+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Low supply first time around, likely to happen again with second baby?

I'm currently 15 weeks pregnant with my second baby. With my DD I had issues with low supply. I tried motilium and pretty much every natural remedy and activity, but nothing worked. I ended up combined feeding until she was 4 months and she self weaned on to the bottle full time.

In this pregnancy I'm noticing significantly more early breast changes. With DD they didn't get any bigger and were basically just a little tender and sensitive the whole way through. This time around I can't fit into some of my normal bras, my breasts are very veiny, itchy skin and so sensitive it hurts!

I'm hoping those are positive signs I might have more success with my second baby, but I'm just looking to hear about others experiences if you had issues first time but not the next? Or if breastfeeding is something you've struggled with each of your babies?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I didn't successfully breastfeed my first. Low supply due to numerous issues.

I've now made it to 8 months breastfeeding my second.

I didn't have any breast changes either time. What I did different this time was really educate myself. I saw an IBCLC and I had her diagnose oral ties then had them lasered.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

bubbletrouble  (23-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Did your first bub have ties too @Mamasupial ? My DD latched perfectly from day 1, but my milk just never seemed to come in properly. I know it's not necessarily an indication of what bub can get from the breast, but even pumping for close to an hour I could get barely 30ml from both on a good day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had significant issues feeding my first. In hindsight, it was a combination of reflux, inefficient suck and my lack of knowledge as to what to do. I ended up comping with formula.

I had no issues feeding my other children. I even had an oversupply with my second - engorged breasts to the point of being painful, I had to express before she could latch on.

In terms of how you will go second time round, don't make any assumptions about it not working out at this stage. In my non medical opinion success at breastfeeding is a combination of the baby and mother. I know three women with thyroid issues who struggled to breastfeed, so I think there is a link there. It also depends on how well your baby latches on and how well they feed.

ETA for what it's worth, when my oldest was 6 weeks old, he still hadn't gotten back to his birthweight, was showing signs of dehydration and he reacted to formula - it made him scream for hours. I was ready to chuck it all in. Somehow I was able to comp until he was around one then I ditched the formula. I kept on breastfeeding him well into my second pregnancy. When I was pregnant with number 2 I made the decision to see how breastfeeding went but use formula exclusively if it didn't work out. I didn't want to go down the comping route again. Somehow everything clicked into place after that and I had no issues feeding my three girls.
    Last edited by SSecret Squirrel; 23-04-2017 at 12:20.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Every breastfeeding experience is different my first bub I only fed for 9 weeks as my milk dried up, my second bub had a terrible time feeding but kept it up for 12 months and my last bub is 18months and we have had the perfect feeding experience no troubles at all and still going strong

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbletrouble View Post
    Did your first bub have ties too @Mamasupial ? My DD latched perfectly from day 1, but my milk just never seemed to come in properly. I know it's not necessarily an indication of what bub can get from the breast, but even pumping for close to an hour I could get barely 30ml from both on a good day.
    My first has ties that went undiagnosed.

My second appeared to have a good latch according to the lactation consultants I saw but when I saw the IBCLC she really opened my eyes to the fact that it wasn't good at all.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Low supply first time around, likely to happen again with second baby?

With my first, I was waiting for my milk to come in and midwives got me to pump in hospital. This showed I did actually have milk, just not enough. We had weight gain issues, and DD was topped up with formula. I continued to mix feed until she self weaned at 11 months. Like you, I was on motilium and tried every natural thing I could come up with, but they didn't increase my supply enough.

In my second pregnancy, I asked my ob if it was likely to happen again. She said you tend to have more milk in subsequent pregnancies, but that I'd probably still need motillium.

Once bub was born, I put him on the boob to try to get my milk on and increase it. By day 4, he'd lost more weight than his initial weight gain, so i decided to start tipping him up with formula. I definitely have more milk this time, but I still don't have enough for him. I have enough milk during the night but he needs top ups during the day

With my first, the whole thing completely stressed me out and made me miserable. This time I expected it and am in a much better frame of mind
    Last edited by Lil Smurfy; 23-04-2017 at 14:00.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Lil Smurfy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I struggled a lot to breast feed my first, I only lasted 12 or 13 weeks and it was the most stressful 3 months of my life! The second time, DS was a much better feeder and he really encouraged my supply. I was engorged by day 3 and had a strong let-down which was all completely the opposite to my first time around. DS still had some weight gain issues and intolerances which meant that I eventually put him on hydrolyzed formula at around 5 mo. But I was able to exclusively BF him until about 15 weeks which was massive for me.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

bubbletrouble  (23-04-2017),Lil Smurfy  (23-04-2017),Mamasupial  (25-04-2017)