ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't think I ever had myself together in the first place! I've never been a particularly girly girl (for want of a better term) so things like makeup were always limited to night's out pre-dd. I probably actually use more makeup now in attempt to hide the sleep deprivation!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BettyV For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (19-04-2017),Little Miss Sunshine  (19-04-2017),Renn  (19-04-2017),TheGooch  (19-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes and no.
    i did absolutely let myself go after each of my babies. I gained up to 30kg after each baby, didn't lose any of it until after baby no. 3 then got back to 60kg and felt awesome. Had baby no. 4 and gained 27kg again (only gained 11kg during pregnancy, I gain it all when tired and breastfeeding full time) and am now only just getting myself back on track and down to 67kg and baby is now 18months old.
    When im in the thick of baby days I let myself go big time but as they get older I can find the time & motivation, most likely because I'm not so tired, and start looking after myself again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No. I don't wear make-up anymore and don't get my hair done anywhere near as often, but that's because I don't prioritise those things anymore as I feel more confident to just be myself.
    I never stay in my pj's all day (I detest pj days!), and don't even own a pair of trackpants. I also don't own a single pair of high heels. My normal every day dress is very casual, but it always has been so I don't feel any different.
    As far as exercise...I'm way fitter than what I was before I had children. I've gained 10kg of muscle since before I had children. When DH and I have kid free time together it always involves some form of exercise.
    I don't think of it as 'letting myself go' or not letting myself go...for me I love exercise and the outdoors, and I feel most comfortable within myself if I'm wearing casual clothes. This is simply just who I am. When I spend all day under fluorescent lights I need to get outside and get endorphins working. If I can't for whatever reason it affects my whole mood...I become cranky, unmotivated, I don't enjoy work or the company of others. I also feel really uncomfortable when I do get all dressed up. I'd feel more comfortable running in to someone when I'm out running and sweaty and gross than I would running in to someone if I had fancy clothes on and a face full of makeup.
    Last edited by Full House; 19-04-2017 at 19:58.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

Renn  (19-04-2017),SuperGranny  (20-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    I'd feel more comfortable running in to someone when I'm out running and sweaty and gross than I would running in to someone if I had fancy clothes on and a face full of makeup.
    I love this.

I have to say, I find it a bit scary reading through this thread and yes, even the phrase 'letting yourself go' grates on me. Just reminds me how much appearance seems to be tied in with women's worth. I guess I don't think about it often as it just doesn't matter much to me.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (20-04-2017),Full House  (19-04-2017),gingermillie  (19-04-2017),HeavenBlue  (20-04-2017),turquoisecoast  (19-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, I'd say I'm pretty much the same as I was before I had DS. I've styled my hair and put make up every day since I was about 16 and can't imagine not doing it, ugh that makes me sound so vain!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have reevaluated my priorities.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (20-04-2017),BornToBe  (21-04-2017),HeavenBlue  (20-04-2017),TheGooch  (19-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My eldest is 5 and youngest is 2. And yeah sure at times during my parenting career I have let myself go.

But pre-kids I probably wasnt the most groomed person. In fact I probably am more now! I brush my hair most days, shower and clean teeth everyday, sometimes shave, sometimes wax eyebrows, makeup on special occasions, face creams when I remember.

But I take care of my body more at the moment in terms of exercise and what I eat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Renn View Post
    I love this.

I have to say, I find it a bit scary reading through this thread and yes, even the phrase 'letting yourself go' grates on me. Just reminds me how much appearance seems to be tied in with women's worth. I guess I don't think about it often as it just doesn't matter much to me.
    sorry meant to quote not thank.

the thread was started semi tongue in cheek, partly out of genuine curiosity. and before you start chopping peoples balls off, bear in mind "letting yourself go" can be interpreted many ways and across both genders. my hubby would say he's let himself go in terms if exercising.

you can also "let yourself go" in terms of identity...having less time for yourself so less time to pursue hobbies and interests.

it's you who's interpreted it as meaning purely looks. so who's the shallow one?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes and no. I weigh the same as what I did pre kids and our s.e.x life is very good (actually better than pre kids) but I don't wear make up and do my hair everyday like I used to. Haircuts happen once a year and I dye my own hair now. But dh has never been one to expect those things. He couldn't care less if my legs etc are hairy and would probably much prefer it if I didn't dye my hair (too many greys for my liking though and I can't stand having hairy legs!). The one thing that I feel has changed for me though is my confidence in how my body looks, I'm more wobbly than what I was, my b00bs will never be the same again (thanks to nearly 4 years straight of being pregnant and breastfeeding) and I get really bad break outs since having kids but that's on me and my issues.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes and no.
    I have a bub that does not sleep (or if she does it's less than 40m) so don't get time to do much.
    Showers are 3 mins max. I don't wear make-up. I grab whatever is nearest and clean to wear and live in my sneakers.

Plus side, with little time to eat I have lost 8kg!

ETA: In terms of identity, yep I have completely lost myself.
    Last edited by DT75; 19-04-2017 at 20:51.