ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Baby in a 1 Bedroom Apartment - Doable or Disaster?

Does anybody have any experience living in a small apartment with a baby? Was it a pleasant experience or an absolute nightmare?

We live in a great little 1 bedroom apartment which we love - it's bright and new, looks out over a lovely big green space and the location is perfect. We love it.

Our lease ends at the start of July, and we have a baby due at the start of October.

If we can't get our hands on a 2 bedroom in the same building at the right time, we have the choice of re-signing a 6 or 12 month lease, taking us through until baby is about 3 or 9 months respectively (or moving somewhere else, which I am loathe to do).

I'm torn. A bigger place would be lovely (and obviously will be necessary at some point), but aside from loving where we are now, we would also save quite a bit of money by staying put a bit longer - money which will eventually go towards buying our own home.

What would you do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Do you have a comfy couch your hubby can sleep on? All I know is that the first 12 weeks with a newborn involved me getting up 5+ times a night to feed/settle the baby, and if hubby had to work he would go to the spare room for a sleep so he could be fresh for work (I breastfed so he couldn't help me really). If you're going to have bubba sleep with you in your bedroom it's nice to have a second sleeping area for your other half IMO cause some nights can be hectic. Other than that I don't think have a one bedroom apartment is a big deal with a newborn, especially if they are in a bassinet as you can move them around the house as you wish.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'd stay put if you love it there. Our bub is almost 5 months and (without all our animals) I would have found it pretty easy living in a one bedroom place. We have a convertible bassinet/cot on wheels and she sleeps in our room in that at night. We won't bother moving her into her own room until she's at least 6 months anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think it come downs to how big is your bedroom in your apt and how big is the space to accomodate everything you'll have for the baby. But at what @GingerKat has said is very true. I think the few months are very exhausting and depending on what your dh does for a living he will still need to get some sleep to be able to function at work

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there! I'm due in November, and we'll be sticking with our 1 bedroom apartment. I have no hesitations for a few reasons:

1. We live in Finland, and it's quite common for parents with a child to live in a 1 bedroom apartment. Our closest friend here still lives in a 1 bedroom with her 4 year old daughter.
    2. One of my besties in Melbourne lives in a tiiiiiny 1 bedroom and their baby is now 10 months. (They've been satisfied up until now, but they're looking forward to getting more space with their next move).
    3. Our apartment is walking distance to plenty of shops, public transport, playgrounds and also the health centre I'll be visiting with the baby. (We don't have a car).
    4. Our apartment comes with sports storage, where parents keep their prams, and a seperate storage locker.

I'm not the best person to give advice because I haven't actually had a baby yet, I'm just going off other people's experiences. I'm sure everybody's experiences are different, and I'm not saying it will definitely be better to stay where you are, but if you're happy with where you are, it seems to me like an unnecessary stress to try and think about moving while pregnant into an unknown. I think you'll be able to work with what you've got until the baby is 9 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hold out for the 2 bed in the same bedroom apartment. You'll make it work

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    I'd stay. Babies don't need much space at all. Dh and I tag teamed at night though he did sometimes sleep on the couch but he is a sleepwalker so usually has disturbed sleeping patterns anyway.

We cosleep/bedshare with ds but other space saving alternatives are cosleeper bassinets or side-caring the cot. Cosleeping/room sharing can be done long term to if you're happy with it. Ds still sleeps with us at 3. We just pushed the spare single bed up against the queen.

We are in a 2 bedroom unit but use the second bedroom as a study.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We lived in a tiny 1 bedroom unit when our first was born. It was hell.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's absolutely doable until 1 & would be the norm in many countries.

The reason I say until 1 is I've found with both mine that at that age, they just want to explore, ideally outside, so it gets harder to keep them contained. But if you had good green spaces nearby/kept busy, you could go longer.

One thing that does spring to mind is crying baby + neighbors. How easily does noise travel through your complex?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We did this for over a year..it was fine..a smaller place is easier to clean less to do so more time to spend with baby.

You just need to keep basics...a good book shelf for baby items or good under bed storage.

As long as you have a nice park or cafes near by to take baby out as after 6 months they seem to like looking at different things.

Also try not to buy too many toys if you stay there as they don't need much and love being read to at this age. We also had a sofa bed which I used as a sitting chair...a nice rug to put baby on..and the love those activity mats for the first 9 months.

Butterfly
    X
    Last edited by Butterfly Baby; 19-04-2017 at 19:41.