+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Changes to Citizenship Test.

My old thread about going for the citizenship test is a bit long winded to add this to it, so I'll just begin a new one.
    What do you think about the new changes?

Do I scrap all the info I've learnt for the test I thought I was going to do, will their be a new hand out?
    Dagnammit, I wanted to do it in July this year, I'm hoping I don't have to put it on the long finger again.

Does anyone have a breakdown of what's to be expected now?
    I can't seem to find anything online yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    All I've heard is changes will relate to religious freedom and gender equality.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Phony  (20-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Haven't they just announced the new test yesterday? I'd say it will be a little while before they roll it out. Maybe you should look into doing the test asap before they introduce the changes.

From what I've read I think the changes will mostly relate to 'values' for example questions about domestic violence, female genital mutilation etc. It seems pretty obvious they're trying to target certain religions and people from particular cultural backgrounds (to keep them out?) so I don't think you need to worry. I would think it would be easy to answer those types of questions correctly.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (20-04-2017),Phony  (20-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Seems a bit futile, wouldn't someone just lie under those circumstances?
    I mean, if you're the type of person who has no qualms about chopping off bits of children or regularly beating your wife, what's a little white lie, or the tick of a box?

I did hear of changes back in Jan/Feb this year so I think they might roll them out faster than expected.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phony For This Useful Post:

LaDiDah  (20-04-2017),Little Miss Sunshine  (20-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    My guess is the questions will be worded in such a way to catch people out. A lot of research exists in how to word questions in such a way to extract the desired response, it's why academic research has to be so thoroughly vetted and reviewed to prevent bias. So if they want to encourage people prone to domestic violence etc to choose specific answers which will expose their deeply held beliefs I'm sure they can manage that somehow.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Ahhh.
    Well hopefully it works out.
    Kind of reminds me of the postnatal depression check list after having a baby.
    I remember filling them out thinking, sheez, if I was in anyway depressed and afraid they might take my baby because I'm depressed, I'd just tick the happy faces all the way down.
    But I suppose that's a non-depressed person's view of it, maybe in the grips of depression you can't think like that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Phony View Post
    Seems a bit futile, wouldn't someone just lie under those circumstances?
    I mean, if you're the type of person who has no qualms about chopping off bits of children or regularly beating your wife, what's a little white lie, or the tick of a box?

I did hear of changes back in Jan/Feb this year so I think they might roll them out faster than expected.
    Agreed

It wouldn't take much brain power to just lie for those kinds of questions. Even if they make the effort to word them carefully to 'catch people out', surely there is only so far they can go - I can't imagine they are going to start psychologically profiling everybody that goes for citizenship, that it taking things a bit far.

I imagine the test might actually be easier now, if those kinds of 'common sense' questions replace some of the history type ones that were previously used?

I also heard talk of those changes a few months ago. My husband is still a couple of years off being able to apply for citizenship so I imagine it might change a few more times between now and then anyway.
    Last edited by ivyninja; 20-04-2017 at 09:17.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ivyninja For This Useful Post:

Phony  (20-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I would imagine the questions would be worded to give people a false sense of security to answer truthfully without realizing. It could be done quite easily especially if English is a second language. For example a multiple choice question might be "what is the best way to discipline your wife?" With answers such as lightly tapping her, a soft pinch, banning her from leaving the house for half a day or sternly telling her she has angered lyou. I think it could be easy to trip someone up with a question like that if they think inflicting pain or controlling their wife is in any way acceptable.

Or a question answer type question might be "what is the correct age to perform female circumcision on your daughter?" Any rational person would know the correct answer is never but if you practice that and have a false sense of security you might give yourself away.

Anyway I might be way off, I guess we'll find out soon enough. To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if the government started psychologically profiling Muslim and African candidates. It all seems like a huge effort to keep them out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mama Mirabelle View Post
    I would imagine the questions would be worded to give people a false sense of security to answer truthfully without realizing. It could be done quite easily especially if English is a second language. For example a multiple choice question might be "what is the best way to discipline your wife?" With answers such as lightly tapping her, a soft pinch, banning her from leaving the house for half a day or sternly telling her she has angered lyou. I think it could be easy to trip someone up with a question like that if they think inflicting pain or controlling their wife is in any way acceptable.

Or a question answer type question might be "what is the correct age to perform female circumcision on your daughter?" Any rational person would know the correct answer is never but if you practice that and have a false sense of security you might give yourself away.

Anyway I might be way off, I guess we'll find out soon enough. To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if the government started psychologically profiling Muslim and African candidates. It all seems like a huge effort to keep them out.
    Yep. Back to the white Australia policy
    IMG_1492657093.411760.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry I haven't read above replies, but will get around to it.. I just wanted to say, I heard on the radio (excellent source of factual news, I know...) that one of the questions will be something like "is it ok to hit your wife?" Or something like this.. wouldn't it be great if we can kick out all the people who hit their spouses in this country? I don't see how an immigrant is any more likely to do this than a 'true blue' Aussie bloke.. (or sheila!)