Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Who wants to raise misogynists?
    I do the same for my sons.
    Hopefully I get it right and they won't be a punch bag for anyone, from school yard to adulthood and everything in between.

They're NOT victims but I'm not going to teach them they're privialiged either.
    The world they're growing up in they'll have to fight for everything they get, we don't have anything to hand to them, even less being immigrants to this country.
    They didn't choose their lives just as much as the next person didn't, whatever colour or race they are.
    I won't listen to the white privilege rhetoric that's rife on the net and in the media these days.
    I've spoke of this before in other threads and it's getting worse.

Just today we had yet another mass killing, three white people being called devils because they're white.
    I won't contribute to that.

Anyway, I don't think this film is about that.
    I think it's relaying real statistics and what's really going on.
    Bubhub loves its stats and facts, even if you think this movie isn't for you it's probably worth watching just for arguments sake.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2016 - Member you'd most like to meet
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Renn View Post
    Look, I'll be honest, I haven't read anything here beyond your OP.

No, I'm not a fan of censorship, but the red pill is just awful. Have you ever visited the red pill (on Reddit)? It's not just men's rights, as much as that's what they'll tell you they're about. They're a group of mysogenists who feel that women exist in order to serve the needs of the 'alpha males'; that women who emasculate men by turning them down are deserving of rape and abuse. I feel sick attempting to read or understand most of their posts, so I can understand why people think that a documentary about them may be harmful.
    This is exactly what I was going to say. The Red Pill and incel sub-reddits are equal measure appalling and alarming. It's hard to balance the notion of being anti-censorship with that of the greater good, but in this case I am concerned about the level of influence these people might have over our young men.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (19-04-2017),Stiflers Mom  (20-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    But they are privileged though?

Even though I'm a woman, I'm white, well educated, I don't live in a DV relationship, I have my own source of income over my husband, I have good health. I'm privileged compared to an Indigenous low income woman nearing 40 in Arnham Land.

And I think the doco is providing far more than just interesting/disturbing stats. There seems to be an inherent and very overt vibe reading the description.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (19-04-2017),Wise Enough  (19-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default The Red Pill.

Quote Originally Posted by Phony View Post
    Agree with most of your post and I share your hubby's fury having listened to my own DH and the issues he has to deal with in hiring people to meet quotas.

However, you lost me at "white middle class men".
    Specifically "white".
    Apart from not even seeing the docu so you don't know what background the men are, it's a racist comment that wouldn't be tolerated if you inserted any other ethnicity in there.

Not wishing to start a fight but it's a real bug-bear with me.

However, I do think the docu is about more than just women and men in the work force, hoping it digs deeper into the male suicide rate.
    I think you're misunderstanding her 'white middle class men' comment. She was saying if the film is a genuine portrayal of issues that are a side effect of things like affirmative action (which I think you are stating that you think it is?) then she would find it interesting. But if it's just white middle class men whining with no genuine basis then she wouldn't. Historically, with topics like affirmative action, it is white middle class men that take issue with it. That's not being racist or contributing to a new 'white racism,' it's just stating that if that's what the film is then she doesn't have interest in it.

I've heard my husband complain about things like affirmative action/positive discrimination, stating how unfair he thinks it is and I don't agree with him and tell him so. I think for many men like my husband, it is easy to feel hard done by by programs like that because they genuinely have never missed out on an opportunity so are truly unable to understand why laws and programs to encourage diversity and opportunities for other races and women are needed.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 19-04-2017 at 18:59.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (19-04-2017),binnielici  (19-04-2017),Gentoo  (19-04-2017),gingermillie  (19-04-2017),Mama Mirabelle  (19-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    This is exactly what I was going to say. The Red Pill and incel sub-reddits are equal measure appalling and alarming. It's hard to balance the notion of being anti-censorship with that of the greater good, but in this case I am concerned about the level of influence these people might have over our young men.
    I really don't think Cassie Jaye has anything to do with the sub-Reddit Red Pill people at all. Will have to look into it a bit more but on the surface they appear to be two completely different things.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheRedPill/...t_cassie_jaye/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default The Red Pill.

From just reading the blurb...I'm pretty skeptical that the documentary would be a fair representation of the issues at hand and it's causes. An example would be the male suicide rate or workplace deaths. 1) I would imagine the suicide rate would have more to do with our lack of funding mental health programs combined with the fact that many men do not seek help for depression, which I would not think historically or currently has anything to do with feminism and men's lack of rights. 2) higher number of workplace deaths...I would assume 1: that there are more men in the workplace and 2) they tend to do more risky careers (construction, fire fighters, police, military, etc). All fields that women want to play more of a role in but experience back lash and pull back when they try.

I do not agree that the film should not be shown though.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (19-04-2017),Gentoo  (19-04-2017),gingermillie  (19-04-2017),Mama Mirabelle  (19-04-2017),Wise Enough  (19-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    I think you're misunderstanding her 'white middle class men' comment. She was saying if the film is a genuine portrayal of issues that are a side effect of things like affirmative action (which I think you are stating that you think it is?) then she would find it interesting. But if it's just white middle class men whining with no genuine basis then she wouldn't. Historically, with topics like affirmative action, it is white middle class men that take issue with it. That's not being racist or contributing to a new 'white racism,' it's just stating that if that's what the film is then she doesn't have interest in it.

I've heard my husband complain about things like affirmative action/positive discrimination, stating how unfair he thinks it is and I don't agree with him and tell him so. I think for many men like my husband, it is easy to feel hard done by by programs like that because they genuinely have never missed out on an opportunity so are truly unable to understand why laws and programs to encourage diversity and opportunities for other races and women are needed.
    OK, fair enough.
    However I doubt this is what the film is about.
    I can't say for sure because somebody somewhere decided they had more of a right to ban it over my rights as an adult to watch it and make up my own mind.

Until I see the film for myself I really can only speculate but the point of my thread was more about the minority of people getting something they know just as little about, banned for the rest of us!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Phony For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (19-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    OK, fair enough.
    However I doubt this is what the film is about.
    I can't say for sure because somebody somewhere decided they had more of a right to ban it over my rights as an adult to watch it and make up my own mind.

Until I see the film for myself I really can only speculate but the point of my thread was more about the minority of people getting something they know just as little about, banned for the rest of us!
    I agree it shouldn't be banned. But I assume it would still allowed to be shown, i.e. It's not illegal, more just some cinemas feel it's not worth it financially? So maybe some independent places will show it?

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2016 - Member you'd most like to meet
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

Default The Red Pill.

I really don't think Cassie Jaye has anything to do with the sub-Reddit Red Pill people at all. Will have to look into it a bit more but on the surface they appear to be two completely different things.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheRedPill/...t_cassie_jaye/
    Yes, they do seem to be different (except for the reference to the Keanu movie), but I'd be amazed if she had no knowledge of it. Which makes me question why she chose that title, but I guess that's a bit conspiracy theorist of me 😂

To be honest I'd probably watch it myself...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post

What she said