ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Winner 2016 BubHubs DIVA Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Are opinions more important than facts?

This article popped up in my social media and it got me thinking.

http://theconversation.com/facts-are...eres-why-76020

So in the context of online forums, social media and just generally I have a few questions:

1. Are facts more important than opinions?
    2. Who gets to decide which facts are in fact, facts? As opposed to alternative facts!
    3. Should all opinions be given air time and considered?
    4. Are there some opinions, on really serious subjects that don't deserve polite consideration and actually deserve to be torn to shreds?
    5. Is "I'm entitled to my opinion" a valid argument against fact?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Yes. Opinions are like @rseholes. Everyone has one, but facts are facts. You can't change facts, but you can change opinions.

2. Who gets to decide which facts are in fact, facts? As opposed to alternative facts!

Apparently the current US Govt. Yanno, Hitler wasn't that bad because he didn't use gas . Facts for me are things that have been corroborated and/or proven through replication or have been through peer review for scientific/medical etc things. Things like the Wakefield trial are not facts. They have been disproved. Many, many times over. The things David "Avocado" () Wolf puts on memes are usually rubbish and dangerous. Paleo Pete doesn't put out facts, he's a whacko telling people to go off medication!

Fact is Hitler did use gas. It's called the Holocaust. Fact is Sean Spicer is an idiot to not know that. Opinion is Donald Trump is the worst President, is unintelligent and scares the cr@p out of me.

Yes and no. See below. I'm happy to have people challenge my opinions and try to educate me if I am wrong, but I don't accept bigotry and hate speech has a place in this world.

4. Are there some opinions, on really serious subjects that don't deserve polite consideration and actually deserve to be torn to shreds?

Yes. I will never let someone say something homophobic, racist, sexist, etc without challenging them. They might be entitled to hold those opinions, but that doesn't make it right. I despise bigotry and won't let someone spew hate like that without pulling them up on it whether IRL or online.

No. Yes, of course people are entitled to their opinions, but facts are just that, facts.

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (20-04-2017),Little Miss Sunshine  (20-04-2017),Mod-DJ Nette  (20-04-2017),TheGooch  (19-04-2017),Wild Rose  (20-04-2017),Yogis Mumma  (20-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What she said!

I'm in bed and should be sleeping, but feel strongly on this subject. Thanks Californication for saying it all for me!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

Californication  (19-04-2017),TheGooch  (19-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

That was interesting, especially in this day and age where you can find a "fact" to back just about any opinion

I think it comes down to the topic, say discipline, I can say it's fact that time out works best and find a heap of research to back it, someone else can say it is actually detrimental and also find research to back it. Both have facts to back their stance, it comes down to your own perception and opinion.
    However, I read an article the other day, women saying it's ok for their husbands to hit them, it is a fact that domestic violence is never acceptable, and that is just fact no opinion can change that fact.

In this day and age I find this is where the problem lies people will quote as fact anything they read online, I could write an article stating chocolate is the key to weight loss, and say it was done at whatever university and people would generally not check it authenticity.

I believe all opinions are not given air time, for example international politics, main****** media will air main****** views.

I think all opinions deserve to be treated with the same respect, sometimes some people are uninformed, but I wouldn't say they should be torn to shreds.

No, in a discussion it isn't a valid argument, I'd say everyone is entitled to their opinion, it's just not a valid argument.

ETA- why did the word main ****** come up with all the ******?
    Last edited by sparklebug; 19-04-2017 at 22:22.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sparklebug For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (19-04-2017)

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    This reminds me of this talk by Simon Sinek...(it's the second video in the link)

https://unknowntoexpert.com/public-s...reat-ted-talk/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's too late to answer in detail!
    I'm a science person and research is often where our "facts" come from. Only trouble is science and research is ever evolving and what was a fact yesterday is not a fact today. Or a very slight change in variables changes the fact. So I think there it is not unreasonable to have an opinion on some facts, some things are not proven beyond a reasonable doubt....and some things may never be proven exclusively, and there are always going to be exceptions to the rule.
    I think all opinions are worthy of being heard and everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Are opinions more important than facts?

Nope, but what is fact?
    They change all the time.

Opinions have a place, online or one to one, but I don't need to know the personal opinions of newsreaders, just read the news.
    That's your job.

Both are useful and shouldn't be in competition with each other.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGooch View Post
    This article popped up in my social media and it got me thinking.

http://theconversation.com/facts-are...eres-why-76020

So in the context of online forums, social media and just generally I have a few questions:

1) yes. As a researcher it really bugs me when people use opinion to debate fact.
    2) facts are things that have been proven with evidence, research, review and (where applicable) replication. For example, climate change is fact. Vaccines causing autism is not a fact.
    3) opinions should be given air time when they are indeed opinions and they are not blatantly offensive. When they're being used to argue against fact, then no I don't think they deserve a lot of air time.
    4) yes
    5) no.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phony View Post
    Are opinions more important than facts?

Nope, but what is fact?
    They change all the time.

Opinions have a place, online or one to one, but I don't need to know the personal opinions of newsreaders, just read the news.
    That's your job.

Both are useful and shouldn't be in competition with each other.
    There are people who actually write the news that the newsreader reads...so somebody's opinion/point of view along the way somewhere that can skew facts.

Then there's actual facts that are presented to people and they still don't believe it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Of course, so everyone should use their brains when listening to the news and always have another source to cross check the important stuff, but I was thinking more along the lines of news readers getting above their stations, pulling faces or mocking someone in a piece they've just read.
    It's unprofessional.

Just the "facts" ma'am!