Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default The Red Pill.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...cumentary-film

I've been waiting to see this documentary for a long time but it looks like I will have to go about other means to see it here in Australia????
    Thanks to (can't even believe I'm saying these words) feminists!
    The same women who call for equality, would have a film about men's rights shut down just because.
    The hypocrisy knows no ends.
    Please, if I'm missing something here, enlighten me because I just cannot understand it at all.

Does anyone here with sons (or without, doesn't matter) think this is something that should be shut down?

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...4fd221d51795f2

The Red Pill: The movie about men that feminists didn’t want you to see.” This was the provocative headline that ran in Britain’s The Telegraph last November, a teaser for a documentary made by a feminist filmmaker who planned to take on men’s rights activists but was won over and crossed to the dark side to take up their cause.

Despite a ferocious campaign to stop the movie being made, it’s finally been released and the Australian screening was due next week in Melbourne. However the gender warriors have struck again, using a change.com petition to persuade Palace Cinemas to cancel the booking. Palace took the decision after being told the movie would offend many in its core audience but by yesterday 8000 had signed petitions protesting the ban. Organisers are now scrambling to find another venue.

Clearly this documentary has the feminists very worried — with good reason. Cassie Jaye is an articulate, 29-year-old blonde whose previous movies on gay marriage and abstinence education won multiple awards. But then she decided to interview leaders of the Men’s Rights Movement for a documentary she was planning about rape culture on American campuses.
    As a committed feminist, Jaye expected to be unimpressed by these renowned hate-filled misogynists, but to her surprise she was exposed to a whole range of issues she came to see as unfairly stacked against men and boys.
    As news of this very public conversion started to leak out, Jaye came under attack. She was smeared, told she was committing “career suicide” and saw her funding dry up to the point where it looked as if the movie would never be made. Prominent feminists she had planned to interview refused to participate; none of the “human rights” funding she hoped to attract proved available for a documentary on men’s rights.

Then a Kickstarter fund raised $211,260, ensuring the movie’s cinematic release. Over the past month there have been screenings in the US, and hopefully Australian audiences will eventually get to see what the fuss is all about.

The title The Red Pill refers to a scene in The Matrix when Keanu Reeves’s character takes the red pill to expose “the truth” that challenges his closely held beliefs.
    Jaye’s The Red Pill reveals a world where the cultural dialogue is dominated by feminists still complaining that men have all the power, yet the “truth” in most Western countries is that many laws, attitudes and social conventions make life tough for men. Her fly-on-the-wall technique includes interviews with Men’s Rights Movement leaders such as Paul Elam and feminists who oppose the movement, graphics and animations revealing facts about family law and child custody, male suicide rates and the not-so-privileged side of traditional manhood, such as the 90 per cent of workplace fatalities that are male.

There’s a powerful interview with Erin Pizzey, who is no longer allowed near the British women’s refuge she started back in the 1970s, the first in the world. Pizzey ran afoul of the sisterhood by campaigning to expose the truth about women’s role in domestic violence.
    Jaye shows feminist protesters shutting down a talk at a Toronto campus by men’s activist Warren Farrell, screeching at a young man who tried to attend and berating him as “f..king scum”, and on another occasion setting off a fire alarm in a building where a men’s rights lecture was to be held.
    There’s discussion of men’s lack of reproductive rights, which includes a clip from a chat show where the audience cheers when a woman whose husband is resisting a second child says she’s considering going off birth control without telling him.
    Reaction to the movie has been mixed, with the flamboyant anti-feminist Milo Yiannopoulos describing it as “a powerful film on a complicated, important, yet woefully unaddressed issue”. He applauds Jaye for “having the intestinal fortitude to not only tackle this subject, but to do so fairly”. Predictably, the movie has been panned by the left-wing The Village Voice, which calls Jaye an “MRM-bankrolled propagandist”, and the Los Angeles Times, whose reviewer claims she failed to understand “patriarchal systems”.
    Stephen Marche in The Guardian admits that “men do sometimes suffer mistreatment from the courts or from the women in their lives”, but suggests the film fails to demonstrate any systemic cause. “Instead, the author of men’s troubles here is always that vague bugaboo feminism, which we’re told is designed to silence its opponents,” sniffs Marche.
    That’s pretty ironic, given this “vague bugaboo” persists in trying to silence Jaye’s attempts to tell this story. As she points out in her movie, the issues she examines came as a revelation not only to her but to many others exposed to the material she put together. That bugaboo carries a lot of clout."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Phony For This Useful Post:

Hasselhoff  (19-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmmmm ok I'm the mother of 3 boys, one of whom is an adult (22 yro). I haven't seen the movie obviously but I did hear about the screening being cancelled.

I think that affirmative action of any sort (whether it be to improve gender ratios in work places, increase diversity etc...) has the potential to create winners and losers. A number of workplaces/employers have made moves in recent years to increase the number of female employees. Ideally the women should be employed and promoted on merit. So where you have a male and female vying for the job where all other things are equal but the women gets the job because of the current push to increase female representation - it's easy to see how the unsuccessful male may feel poorly done by - that's human nature.

My sons have not been impacted by this - yet. My dh has been as his employer is aiming for a 50/50 ratio by 2020. So yes he has been passed over a number of times in the last 18 months for promotion purely because of his gender. Is he becoming slightly bitter about it, yes he is.

So should the movie be shut down? I'm really not sure without having seen it. If it is indeed an accurate representation of the impact of policies to increase female work force participation, family court rulings, male suicide etc... then no it probably shouldn't be. However if it is a rapid espousing of views by white middle class men stating they are unrepresented and unheard then yeah I don't think we need to hear that.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (19-04-2017),Mama Mirabelle  (19-04-2017),misho  (20-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I don't have a problem with it being shown, I'm not a fan of censorship. But to be honest the blurb had me rolling me eyes. I'm not so sure the issue is feminists but the fact the film kind of denies reality. Statistics the world over show that the world or the workplace isn't ruled secretly by feminists with those poor men under their Birkenstocks.

I kind of compare it to a white American bringing out a doco that in fact Afro-Americans are not discriminated against, that it's whites.

Yes male suicide needs to be discussed and addressed. Same for workplace safety. But that doesn't mean it's all to do with femos or needing a 'red pill'. I briefly showed my husband the write up and he said there are some valid issues (suicide) but that it seems like it was made by men who dislike equal rights but don't have the balls to own it. Let it be seen in Australia to people that want to see it, but I certainly won't be one.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Gentoo  (19-04-2017),gingermillie  (19-04-2017),HillDweller  (19-04-2017),Mama Mirabelle  (19-04-2017),Wise Enough  (19-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Look, I'll be honest, I haven't read anything here beyond your OP.

No, I'm not a fan of censorship, but the red pill is just awful. Have you ever visited the red pill (on Reddit)? It's not just men's rights, as much as that's what they'll tell you they're about. They're a group of mysogenists who feel that women exist in order to serve the needs of the 'alpha males'; that women who emasculate men by turning them down are deserving of rape and abuse. I feel sick attempting to read or understand most of their posts, so I can understand why people think that a documentary about them may be harmful.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (19-04-2017),HollyGolightly81  (19-04-2017),Wise Enough  (19-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by binnielici View Post
    Hmmmm ok I'm the mother of 3 boys, one of whom is an adult (22 yro). I haven't seen the movie obviously but I did hear about the screening being cancelled.

I think that affirmative action of any sort (whether it be to improve gender ratios in work places, increase diversity etc...) has the potential to create winners and losers. A number of workplaces/employers have made moves in recent years to increase the number of female employees. Ideally the women should be employed and promoted on merit. So where you have a male and female vying for the job where all other things are equal but the women gets the job because of the current push to increase female representation - it's easy to see how the unsuccessful male may feel poorly done by - that's human nature.

My sons have not been impacted by this - yet. My dh has been as his employer is aiming for a 50/50 ratio by 2020. So yes he has been passed over a number of times in the last 18 months for promotion purely because of his gender. Is he becoming slightly bitter about it, yes he is.

So should the movie be shut down? I'm really not sure without having seen it. If it is indeed an accurate representation of the impact of policies to increase female work force participation, family court rulings, male suicide etc... then no it probably shouldn't be. However if it is a rapid espousing of views by white middle class men stating they are unrepresented and unheard then yeah I don't think we need to hear that.
    Agree with most of your post and I share your hubby's fury having listened to my own DH and the issues he has to deal with in hiring people to meet quotas.

However, you lost me at "white middle class men".
    Specifically "white".
    Apart from not even seeing the docu so you don't know what background the men are, it's a racist comment that wouldn't be tolerated if you inserted any other ethnicity in there.

Not wishing to start a fight but it's a real bug-bear with me.

However, I do think the docu is about more than just women and men in the work force, hoping it digs deeper into the male suicide rate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I don't have a problem with it being shown, I'm not a fan of censorship. But to be honest the blurb had me rolling me eyes. I'm not so sure the issue is feminists but the fact the film kind of denies reality. Statistics the world over show that the world or the workplace isn't ruled secretly by feminists with those poor men under their Birkenstocks.

I kind of compare it to a white American bringing out a doco that in fact Afro-Americans are not discriminated against, that it's whites.

Yes male suicide needs to be discussed and addressed. Same for workplace safety. But that doesn't mean it's all to do with femos or needing a 'red pill'. I briefly showed my husband the write up and he said there are some valid issues (suicide) but that it seems like it was made by men who dislike equal rights but don't have the balls to own it. Let it be seen in Australia to people that want to see it, but I certainly won't be one.
    I read recently that there is white genocide happening now in SA, don't know enough about it yet but just thought I'd mention it because the world is upside down at the minute, and what used to fit as an analogy very often doesn't anymore.

From what I gathered, and it's only from little clips and online opinions from people who have actually seen the film, it's not about men not liking equal rights at all.
    It's about men asking to be heard.

I will say, I have a beautiful group of women friends, beautiful.
    All unique, all wonderful, but because they're so fab, I never realised some weomen can be absolute B!TCHES!
    I only learned of that by having wonderful male friends who have encountered not so wonderful women.
    It's been a slow process.
    I don't think all women are like this, but I have certainly know of at least 10-15 cases over the last 20 yrs of the kinds of abuses we support women against men for.
    Physical and verbal.
    It happens.
    The men need our support just as much as the women do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Renn View Post
    Look, I'll be honest, I haven't read anything here beyond your OP.

No, I'm not a fan of censorship, but the red pill is just awful. Have you ever visited the red pill (on Reddit)? It's not just men's rights, as much as that's what they'll tell you they're about. They're a group of mysogenists who feel that women exist in order to serve the needs of the 'alpha males'; that women who emasculate men by turning them down are deserving of rape and abuse. I feel sick attempting to read or understand most of their posts, so I can understand why people think that a documentary about them may be harmful.
    I don't read Reddit tbh, maybe a few odd threads that I've been given a link to so I had a quick look there.
    I really don't think they're the same thing.

The Reddit Red-Pillers have been going since 2013, the woman making this documentary used the Red Pill term the matrix too but that's where the similarities end.
    Her film is only a year old.
    I don't think the message is one and the same?
    Do you think maybe the backlash is coming from this misunderstanding?
    Because I have heard nothing but good reviews from people who went to see it thinking they would hate it but came out thinking differently, I'm mostly speaking about women here now, it would be a bit obvious that men would like it.
    If it was full of hatred and just a platform for misogyny then I doubt that would happen.

I'm really keen to see it to make up my own mind.
    Cannot stand that this is being taking away from me (and others) nobody has that right.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Phony View Post
    I read recently that there is white genocide happening now in SA, don't know enough about it yet but just thought I'd mention it because the world is upside down at the minute, and what used to fit as an analogy very often doesn't anymore.

From what I gathered, and it's only from little clips and online opinions from people who have actually seen the film, it's not about men not liking equal rights at all.
    It's about men asking to be heard.

I will say, I have a beautiful group of women friends, beautiful.
    All unique, all wonderful, but because they're so fab, I never realised some weomen can be absolute B!TCHES!
    I only learned of that by having wonderful male friends who have encountered not so wonderful women.
    It's been a slow process.
    I don't think all women are like this, but I have certainly know of at least 10-15 cases over the last 20 yrs of the kinds of abuses we support women against men for.
    Physical and verbal.
    It happens.
    The men need our support just as much as the women do.
    With respect, if you haven't seen it either, then none of us are in a position to judge then until we see it?

If there is a white genocide going on, then that is truly shocking. it doesn't change my example though. I'll bet my butt they are most certainly white males, that isn't racist, it's fact? And as the most privileged group in society it's a bit insulting. Doesn't mean the suicide rates aren't alarming, sad and need to be addressed. But trying to say femos are making things unfair for white males is both factually incorrect, but insulting.

I think you are extrapolating to arguments that aren't there. Just bc I find the premise of this doco ridiculous (or more accurately who is to blame) *doesn't* mean I don't think mean don't need support, or that their lives are perfect.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (19-04-2017),gingermillie  (19-04-2017),HillDweller  (19-04-2017),HollyGolightly81  (19-04-2017),Wise Enough  (19-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    And I will add, my sex is in the minority in my house. I have a husband, 2 sons and a daughter. I'm teaching them from tots to talk about their feelings not bottle them up, that their feelings matter. That it's ok to stay at home as a father.

But I refuse to raise my sons under the idea they are somehow victims *overall* in society. (Note I said overall!!). I'm teaching them to value women, be they a wife, a boss, the chick serving them fries at Maccas. They are white, middle class (we just fit in lower middle lol) and will be well educated. They are the top of the food chain. Doesn't mean they never have a right to whinge, of course they do. But I refuse to raise misogynists.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (19-04-2017),Mama Mirabelle  (19-04-2017)