+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Why did you move to Australia

As the title states, I would love to hear about why you moved here.

AFM, I moved from NZ when I was 18 (in 2005).

Didn't like my home town (small country town near Chch), and decided a needed something new.

Didn't know a single person in Australia, and moved to Brisbane.

Haven't regretted it for even a moment!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanabananah For This Useful Post:

Phony  (22-04-2017),Yogis Mumma  (22-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Great idea for a thread. My family moved from South Africa to Australia in the early 80s, I was less than a year old. They moved because as non-white we were subject to the discrimination of Apartheid and they wanted a better life with easier access to education, healthcare etc. My siblings were born here.

We migrated to Brisbane as my Dad had managed to secure a position here. I really appreciate the sacrifice they made leaving their friends and family and everything that was familiar to them and starting a new life here. Mum says when they first move to Brisbane it was like a country town and everything closed at 5, she was used to the hustle and bustle of Johannesburg so it was really hard to adjust. I'm so glad they moved though, I love Brisbane, wouldn't live anywhere else.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (22-04-2017),Phony  (22-04-2017),PomPoms  (23-04-2017),Yogis Mumma  (22-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm the accidental immigrant.

DH and I rekindled the flames online after a 6 yr break and after he came home to Ireland (to see if the spark was still there) I decided eff this, I'm going over to see if things work out.
    10 yrs and three kids later I'm still here.
    But I yearn for home, I really do.
    I'd go in a heart beat and that's not to take anything away from this magnificent country,.
    (seriously, we just spent a week in Mollymook OMG! - heaven on earth) I just feel I don't want to move into old age here. I feel if I leave it any longer than 3-5 yrs then my kids will be totally immersed in life here that I will then be only staying for them.
    Belonging to neither country.

Not only that.
    I want my family, sister brothers, nieces and nephews all around me.
    I have a beautifully rich family life at home, we all get on, there's no issues, we're very supportive of each other and I feel I'm denying my kids THE most valuable experiences in life, growing up with a family and people they love all around them.,
    This will cause WW3at home.
    Family life here is really good, we are happy it's hard to remember I want to move home most of the time.
    At points in life here I have almost walked away but I'm a rational person, almost too the point that I will put anyone else before myself.
    Ten yrs is a long time though.
    Not sure how much longer I can hold out, it's why I'm going for my citizenship
    It would be silly to leave without it.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phony For This Useful Post:

Charlie74  (23-04-2017),yadot  (22-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I came here for a holiday with my aunt (she lived here already).
    Met my now husband and his two kids (then 26 months and 4 months), went back and forth a few times and moved here in 2012

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mama Mirabelle View Post
    Great idea for a thread. My family moved from South Africa to Australia in the early 80s, I was less than a year old. They moved because as non-white we were subject to the discrimination of Apartheid and they wanted a better life with easier access to education, healthcare etc. My siblings were born here.

We migrated to Brisbane as my Dad had managed to secure a position here. I really appreciate the sacrifice they made leaving their friends and family and everything that was familiar to them and starting a new life here. Mum says when they first move to Brisbane it was like a country town and everything closed at 5, she was used to the hustle and bustle of Johannesburg so it was really hard to adjust. I'm so glad they moved though, I love Brisbane, wouldn't live anywhere else.
    I never knew you were from South Africa @Mama Mirabelle
    I was born here but my DH is South African (from Cape Town) and moved here in 2006 when he was 31. It was very different there when he grew up (he's 42). He grew up during apartheid and was conscripted into the army at age 18 (during apartheid they had compulsory national service for all white men when they completed high school).
    He first left SA in 1999 and went to the U.K. for a year and went back to South Africa from 2000-2004. He left SA because he couldn't handle the extreme poverty contrasted with obscene wealth and felt there were more opportunities for him to get ahead and have a better life.
    He hated living in the U.K. so his goal was to move to Australia. He stayed in the U.K. for 2 years from 2004-2006 got his skilled migration visa then moved here with his girlfriend at the time.
    DH loves it here for many reasons - opportunities, weather, safe etc. He chose Adelaide to live as it's similar to Cape Town in some ways (weather and geography) so it reminds him of home. There are some things he doesn't like here and he still misses Cape Town. While Adelaide is home Cape Town is still home too, definitely his spiritual home. We've been back twice in the last 5 years and planning a trip with dd in two years so she can see where her daddy is from. I love it there too, it's amazingly beautiful and Southern Africa in general is a very special place. I can't see us ever moving back but frequent visits will always be on the cards

9. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Mama Mirabelle  (22-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I've actually never mentioned it on the hub before, I'm usually quite vague as I try to keep some anonymity but I threw caution to the wind today

I haven't been back to SA in ages, well over a decade. To be honest I'm not sure if I'll ever take my children there. The crime scares me. My relatives are mostly in Johannesburg and small towns in the north and the level of crime is really obscene. Cape Town is beautiful though and I feel like it's a nicer/ safer place to visit. But I could never get away with going back and not visiting my relatives, they would be so offended so for now it's not on the cards for us.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (22-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mama Mirabelle View Post
    I've actually never mentioned it on the hub before, I'm usually quite vague as I try to keep some anonymity but I threw caution to the wind today

I haven't been back to SA in ages, well over a decade. To be honest I'm not sure if I'll ever take my children there. The crime scares me. My relatives are mostly in Johannesburg and small towns in the north and the level of crime is really obscene. Cape Town is beautiful though and I feel like it's a nicer/ safer place to visit. But I could never get away with going back and not visiting my relatives, they would be so offended so for now it's not on the cards for us.
    you should visit, I feel nostalgic everything I go, my relatives are now Joburg and Pretoria. Cape town is actually still very racist, been once in 2011 never again.

As for me, my parents got scholarship to study here and never returned. I joined them when I was 16 and getting into a lot of trouble, alcohol etc and non of my relatives would take me in.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hers&Hers For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (22-04-2017),Mama Mirabelle  (22-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I have relatives in Pretoria too It's always in the back of my mind that I'd love to go back, I spent a great deal of my childhood over there and I have the best memories, but then I speak to someone whose just been mugged, had their house broken into, been carjacked etc and it freaks me out.

Also DH is not from SA and he's not wild about me taking our children over there. I don't blame him, every time we visit my mum she's got news form home and it's like 'this person was held up at gunpoint, this person's house was broken into, this person got killed' etc. Doesn't exactly make you want to hop on a plane.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Oh and I've been to Cape Town twice and I loved it! Reminded me a lot of Australia, very laid back and the scenery is amazing. I especially loved Robben Island, seeing it for myself and hearing all the history. I'd go back in a heartbeat if none of my relatives would find out.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    We moved here from the east coast of the U.S when I was 12. We were relocated with my dad's job and it was to be for 3 years. However whilst here he was offered a position to stay and he accepted it.

Initially I hated it. I was from a place where the streets had large front yards, no fences and the all the neighborhood kids would play in each other's yards. Here everything was fenced and it just seemed different. I was also teased so badly at school and couldn't wait to go "home"

However I soon made friends and was happy when I found out we were staying. I have been back many times and whilst I always enjoy going over there, America doesn't feel like home to me.