+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Cat smells funny

@amyd, maybe you or somebody can give me an idea if this is worrisome? We've been away for a few weeks and had a catsitter popping in to see our two cats once a day, not ideal but all we could find as we moved just before we went away and our normal sitter who lived below us couldn't do it.

Anyways...since we've returned I've noticed our litter box smells really bad, like it hasn't been cleaned for ages even though there's clean litter in it. I have never known it to continue smelling like that once the litter has been changed so I thought maybe the sitter let it get too dirty and it's almost like the box is now 'stained.' But...one of my cats just came up and rubbed against me and I've noticed she has the same ammonia like smell on her body which I've never noticed before. She otherwise seems well within herself currently but is prone to UTIs. Is the smell a sign something is wrong or possibly just 'sticking' on her from the litter box?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm totally not a vet but our friends cat gets so anxious when she goes away that he helps a his urine, then gets a Uti and then kidney infection and then dribbles urine... could it be that?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ElizaDoLittle View Post
    I'm totally not a vet but our friends cat gets so anxious when she goes away that he helps a his urine, then gets a Uti and then kidney infection and then dribbles urine... could it be that?
    She does gets quite anxious and gets UTIs as a result and is moving house and then going away would do that but she seems to be passing urine fine and not in pain, normally she's very obvious when she has a UTIs, in and out of the litter box with nothing happening, sometimes passes blood, lots of meowing like she's in pain. She's meowing a bit but it's more of an excited we're home meow I think. I think an ammonia smell can be kidney issues but because we've been away and the actual litter box smells funny I'm confused if it's her or the litter was just allowed to get too gross. Will definitely pay more attention to how she's weeing though.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

ElizaDoLittle  (25-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    She may be dehydrate too. If she's eating ok I'd feed nothing but tinned food for a couple of days, the increased water will flush her out.

And give the litter tray a good clean and soak.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    She may be dehydrate too. If she's eating ok I'd feed nothing but tinned food for a couple of days, the increased water will flush her out.

And give the litter tray a good clean and soak.
    Great thanks! Will do that and the litter box (or just buy a new one!) and hopefully the smell is gone by next week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    So, I just sniffed our other cat (yes, I just said that), and she doesn't smell. So can I assume the litter box smell is actually being caused by something being wrong with her rather than her fur absorbing the litter box smell? She has long hair and the cat that doesn't smell has short so maybe she's more likely to have the smell stick?.

I'll stick to the plan of making sure she's hydrated and cleaning the box but I hope nothing is actually wrong!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hope it's nothing major. I know one time when we went away, my male long haired cat stunk when we got home. But that was because our house sitter, who we knew and trusted, used our place as a party pad and didn't take good care of my animals at all. I was furious when we got home. We were gone a month, and in that time his fur was matted, he stunk of urine and was just miserable. Our other cat fared better, but only just (shorter haired and spent more time outside). We came home to a filthy house, cat tray that hadn't been changed for days, bin full of empty alcohol bottles, rotten food in the fridge and neglected animals. When confronted, she didn't even say sorry. Turns out she'd only been sleeping there 1-2 a week and having parties all the time. It took me hours to cut and brush out all the matted patches of fur, and him another week of constant grooming before he smelt normal again. And 2 days airing out the house.

Hopefully he just missed you and was a little lax in his grooming habits.

Thanks
    Reviews
    How is kitty OP?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ElizaDoLittle For This Useful Post:

Californication  (25-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ElizaDoLittle View Post
    How is kitty OP?
    She's good thanks! Smells much better . Think it must have been that the litter box got too dirty while we were away.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Californication  (Yesterday)