that there is no repeated meals.

The other advantage it has, I write it one afternoon when I've got a bit of spare time. The amount of prep work doesn't really hit me when I'm writing it. It's only once I'm making it, but by then it's already too late because it's on the list so I better do it. And surprisingly, having these great meals I thought up and put the bit of extra effort into (rather than standard old meat and 3 veg) taste great. And often, don't take as much work as I originally thought.

For example, I had put off making a big beef pie forever because it seemed so much work. I wrote it into the meal plan so felt I had to make it. I dreaded it for like a week but when the day came, it was so easy to make, costs bugger all and tastes beyond amazing. So now it's a regular, that I otherwise would have avoided.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

Cue  (18-05-2017),SSecret Squirrel  (18-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I LOVE cooking but I only really got into it once we established our garden. Then I feel obligated to cook with our fresh produce

Having good equipment helps a lot too. Our old stove and oven were atrocious, it took 3 hours to cook some chicken breasts, but now that we have a decent oven its so quick and easy. I love trying new stuff!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahalfdozen View Post
    For the dinner, I write down 28 different meals and then place them somewhere in the month. That's 4 whole weeks then, that there is no repeated meals. .
    That's a fantastic idea. Where do you get your inspiration for meals? I'm in a rut and only have about 10 or so dinners on rotation and am limited by fussy eaters.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    That's a fantastic idea. Where do you get your inspiration for meals? I'm in a rut and only have about 10 or so dinners on rotation and am limited by fussy eaters.
    I go through cook books that are on my shelf or sometimes I buy a recipe type magazine as they always have something new in them.

But I'd simply just start by listing down every dinner you can think of that you like and that you like to cook, and it'll add up quicker than you think

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    I find a lot of my recipes on pintrest

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MyDino For This Useful Post:

DynamiteandaLazerBeam  (19-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I find some websites like Jamie Oliver, Donna Hay, and a couple of the masterchef winners or runners up have some good simple recipes on their websites.

The sbs website has a handful of good ones to try if you like multicultural food (I LOVE making Asian dishes).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Cooking Light, is one I flow on fb, they have some great healthy recipes, that taste great and even my kids eat.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to sparklebug For This Useful Post:

Cue  (22-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahalfdozen View Post
    I find the best way we mix up our meals is I write a meal plan that's a month long (well 4 weeks worth).

For the dinner, I write down 28 different meals and then place them somewhere in the month. That's 4 whole weeks then, that there is no repeated meals.

The other advantage it has, I write it one afternoon when I've got a bit of spare time. The amount of prep work doesn't really hit me when I'm writing it. It's only once I'm making it, but by then it's already too late because it's on the list so I better do it. And surprisingly, having these great meals I thought up and put the bit of extra effort into (rather than standard old meat and 3 veg) taste great. And often, don't take as much work as I originally thought.

For example, I had put off making a big beef pie forever because it seemed so much work. I wrote it into the meal plan so felt I had to make it. I dreaded it for like a week but when the day came, it was so easy to make, costs bugger all and tastes beyond amazing. So now it's a regular, that I otherwise would have avoided.
    So do you only cook enough for that meal or do you do batches? Like if bolognese is on the list, would you make a batch and use it the next month to save a cooking day?

I might need to try something like what you do, but I might start with a week and see how we go (I shop weekly).

Unfortunately things have not been going well for my cooking mojo. DS ended up having gastro on and off for almost a month and then I ended up in hospital with a mystery bug so yeah, not great!!

Tonight is a mild chicken curry with rice, it's one of the masterfoods recipe bases that I keep in the pantry just in case. I stack it with veggies so I don't think it's too unhealthy as far as convenience food goes!

I've got some seedlings going and we'll be putting in our veggies gardens in the next couple of weeks so that will help motivate me. I miss the veggie gardens in our old house.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast