+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    For me, when I've referred to 'creationism' in this thread I'm talking about my Islamic beliefs in the idea of creation which is different to the Christian story of Genesis. And it is the version of creationism taught in private Islamic schools.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    for me, I see creationism as belief in a creator (God). The HOW he created - that could be varied beliefs IMO, & still be creationism. So some people will believe in a literal genesis account, whilst others will believe God used evolution, natural selection, etc, & genesis is more figurative than literal.
    I agree with this.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

misho  (21-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by misho View Post
    3 crazy kids atm so will write the short version.

I believe, and the nun believes, it's not literal.

The creation story was set of thousands/millions of years. So yes, God created the sun, the world, the dinosaurs, then how ever Millenia in the future, he decided to make mankind. That may be in the form of 'lucy' australiopithecus afarensis, Neanderthal man or homo sapien - personally there is too much evidence to suggest that evolution did occur, so I'm ok with the thought that we have evolved from some prehistoric version of man. But that doesn't mean I don't believe that God was behind it all.

I think some non-Catholics have this idea that we take everything as gospel (no pun intended).

I certainly don't, and the majority of people I know don't.

Ps please be kind - I'm not trying to evangelise and those of you who are agnostics or atheist be respectful of what I've written - you don't have to believe it, just be kind.
    See this what my parent believes. He calls it religious evolution and while I don't share that belief it's plausible. But that's not Creationism to me. Creationism is not plausible and certainly not factually correct.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (21-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    This is the Oxford dictionary definition: creationism

NOUN

mass noun
    • 1The belief that the universe and living organisms originate from specific acts of divine creation, as in the biblical account, rather than by natural processes such as evolution.

Example sentences

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mama Mirabelle View Post
    For me, when I've referred to 'creationism' in this thread I'm talking about my Islamic beliefs in the idea of creation which is different to the Christian story of Genesis. And it is the version of creationism taught in private Islamic schools.
    What do you believe? Genuine respectful question.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't think Creationism, in the literal sense that Delirium is speaking of, has any place in school. It completely ignores science and I don't believe students would be able to truly learn about science alongside creationism.

I'm somewhat okay with what Misho has explained in religious schools, in that it is taught as a belief and critical thinking is encouraged.

I don't think scripture classes have a place in public schools at all. I would much rather ethics classes or, once children are old enough to better understand, a religion class that explains all religions in an unbiased manner.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger

Default Teaching creationism in schools - opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by misho View Post
    What do you believe? Genuine respectful question.
    Basically my beliefs are very similar to what cheeeeesecake posted earlier. I believe in a creator (God or whatever name someone might use) who created the entire universe. The method of creation can be subjective to different people though I personally believe in the scientific explanation i.e. evolution.

I don't think it's necessary to subscribe to a literal translation of what is described in the Bible or Qu'ran etc to still have faith that however humankind came to exist it was facilitated by a creator.

As for the specific Islamic idea of creation it's very similar to the Christian story but there are a few differences. To be honest I'd rather not go into detail but it's easy to find out more on Google if you're interested. For me I don't find it necessary to literally accept that Adam and Eve were sent down as the FIRST humans though I do believe that they did exist.

Sorry I'm not doing a very good job of explaining myself but I think a part of having faith in God is being ok with the idea that we can't know or understand everything. I accept the scientific idea of evolution but believe that none of it could have happened without the existence of God and that works for me though I understand other people will see things differently.
    Last edited by Mama Mirabelle; 21-04-2017 at 18:28.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (21-04-2017),HollyGolightly81  (21-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Basically my beliefs are very similar to what cheeeeesecake posted earlier. I believe in a creator (God or whatever name someone might use) who created the entire universe. The method of creation can be subjective to different people though I personally believe in the scientific explanation i.e. evolution.

I don't think it's necessary to subscribe to a literal translation of what is described in the Bible or Qu'ran etc to still have faith that however humankind came to exist it was facilitated by a creator.

As for the specific Islamic idea of creation it's very similar to the Christian story but there are a few differences. To be honest I'd rather not go into detail but it's easy to find out more on Google if you're interested. For me I don't find it necessary to literally accept that Adam and Eve were sent down as the FIRST humans though I do believe that they did exist.

Sorry I'm not doing a very good job of explaining myself but I think a part of having faith in God is being ok with the idea that we can't know or understand everything. I accept the scientific idea of evolution but believe that none of it could have happened without the existence of God and that works for me though I understand other people will see things differently.
    I think you've done a fab job at explaining it. I always struggle to express what exactly I believe as an adult. I grew up believing in god and now I kinda do but don't. If that makes sense...for myself I believe in him but I accept that I could be wrong and other religions right or that there could be nothing. How you explained how you believe in creation sums up my thoughts well.

As far as creationism taught in school, would there be many schools nowadays that teach only creationism and teach it as fact? In my experience most religious/private schools teach it the way myself and others have described, along side science and allowing children to question if and how they can co-exist together, which I think is fine for a private school to do if it has properly disclosed it's methods and subjects of teaching. I actually have a Christian friend that is a science teacher in a public school, he loves science and God and I know was trying to write a book on how the two can coexist together, how evolution could happen with a God, etc. I should check in to see if he's still working on it and get his opinion on how he reconciles the two.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (21-04-2017),Mama Mirabelle  (21-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Thanks Holly.

I would think that in Australia most schools would have to teach evolution as I'm pretty sure it's in the science curriculum. As to whether they teach the idea of creation I'm sure religious schools would and I guess in public schools it may be covered in opt in scripture classes.

I agree that schools should not be teaching creationism only, it definitely needs to be balanced with factual scientific information, but I feel pretty sure that that must be happening. I don't see how schools could get away with it otherwise? Or maybe I'm being naive.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (21-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I would think that in Australia most schools would have to teach evolution as I'm pretty sure it's in the science curriculum.
    We have a school in our community that is extremely fundamentalist. I know someone who is a teacher and did relief work there for a short period. She told me she stopped accepting days because of how they handled the creationism vs evolution issue. Basically, they have to teach evolution to be able to access govt funding (they are obviously private). But according to this teacher 'teach' is a loose term. She told me they would outline evolution and the physics/science of the Big Bang..... then completely debunk it with the Old Testament and tell the kids why evolution are the teachings of the Devil. And I'm not exaggerating

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast