ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think it largely depends on your house/yard layout, and your area.

I have done something similar, but it was mostly to rush in to eg go to the toilet, put cold groceries in the fridge, etc, then go back to within eyesight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've done it. Both ds falling asleep in the car I've locked the garage door and left the internal open which leads to the kitchen and i can easily here a bub stir if they wake up. Obviously I leave the windows right down

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I used to do this with my Ds, also a crappy sleeper. I had the ability to drive through to the backyard and park right next to the back steps which led into the kitchen. I could see and hear him easily. I would make a cuppa and sit at the table where I could see/hear him and let him finish his nap. Unfortunately during summer I had to just keep driving but during the cooler weather I often did.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to HeavenBlue For This Useful Post:

rosey82  (21-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    I'm confused about the carport, are any of the sides accessible from the front yard? Or does the door completely enclose it? I used to leave my daughter asleep in the car in the garage in winter, I would leave the car door open, close the garage door, and leave the door between the house and garage open. Our garage opened into the lounge room where I would sit so I could hear her when she woke, so I was completely comfortable with it. But I wouldn't do it in summer and wouldn't do it if there was any way someone could access the garage.
    Yes the sides are open and accessible from the garden. That's why we stayed on the front lawn with a clear view of him and the driveway!
    It's also the reason I wasn't comfortable going inside, just in case.
    If it was an enclosed garage with no outside access I would be happy to leave him sleeping within earshot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Leaving my sleeping child in the car was a perk of the house we live in.
    The car pulls under the car port and right up to the kitchen window.
    I could see her at all times and often as soon as she began to stir I was there to pick her up before she even knew what was going on.
    Obviously if it was later in the day and hot I wouldn't do it, but on the mornings where we were out doing the drop offs she would always, always, always have a nap on the way home. She was such a bad sleeper that I took advantage of the time to get breakfast and a cuppa.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Phony For This Useful Post:

rosey82  (21-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd do the same thing you did. As for going inside, in the situation you describe I wouldnt feel comfortable. Our carport is behind a roller door, so sealed off from the front - I have done that and gone inside and come out periodically to check.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Where we used to live I did tgis often with dd i had all windows open and went inside with the roller door down.
    Where we live now I wouldnt go inside but stay in the front yard.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rosey82 View Post
    Ok this is probably going to polarise opinions, but I'm genuinely interested. Yesterday DS fell asleep in the car on the way home from the shops. It was a 10 min trip so I left him sleeping with the window down, in the carport with the carport door down, locked in the car. DD and I stayed outside and ate a biscuit, had a play on the front lawn - 2m from the car. It was about 22 degrees and he was in the shade. Obviously not ok on a hot day.
    Do you think this is acceptable? With DD I just would have transferred her to her room (she can still be carried in asleep at 3 lol!), but DS is such a crappy sleeper he will not transfer and quite frankly I want to maximise any nap time he has.
    Would it be ok to go inside - leaving the door open and staying at the front of the house so I could hear him if he cried?
    I know there are horror stories about cars being stolen with babies inside, but really how likely in a closed carport with the car doors locked? Quiet suburban street.
    Opinions? Please don't be nasty!
    I think what you've said is fine.

Not exactly the same but.. When my 2.5 yr old falls asleep in the car- I pull into the garage, turn engine off, leave the door open into the house (it's direct access), and just make sure I don't turn tv on so I can hear him in the garage. If other kids are home we play quietly close to the garage access door.

It's actually been a life saver. He's a great car sleeper. I can get some stuff done while he's sleeping in the car and hear him at all times/ keep checking.

When it gets hot I don't do it but it has to get really hot for our garage to heat up so and we live in a pretty cold part of Vic. I'm talking 60% of the year it's cold!