+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 4 month old - eating habits

Hi Guys,

So my Bubbi is 4 months and 2 weeks old.
    Ever since 3 and half month old he hasn't been eating his recommended intake of breast milk or formula ( whichever one I give to him as I'm both pumping and toping up with formula)
    Some days he eats 200-250 in one session but then the rest of the day he will eat 100 here then 50 there and so on. All up he eats between 650-950 ml in a 24 hour period.
    My paediatrician said he should be eating 200 ml every 4 hours but my Bubbi just doesn't.
    I don't want to force him to eat but I want him to grow too.
    So far his check ups have been good, last check up he was only under weight by a milli centremetre so the Dr wasn't concerned or worried, but I want to make sure by his 6 month check up his gaining weight sufficiently and also growing taller

Please let me know your thoughts and also if you have been through anything like this and if so, what did you do that helped

I know every baby is different but trial and error is the way to learn

Thanks for taking the time to red my post

Thanks
    Reviews
    Every baby is different. A friend of mine, both her daughters have been underweight on the blue book scale but both her and her husband are petite. There's certainly nothing wrong with them, both growing well just taking after their parents!

From 4 months you can start introducing solids. I started both my kids at that stage, dd not interested in food really but ds is in ❤️ with food lol it may help with the addition of the milk?

I was told at my sons last check up that 750ml he was getting in a 24hr period was too much! I guess different doctors different advice.

Anyway, I don't see anything wrong. Your baby will tell you if he is hungry and clearly he is fine!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mona424 For This Useful Post:

cbeg  (22-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 4 month old - eating habits

My DD has been 'off' her milk since about 6-8wks old. She's now four mths and today has just drank 350 on a good day she never drinks more than 500mls....BUT she has maintained her percentile (just over 50th) for both length and weight and the paediatrician only yesterday told us not to worry. I will admit I'm struggling not to when she'll just drink 40mls in the morning after sleeping all night but when she is hungry she drinks. This is a complete contrast to DD1 who drank the same kind of amounts regularly, DD2 varies between 40mls-150mls per feed, anywhere between 3-6 hrs apart (excluding night time).
    Our paediatrician actually told me not to worry too much about what the child health nurse said as she caused me a great deal of anxiety saying DD2 should be drinking 200mls per feed every 3-4 hrs......as long as they're tracking ok with length and weight try not to concentrate too much on the quantity. It's very hard I know and I did struggle today but you can't force a baby to eat and they will eat when they're hungry. Hope this helps you to relax a little bit

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Molros For This Useful Post:

cbeg  (22-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My baby is the same age as yours. She never drinks the same amount in each sitting. Sometimes she'll have 120mls, sometimes 200mls and anything in between. It's the amount in 24hrs that matters, not the amount at each feed.

We feed formula only and I know the calculation for the daily amount is 120mls for each kg of body weight (the calculation for breastmilk may be slightly different, I'm not sure sorry) So, my bub is about 6kgs now. 120 x 6 = 720. Some days she'll have 900, some days she'll only have 700. I feed her when she's hungry, not on a time schedule. Sometimes she'll want food 3 hourly, sometimes 4 hourly. I found if I tried to feed her on a schedule I made up she would often be not hungry enough and only drink a little bit at that feed. If I wait for her hungry cues, she will drink more.

She's a little bub but I'm petite too. She's growing well and putting on the correct amount of weight.

If he's putting on weight and growing normally then I wouldn't worry about an exact number he should be eating. All babies are different.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to HillDweller For This Useful Post:

cbeg  (22-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so so so so much guys.
    This has calmed me down a lot.

My build is petite as well, and my mother in law said that my husband was small and petite when he was a baby as well and she couldn't get him to eat either, so he could be taking up those genes from us - Mona424, as you mentioned
    and HillDweller

I have started rice cereal last week and you should see his face, I shouldn't laugh but it's the cutest face ever - like I'm feeding him lemons
    I try every day around same time, lunch time to give him rice cereal, I guess it will take time and his never had it before so it's a learning skill for him.

Thanks again guys!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cbeg For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (22-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    In my experience with poor growth, my eldest didn't increase more with formula or early solids. My second hasn't increased more since solids (started at 6m this time) either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    As long as Bub isn't plummeting down the growth chart or losing weight, try not to stress.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

cbeg  (22-04-2017)