ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Baby sleeping in car

Ok this is probably going to polarise opinions, but I'm genuinely interested. Yesterday DS fell asleep in the car on the way home from the shops. It was a 10 min trip so I left him sleeping with the window down, in the carport with the carport door down, locked in the car. DD and I stayed outside and ate a biscuit, had a play on the front lawn - 2m from the car. It was about 22 degrees and he was in the shade. Obviously not ok on a hot day.
    Do you think this is acceptable? With DD I just would have transferred her to her room (she can still be carried in asleep at 3 lol!), but DS is such a crappy sleeper he will not transfer and quite frankly I want to maximise any nap time he has.
    Would it be ok to go inside - leaving the door open and staying at the front of the house so I could hear him if he cried?
    I know there are horror stories about cars being stolen with babies inside, but really how likely in a closed carport with the car doors locked? Quiet suburban street.
    Opinions? Please don't be nasty!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I did it back when my 2 where little. I used to sit outside a read if it was # 1. But with # 2 we just played quietly outside until she woke up. As long as it's not a hot day it's fine imo

3. The Following User Says Thank You to granny1 For This Useful Post:

rosey82  (21-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Its fine
    My 3 year old often falls asleep in the car and we leave him. The window is open and we are close by and can see and hear him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Standing next to the car maybe, going inside... no way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    In clear view the whole time with window open yes, out of view having gone inside, not a chance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yup I'd do that. I have a garage and would leave Dd asleep in the car often. It was cool, she wasn't going anywhere, the garage was closer to the lounge than her cot so I saw no problem with it at all.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

Happymum2  (21-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm confused about the carport, are any of the sides accessible from the front yard? Or does the door completely enclose it? I used to leave my daughter asleep in the car in the garage in winter, I would leave the car door open, close the garage door, and leave the door between the house and garage open. Our garage opened into the lounge room where I would sit so I could hear her when she woke, so I was completely comfortable with it. But I wouldn't do it in summer and wouldn't do it if there was any way someone could access the garage.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rosey82 View Post
    Ok this is probably going to polarise opinions, but I'm genuinely interested. Yesterday DS fell asleep in the car on the way home from the shops. It was a 10 min trip so I left him sleeping with the window down, in the carport with the carport door down, locked in the car. DD and I stayed outside and ate a biscuit, had a play on the front lawn - 2m from the car. It was about 22 degrees and he was in the shade. Obviously not ok on a hot day.
    Do you think this is acceptable? With DD I just would have transferred her to her room (she can still be carried in asleep at 3 lol!), but DS is such a crappy sleeper he will not transfer and quite frankly I want to maximise any nap time he has.
    Would it be ok to go inside - leaving the door open and staying at the front of the house so I could hear him if he cried?
    I know there are horror stories about cars being stolen with babies inside, but really how likely in a closed carport with the car doors locked? Quiet suburban street.
    Opinions? Please don't be nasty!
    I used to leave a baby monitor in the car next to my incredibly crappy sleeper and sit inside and watch tv until he woke up. Same situation, in the enclosed carport. Really it is no different to being in any other room in the house. Wouldnt do it in an open carport or in the street or as you said, on a hot day. I used to drive for miles on hot days with the aircon going full blast JUST so my crappy sleeper would keep sleeping. It is so stressful having a crappy sleeper that the minute you move them, even if they only had 5 minutes sleep, it meant sleeping was over for the day. We do what we need to to survive!!! Eventually they do sleep and when they are teenagers, you'll be trying to wake them up... oh the irony.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rachel3072 For This Useful Post:

rosey82  (21-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to do this when the kids were little. I'd go inside and do housework/make lunch/have a cuppa and just check on the them regularly.

We do live on 200 acres though, so no people walking past.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't leave my kids in the car with it off - even with the window down in the shade. It can get so warm so quickly!

I do regularly leave my son sleeping in the car with the air con on, air on re-circ so it's not taking in exhaust fumes. I only do it in my parents' carport or in our driveway with the gates closed. Wouldn't do it in an enclosed space just in case. I also go inside, but check on him every few minutes until he wakes up.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

rosey82  (21-04-2017)