+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Religion and Vaccinations.

I had someone in my fb complain about the halal logo on Vegemite yet they didn't seem to know there was a kosher symbol directly underneath as well

IMG_1492862796.978794.jpg

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (23-04-2017),gingermillie  (23-04-2017),Mama Mirabelle  (23-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Phony View Post
    Ooh, delighted you work in the field.
    What do you think of this page?
    Legit?
    I stumbled across it earlier while looking up some info.

http://www.vaccinationcouncil.org/about/
    Had a brief look...I generally can't be bothered with those sort of pages... I'll stick with the multitude of science in favour. Looking back in history is quite enough for me. Vaccination is not perfect, no medication is..there are risks and always will be, but they are very small. Do the benefits outweigh the risks? Absolutely...history show us that.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

Mama Mirabelle  (23-04-2017),Phony  (23-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I grew up in a fringe christian group I don't even know how to categorise it. It's vaguely related to 7th day adventist, but quite different.

I was never vaccinated during my childhood. I think my parents were motivated by religious reasons, but they weren't exactly anti-vax because my older siblings were all fully vaccinated. I was also not taken to the doctor when I had childhood illnesses. I think the faith and reasoning behind my parents' decision is a bit complicated but could be basically summed up as a combination of: God's in charge and you should have faith that God will take care of your child and protect them AND science/medicine is an arrogant attempt to play God.

My siblings and their peers in that religion have some vaccinated their children and others not vaccinated. This religion adheres to food laws, and from memory I think my sister did not vaccinate because the vaccinations are 'unclean', that is, some contain animal products or derivatives that are the bible says in the old testament should not be eaten or touched. There are probably other religious factors that motivated her decision, but it's been a long time since we've had any discussion about it.

I got totally caught up on vaccinations after one of our friend's children got severely sick and we were visiting them in the children's hospital. I didn't want to be a threat to others' health in the future. But that was a decision I made when I was no longer religious.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OSmum2017 For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (23-04-2017),Phony  (23-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post
    It is Church of Christ, Scientist. And it is no longer a permitted exemption.
    This. Lots of anti-vaxxers tried to join this church to get the exemption, but a couple of years ago, the church confirmed that they do not object to vaccinations so the exemption was scrapped.

In other words, there are no genuine religions currently that object to vaccinations.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

Phony  (23-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaybaby View Post
    Had a brief look...I generally can't be bothered with those sort of pages... I'll stick with the multitude of science in favour. Looking back in history is quite enough for me. Vaccination is not perfect, no medication is..there are risks and always will be, but they are very small. Do the benefits outweigh the risks? Absolutely...history show us that.
    I wasn't either, I just found it completely whacky.
    In particular the religious section as that's what came up first when I was searching for info.