+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Fish tank

So DS (3) is obsessed with fish at the moment - he loves the show Tanked on Animal Planet and is always building his 'tank' and taking care of his 'fish'

So we were thinking of getting a small (like yep small!) fish tank for a couple of fish. Something that really isn't gonna need a lot of work because without a doubt I'll be the one doing everything for it.

So I'm wondering do any of your ladies have a little fish tank that is mainly for your kids? How can I make sure I'm looking at something that is super low maintenance etc. does anyone know what kind of fish would be best? I really don't like goldfish so if we can avoid that that would be great lol.
    Any idea of what I'm in for would be great. I'm not much of a fish person, I really couldn't care for fish but I know ds would love it.

Thanks x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I know you said you dont like Goldfish but they are the easiest to look after, and the most low maintenance. Warm water fish are too much work and if the power goes off they are cactus. It is better to get a small tank with a filter. You can get tiny cold water fish but they are pretty boring looking. At least if you got a couple of orange comets, and if they dropped dead, they are easy to replace without trying to have a "why the goldfish died" conversation with a 3 year old.
    I have a 3 year old and he tries to take the fish OUT of the water whenever possible. Bear that in mind. It is better to have them in a glass tank that the kids cant lift up, with a lid! And high enough so they can see them without cuddling them!

Goodluck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rachel3072 For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (22-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the reply! Yeah that's what I was worried about.. I really don't like goldfish so would want to avoid them if possible.
    The whole gold fish died conversation wouldn't be a great one to have so that is a good point lol.

Oh I was slightly worried about that but ds doesn't even like cuddling the dogs and cat lol so hopefully he wouldn't want to lol. We would definitely need a lid. We have an indoor cat and I can imagine she is going to be fascinated lol
    Thanks for the tips

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hasselhoff For This Useful Post:

Rachel3072  (22-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Siamese fighting fish. One fish, tiny tank, hardy as all get out (they live in puddles in the natural environment!), and just require a heater in winter...whole set up including fish you can do easily for $60 (you can spend more...depending on how fancy you go with the fish and tank), and it takes about 5 minutes to clean the tank.
    Plus, they only have a lifespan of 3 years...unlike goldfish that can live for 20.