+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Teaching creationism in schools - opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by sparklebug View Post
    Wow! Mind blowing that people want this sort of curriculum for their children, in such an extreme case I would perhaps be inclined to agree that funds should be cut.
    As I said though my experience at a catholic school was nowhere near so full on, they were very open to discussion.
    DH's best friend is a born again Christian and a passionate denier of the theory of evolution and natural selection. He would be 100% on board with teaching creationism and in fact he won't want his son learning about evolution as he thinks it's a crock. So yes I can see how some parents would support this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Phony View Post
    I listened to this last month, I have the memory of a goldfish though so I will have to listen to it again to be able to write about it here.

Really easy listening as you potter about the house if anyone is interested.
    No visual needed, I just like to see the faces when talking if there's the option.

Or on podcast.
    http://podcasts.joerogan.net/podcasts/lawrence-krauss
    Awesome! Thank you! Will listen later today

3. The Following User Says Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

Phony  (22-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    What makes me angry is not they are extremely fundamentalist in essence. Each to their own. It's that these kids are, in 2017 not only being taught this rot (the Creationism part, not religion in general) but they continue to be funded!

What's your thoughts on this, just popped up on my news feed.
    Coincidence

http://www.michaelsmithnews.com/2017...ng-on-it-.html

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    Awesome! Thank you! Will listen later today
    I'm going to listen to it again,

Do you have a link that's easy to listen to, theoretical physics - lite?
    HAHA
    No science speak.
    I could grasp what he was saying in that very easily, but anything a bit more complex in language and I will switch off.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Phony View Post
    What's your thoughts on this, just popped up on my news feed.
    Coincidence

http://www.michaelsmithnews.com/2017...ng-on-it-.html
    Unbelievable. The world is flat, doesn't move, and is the centre of the universe I mean come on, we *know* all of that is untrue, we knew that like a century or more ago??

7. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Phony  (22-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    DH's best friend is a born again Christian and a passionate denier of the theory of evolution and natural selection. He would be 100% on board with teaching creationism and in fact he won't want his son learning about evolution as he thinks it's a crock. So yes I can see how some parents would support this.
    I know you are Jewish/Israeli background, is your DH religious? I'm interested how much the friend's extreme religious beliefs impact on the friendship? Or do they not?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm genuinely surprised, irl I do not know anyone who denies the theory of evolution- or at least anyone who voices their opinion about it.

We all believe different things, and I would never suggest someone's beliefs to be insignificant, but I would have a problem with people not wanting children to be taught an academic subject because of their beliefs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know you are Jewish/Israeli background, is your DH religious? I'm interested how much the friend's extreme religious beliefs impact on the friendship? Or do they not?
    Yes we are Jewish from an ethnic perspective but DH and I are both atheists. He is also a very argumentative person and loves debating people the sake of stimulating intellectual discussion, so he is more than happy to spend hours trying to convince his best friend that evolution is not just an iffy hypothesis. It gets very tiring watching them argue.. I usually have to leave the room because they go around in circles, each one so devout in their views.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh they are not only aware they fully 100% support it. This is the Brethren group. They have come out in the last decade, but they are still totally Old Testament, speaking in tongues, evangelising on street corners types.

What makes me angry is not they are extremely fundamentalist in essence. Each to their own. It's that these kids are, in 2017 not only being taught this rot (the Creationism part, not religion in general) but they continue to be funded!
    Those guys are freaks though.

Everything they do is tantamount to child abuse imo.

Don't classify that as religion - that's a cult.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

delirium  (22-04-2017),Phony  (22-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My opinion is that there should be no RE in state schools, not even opt in. If parents want their kids to get RE they can select a religious school or take their kid to Sunday school.

I remember having a debate with my grade six teacher in which I asked awkward questions about the garden of Eden story- like why didn't Adam and Eve get eaten by raptors? If they were around before people were around then they must have been sharing with the dinosaurs... what did they do during the ice age? How could all of humanity have come from Adam and Eve when they just as two sons and one of them killed the other one? I was made to sit outside as punishment for asking inappropriate questions.
    RE was a rather poor fit for me as a child lol.